Author Topic: Colt versus Remington as battlefield weapon  (Read 8491 times)

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
Re: Colt versus Remington as battlefield weapon
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2014, 12:16:57 PM »
Dear PaleHawkDown,
            Yea, I am from England. However, the reason I support the Confederacy, is that in about 1966/7, I learned of an organisation called, "The Confederate High Command."  There was an article about this organisation in a daily Paper, and it mentioned that one of the members was a Colin Fleetney, who lived in Sittingbourne, a town in Kent, not far from where I lived in Chatham.  I managed to find Colin Fleetney, and soon thereafter joined the CHC!  I remained a member until I left the Kent area,and moved to Portsmouth, on the south coast, where it was too far for me to get to meetings.  The British have always had great sympathy for the "Under-dog!" and good feelings exist in Britain toward the Southern Confederacy!  Amongst our Cowboy Association, "The British Westerner's Association," (Which I formed, and was it's first chairman for two years, before moving to Australia.) Most of the "Cowboy's" chose to wear clothing or attachments that were of Southern Origin!  Some of the members formed a C & W Band, and called themselves, "The Southern Rebel's!" They had the Stars & Bars painted on the drummer's biggest drum, and some wore a rather invalid semblance of Confederate Uniform.
            Shortly after I went to Australia, I discovered that there was a CHC chapter there, so I re-joined.  However after a short while, I lost patience with the Gormless Twit who ran the show,(Or tried to!) and more or less told him he was a disgrace to what was probably the finest bunch of fighting men, to ever wear a uniform, and that as far as I was concerned, he could stick it where the sun never shone!!!  Out in the desert one day, they started what could have been a very serious Bushfire, and if my then wife had not seen the danger in time, and thrown a bowl of dishwashing water at the source, it might have caused great loss of property! She and I almost got a handle on it, and at last a few of the others joined in, and we got it under control.  My horse, Amigo, and I DID make the only recorded One-Horse Confederate Cavalry Charge in Australian History, in our backyard of the house at Wattle Grove, Near Perth! It was the first time I had ever carried a drawn Saber on Horseback, and my wife expressed grave fears for the safety of Amigo's ears!  However all turned out well!  If any of you who are NOT good horsemen, ever try this, DO NOT tie the saber to you with the Horseknot!  That's the black leather wrist hold. The equivalent to the revolver lanyard!  The reason being, if you are about to be separated from the horse, THROW THE SWORD AWAY!  You might otherwise do yourself a serious mishap with it!!!  Like the Famous Russian!  "Igor Knackeroff!"
                                                                                                        Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.

I wanted to put together a Confederate Marine uniform for reenactments and CAS. Turns out that an English company is the only one that markets them. Interestingly, almost the entire Marine compliment of the CSS Shenandoah was English, Scottish or Australian. To a man, when they surrendered in England, they claimed they were "citizens of the Confederacy."

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2014, 12:35:14 PM »
Again, I prefer the 1858, but the 1860 has such an amazing balance point that it does seem to naturally point and feels wonderful in the hand. I have every intention of purchasing one of our Pale Rider 1860 .36 revolvers and converting it with a loading gate for this very reason. I just don't enjoy them as much from a black powder perspective. Part of that is that those wedges hate me and I do not enjoy disassembling the guns.

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2014, 12:55:23 PM »
Hi Johnnie, that was a very enlightening and well written reply, thank you. However, there is a Colt I have that I will stake my life on:

I would also feel well armed with an 1860 with .45LC conversion cylinder:

