Author Topic: Remington 1888-1890 SA  (Read 4075 times)

Offline ern

Remington 1888-1890 SA
« on: December 22, 2013, 12:58:20 AM »
  Howdy Y'all from Yukon Canada . I have recently purchased an old Remington SA that the seller can't even identify for sure need help from a real Remington coinsure . Now this revolver has a 7 1/2 " barrel and is in 45LC . Info I have been able to ascertain is the 45 LC only was available on the model 1875 and the cylinder was longer than the 44-40 cylinder to avoid any accidental interchangeability. And the model 1890 only available in 44-40 . Can't find info on the elusive 1888 was it available in 45LC and is it only the cylinder that is longer or the frame opening for the cylinder longer as well as this would only make sense . The serial # is low and would be under the 500 number of the 1888's I'm trying to figure out if I have a basterdised 1890 or an 1888 that ended up in western Canada and has been hiding all these years . The barrel and cylinder on this gun have been replaced Another mystery was it done to the original caliber or converted to 45 LC . Knowing if the cylinder and frame opening are different would even help . Any assistance would be appreciated or getting aimed in the rite direction works too . Thanking you All in advance . 

Offline Wolfgang

• Wolfgang's Wild West
Re: Remington 1888-1890 SA
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 07:41:06 AM »
Ern . . . don't know any that would help you with your questions.   But sure is a very interesting pistol.  I'll be following this thread. 

Is it marked .45 Colt ?   Do .45 Colts chamber properly ?    :)
Beware the man with one gun,.... he probably knows  how to use it.

Online DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 08:56:35 AM »
  Howdy Y'all from Yukon Canada . I have recently purchased an old Remington SA that the seller can't even identify for sure need help from a real Remington coinsure . Now this revolver has a 7 1/2 " barrel and is in 45LC . Info I have been able to ascertain is the 45 LC only was available on the model 1875 and the cylinder was longer than the 44-40 cylinder to avoid any accidental interchangeability. And the model 1890 only available in 44-40 . Can't find info on the elusive 1888 was it available in 45LC and is it only the cylinder that is longer or the frame opening for the cylinder longer as well as this would only make sense . The serial # is low and would be under the 500 number of the 1888's I'm trying to figure out if I have a basterdised 1890 or an 1888 that ended up in western Canada and has been hiding all these years . The barrel and cylinder on this gun have been replaced Another mystery was it done to the original caliber or converted to 45 LC . Knowing if the cylinder and frame opening are different would even help . Any assistance would be appreciated or getting aimed in the rite direction works too . Thanking you All in advance .
you might try these links to see if they help: Mostly the info is a repeat of your introduction.
It appears though your revolver is original as a 45lc

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Remington-Antique-Revolvers.cfm?cat_id=90 
                          click the auction link on the 1875 for more info once you get there.
 The pics might help you narrow yours down.
Supposedly produced   1875 thru 1889
45lc 44-40 winchester and 44.
your info on cylinder length also appears correct. The different calibers had to be specified.

and this link to the nra museum
http://www.nramuseum.org/the-museum/the-galleries/the-american-west/case-41-competing-for-the-market/remington-model-1875-single-action-army-revolver.aspx

as to cylinder and frame length. Info shows the 45lc cylinder was longer thus the frame opening had to be longer also. The 45lc cartridge is a different diameter than the 44. thus if you were able to put a 45lc in a 44 gun by accident you can imagine the problem upon firing. That bullet was not going to go down the barrel.
Conversely a 44 cylinder in a 45lc there would be considerable end gap, thus being obvious something was not right.
hope it helps and makes sense
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline ern

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 12:37:13 PM »
 Great looks like I'm on the rite page with my findings . Only thing is I wish I could get a letter like Colt and S & W do . I appreciate the feedback my friends . This may not be the rite thread but here are my other two Rem's one 1858 with all repro accessories my hand made case and the other is an EMF 45LC . Hard to find info production info on the EMF other than production year through proof mark initials it's a 2009 (CD) . Thanks again my friends If and when I find anything definite on the 188? original I'll update this post .

Offline Kaboom

• too many hobbies, too little time.
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 12:49:08 PM »
Very nice cased set.  From the looks, you have put much time and effort into it. (T^  Stick around and tell us more (shooting, results, anything about BP C&B revolvers is interesting to us.  {L*   ])M
Black Powder smoke is my aromatherapy!

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 12:55:22 PM »
Very nice cased set.  From the looks, you have put much time and effort into it. (T^  Stick around and tell us more (shooting, results, anything about BP C&B revolvers is interesting to us.  {L*   ])M

And welcome, Kaboom!, to the 100th post, and the doors that open  {?|
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline Kaboom

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 12:59:23 PM »

And welcome, Kaboom!, to the 100th post, and the doors that open  {?|

Thanks, Classanr.  Finally I'm a REAL member of the forum!!!  Yipiiii   (k- (k- {?| {?| _l _l

Offline ern

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 09:42:14 PM »
  Ok we have lots to talk about . that original 1858 . When I bought it . It was my first purchase in the modern era . IE I had been quite involved 30 years ago with being co-executor of the estate of my girl friends Dad . My first visit to his hand gun room revealed more than 250 handguns that I was responsible for and more than 150 long guns . Many antiques but no remingtons ! Time moved on had two kids sold all guns . Now the new era had to have a Remington . Had a Colt back in the day and found it to be a flimsy design . So the storie goes bought it from a dealer guy on Canadian Gun Nutz . It was looking worst for wear in the photos but he assured me it functioned fine . Well B. S. After descuzzing it the barrel was split from the loading lever latch to the muzzle . Other than that it has the armoury acceptance initial all over it . The guy didn't want to reimburse me turned bad . So as the story goes when You got lemons make lemonade ! Found Dixie Gun Works . They listed a replacement barrel for the 1858 . And cheap enough too . Who would have ever guessed being able to buy new parts for a 150 Year old gun . Not original but I still have the original in the case along with all the accessories which also come from DGW . (Cool store) After getting the new barrel installed first time out shot a bulls eye from the standard 10 meters . I think that was my first bull ever with a revolver . I am so Impressed with that gun I want to take it to my grave . Easy to feed and cheap too . I live in the wilderness and preloaded ammo is hard to come by . And the thrill of shooting a revolver that You know has been used in the US civil war is as the commercial says priceless . It always puts a smile on my face . Mine dates to August 1863 . Had a brass adjustable front site on the original barrel . There is 4 notches in the original grips ( four souls I presume ) That's my 1858 story . Kind of had it forced on me but now I'll probly never sell it . Side not -30 c and snowing here . Merry Xmas to all .

Offline Kaboom

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 11:46:38 PM »
Great story on the Remmy.  All my guns have a very simple story....went to the gun shop and bought'm, end of story.  But I still love'm and shoot'm as often as possible. What I would have given to be responsible for taking care of a collection like that.  I keep havin' ta wipe mah chin, sorry.  ])M

Online DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 11:24:06 AM »
Great looks like I'm on the rite page with my findings . Only thing is I wish I could get a letter like Colt and S & W do . I appreciate the feedback my friends . This may not be the rite thread but here are my other two Rem's one 1858 with all repro accessories my hand made case and the other is an EMF 45LC . Hard to find info production info on the EMF other than production year through proof mark initials it's a 2009 (CD) . Thanks again my friends If and when I find anything definite on the 188? original I'll update this post .
I'm sure you can, just contact Remington. Provide all the info they asked for, that you can
http://www.remington.com/
also you might try one of the links here:
http://www.antiqueguns.com/places.htm
Nice cased set there
------------
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline ern

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 02:07:41 PM »
  Thank You DD4lifeusmc ! got linked to the Remington society found an article on a rem revolver serial # 358 that the Remington expert deemed as being an 1888 . Now the serial # on my gun is 302 what do you think . Now to try and get that cylinder frame length info if in fact the frame for the 45 LC is wider at the cylinder opening that would confirm it . In the article they said this # 358 was a 44 Rimfire . Another odd ball caliber as all the 1890's were 44-40 . I think with everyone's help here I'm getting some results in confirming my suspicions . Now I'm going to need an original 1890 to check the frame opening dimensions . Thanks for all the good info .

Online DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 02:32:18 PM »
From what I was able to read, quickly, the 45lc was the only cylinder that was longer. Also Didn't you say yours was stamped 45lc?
I would find the dimensions of the 45lc for your time period.
Compare that with the 44-40 and the 44 remington.
That would confirm your cylinder and barrel sizing.
Also confirm the rim fire vs the centerfire.
Which type hammer so you have.
Because the 45lc is listed as the only one having the longer cylinder, I doubt anybody made any changes to yours.
the bullet appears to be .454
http://www.chuckhawks.com/45Colt.htm

------------
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline ern

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2013, 08:20:09 PM »
 Yes sir my friend that will be the definitive evidence being there were no 1890's in 45LC . And mine is the 1890 style with the base pin it would then be certainly an 1888 . And no I haven't seen any caliber markings on it yet . I don't have it in my hand yet . Only one payment to go before it is paid for . Bought it on time as it was a little expensive . I'm retired mechanic on disability pension . I've taken a gunsmith course and buying refurbishing , fixing  resurrecting I like to call it and selling antiques revolvers and pistols .  So I'm using profits from that venture to fund my Remington passion . Because they are so rare it makes for a more challenging quest . 32 RF 's I buy and sell on a daily basis almost but these remingtons I've only ever seen one other one become available for sale . Seem like the collectors who have them don't want to part with them . And I understand that . Originaly that was intention to buy it fix it make it function well and flip it . Now after all the research and finding out what it is likely one of less than 500 made and being in 45 less than that even I think it's going to be one of those pry it from my cold dead hand guns .

Offline ern

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 07:35:05 PM »
 Here's the next one . I couldn't stand it any more not knowing so ! A known original 1890 came up for sale on one of the Canadian sites I frequent and I had to have it . On the never never plan of course . This one looks very nice .

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 01:07:01 PM »
Very nice guns! I have a very nice 1875 original, nickle plated, with no lanyard ring on the butt.....never had one. I have read that the Indian Police (Native American) carried the 1875s, other than that I have no other info. Looks like you have done your research, time for me to get looking!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 09:46:40 AM by mazo kid »