Regards,
Richard

There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2014, 03:25:04 PM »
Dear Richard,
            When I was a City Police Officer in Texas, I caried a 1911 Gold Cup in .45 ACP.  It NEVER malfunctioned, was super accurate, and I always felt well protected when wearing it! (Which I did 100% of the time, for I had an inside-the-waistband-holster, for Plain Clothes carry.)
However, back in 1985, that sucker cost me almost $600.oo, and I got it from a friend who was the chief Deputy of Reserves in  Sandoval County, New Mexico.  He ran a gunstore in the garage of his home, and gave me a healthy discount!  When I returned to Arizona in 2008, I found that my ex-wife had only given a fraction of my own possessions, to my friend to keep for me, and the rest, she had either sold, burned or just thrown away.  I was left almost penniless, and sans most of my books.  Crippled up with Arthritis from shoeing horses for 35 years, I am now dependent on my small pension from the U.K., and my Social Security & Food Stamps! And If I had it all together in one hand, it would not be worth risking jail time to steal it from me!
            I practically cut my teeth on Single Action Revolvers in England.  I had also a number of Colt SA 1873 Look-a-Likes that had solid barrels, and were strictly Blank-Firing-Guns. I used these for my Trick Shooting Act, and believe me, when you do such an act in England, it
truly IS a TRICK shooting act!
            So when I found myself penniless, and with no arms at all, (And I HATED BEING WITHOUT A GUN!!!) I had to save up for quite some time before I was finally able to buy, Betsina!  Then for a spell I managed that Apartment Complex, where all the Drug Dealers, Thieves, and Prostitutes were hanging out, and for some months I got free rent!  That was when I bought Clementina, and later, Sophia!!  I have developed a load, that will most certainly do a world of hurt, to anyone who is unlucky enough to stop it, OR,have it pass all the way through them. I have gotten into the way of handling them, that I believe will stand me in good stead!  If the, "Chocolate Covered Toffee Crunch," DOES come to pass, I will make like a baby, and Head Out, to a place where I can get hold of by preferably honest means, a horse, (or two! failing that a horse & mule.) and returning to the car, will put as much of my gear as possible on the mule. (Or second horse.)  I shall then try and get as far away from people as I can, and put up my tent in a place where it will not easily be seen, until one is almost on it. (I already have the tent!)  I can carry the three pistols and roughly 1,500 rounds of ammo in three average sized Briefcases!   So it won't be much of a task, to get this onto an animal, without over straining it!  Now, for comparison, ask yourself how much say a thousand rounds of .223, plus 500 rounds of .45 ACP would weigh?  If I did run short, it would only be in caps, or lead!  I have 3.5 Lbs of Holy Black, two FULL TO THE BRIM cans of Pyrodex 'P,'Enough Beeswax and Olive Oil to last me the rest of my life. (If I live to age 88! LOL)  I also have 1,200 Pyrodex Pistol Pellets! I have gotten into the habit of keeping my gas tank as full as I can afford, by re-filling it as soon as the gauge registers 0.75! (Three quarters full.)  I am in the process of trying to scope out which church members might already have their two years supply of food, and who might be ready to come with me.  As most of our members are NOT gunmen, and might hesitate to shoot if threatened. ( Under such circumstances I KNOW I would shoot!)  With a full tank of gas, my car, (Barring being held up by some thugs?) will easily get me 225 miles from here!   I know plenty of places where horses can be found much nearer than that!  I would go south, as northern Arizona, while wonderful in the summer, can be as cold as a Witches Starboard Tit in the winter.  During the two years or so that I drove big rigs in the U.S.A., The worst road conditions I EVER came across, was on I-40 at Flagstaff!  I had driven in the Dakota's, Illinois, Wyoming, Montana, and Oregon, but never found such treacherous road conditions as I did that time on I-40! In Arizona!!! It was so bad, I got onto HQ, and asked permission to head south on I-17, and then go west on I-10. Which permission was given!  So I would try and get south of Tucson, and into a wooded area, where plenty of well dried wood could be found for cooking, and make a camp under some trees, where the foliage would filter out the smoke that even a dry wood cooking fire might make.  I'd also take with me some cans of green and brown spray paint.  My tent is unfortunately blue. A color that rarely appears in nature, and would make my camp stick out like a heavily bandaged Sore Thumb!  This might not be necessary if I can afford to buy a large camo tarpaulin!  Big enough to cover the whole tent, and have a sort of entry that could also be camoflaged!  I DO HOPE it doesn't happen, because at my age I really enjoy the creature comforts of a nice home!  But I think I could rough it a little, if the alternative was being herded like an Animal by Fema's Thugs!  Being too hot in the summer doesn't worry me.  But freezing my fanny off DOES!  There are places in the piney woods in some of the national forests south in this state, where you could setup camp, and not see another person for days and days!  So if the Crunch DOES came, you may look for me in Southern Arizona, and the password to NOT get shot at will be: 1858Remington.com!
                                                                                                        Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline ChrisPaul

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2014, 03:24:49 PM »
Buffalo Bill is said to have carried his 1858 in its original blackpowder form long after cartridge handguns were widespread.  He presented it as a gift to someone in 1906 with a note saying that it served him well in his buffalo hunting and Indian War days and never failed him.  I suppose he certainly could have chosen some other gun to carry in those days, or even converted his Remington to fire cartridge rounds, but he stuck to his trusty 1858.  Hope that speaks to your question in some way.

There's a good photo of his gun, and the note, at this link:

http://historical.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=6079&lotNo=44094

Best Wishes,
Chris

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2014, 04:17:26 PM »
Buffalo Bill is  my several times great uncle on the Laycock side. The family story is that some of his amazing "trick shots" really were tricks, and he preferred the safety of black powder loads over the possibility a live round might be put in his revolver by someone else. Apparently he was an amazing rifle shot, but he was less good with a revolver. If you look at his posters and portraits he almost always has a rifle in hand if anything.
Also, he liked to make a showing of carefully loading his revolver while he told his stories. The pauses helped build suspense and punctuate sentences.