Photobucket

Author Topic: 1863 Remington Pocket  (Read 16493 times)

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: 1863 Remington Pocket
« Reply #90 on: September 15, 2014, 09:16:35 PM »
Since it was brought up...has there been a single totally new design in forearms in the past 50 years? Seems like everything is based on something else and nothing is really new.
FOREARMS?  no real change in a few thousand years, unless you count Popeye as an oddity! )L$

But firearms  like cars no.  Maybe an improvement here and there, different material, but really different no.
The bolt action came about late 1800 IIRC  the semi auto pistol  1907 (preproduction).
since then been revolver/ semi/ and bolt action  every company does each just a bit different but the end is the same.

Cars  radios were about 1937   they still serve the same function in the same way. just improvements on how.
Air bags ( BTW the first was 1953, nobody answered it last time), again the principle is same now as then, just made better.
Tires?  still round. But look back to the 1900's (early)  model T and such.  very low profile sidewall, What we got today?  low profile sidewall.
Which brings up another question  the Model T transmission is basically a mechanical form of what well known transmission today?
OK OK  way off topic but..............................
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline SourMashII

• Forum Legend
  • Smokin'......
« Reply #91 on: September 15, 2014, 09:50:39 PM »
Since it was brought up...has there been a single totally new design in forearms in the past 50 years? Seems like everything is based on something else and nothing is really new.
Which brings up another question  the Model T transmission is basically a mechanical form of what well known transmission today?

Since you just bought a Patriass or Compiot (sell them and I can't remember which is which, mechanically they are twins), I'm guessing CVT as you probably have that on the brain ATM, lol
Soaking this up like a Parched sponge.

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #92 on: September 15, 2014, 10:24:48 PM »
Nope not a CVT

Since you just bought a Patriass or Compiot (sell them and I can't remember which is which, mechanically they are twins), I'm guessing CVT as you probably have that on the brain ATM, lol
------------
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2014, 09:02:34 AM »
Obviously I was talking about forearms, rather than firearms. You see I was thinking of adding tactical rails to my arm, and then I realized, why not get a Borg arm instead?

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2014, 10:09:58 AM »
Sourmash, you got me confused with someone else.   I don't have a Jeep. Had a CJ5 back in the 70's

But the Model T tranny was the mechanical version of todays Automatic.
the auto has  clutch, planetary gears, a "brake" drum, in it.   So did the Model T tranny. But it was a real bitch to shift. Almost always ground and clanked a bit. push in the clutch, feather the brake drum, slide the shifter into correct gear.
But it was top of the line in it's day.
Palehawk, I got the assembly of tools here for your new forearm. drill, lazer, die cutter,BFH,  I'm sure we could assimilate you!
------------
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #95 on: September 19, 2014, 10:17:40 AM »
Hi, now Midway is promising the 1863 steel framed pocket, soon, see:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1972256885/pietta-1863-remington-pocket-steel-frame-black-powder-revolver-31-caliber?cm_vc=ProductFinding

All these vendors promising "soon" kind of remind me of an old girl friend. Soon never came!  )L$ )L$ )L$

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #96 on: September 19, 2014, 01:34:36 PM »
Sometimes I kinda wish I had a pocket revolver of the 1858 design.  But then I'm not overly fond of the 36 cal.
Yes in most cases it probably would be successful in making an aggressor think twice.
Sometimes it is perfectly acceptable to use an atom bomb when a slingshot would suffice.

So to that end I still would prefer the 44.  Guess one of these days I will have to either modify one of my very old Remingtons, or buy a new one or new used expressly for the purpose of cutting it down.
------------
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #97 on: November 21, 2014, 02:59:25 PM »
We finally got ours in today. I will be putting them on-site shortly.

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #98 on: September 22, 2015, 08:12:35 AM »
Hi, the last Pietta 1863 .31 I purchased is a brass framed revolver, see:

I use this brass framed revolver mostly for display and shoot my steel framed 1863. The brass framed revolver had a hammer pull that required Godzilla to cock it. The steel framed 1863 hammer pull is light and smooth as silk. I was determined to fix that heavy brass frame hammer pull. Two replacement springs were ordered from Taylor to grind down, but neither of them would work, even without grinding. The hammer springs must have changed in my new brasser 1863. May 5h I ordered three more 1863 replacement springs from VTI. They were on back order for months, but finally came in. Comparing the new replacement springs to the original on the brass 1863, the new springs showed more of an arc (smaller radius) than the original spring. On testing the new spring in the brass 1863, the hammer pull went from tons to ounces, a dramatic improvement. The hammer pull of the brass 1863 is now like the hammer pull of the steel framed 1863. No spring grinding was required to solve this issue.

Does anyone think that Johnnie is lusting over my Pietta brass framed 1863 .31 photo?  ;) ;) ;)

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Kid Vermin

« Reply #99 on: September 22, 2015, 01:52:28 PM »
I know I am.  That same one is my next after the newness wears off the 36 cal.  Besides being cheaper, the brass will work for me since it'll probably be for fondling only. got the big 58's to shoot. Too precious to get all dirty. Does the current run have the hump blade front site or the post style ?
Collecting about any color cap and ball revolver as long as it has a top strap and 8", 6 1/2", 5 1/2" or 4" barrel.

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #100 on: September 22, 2015, 02:20:59 PM »
Hi Kid, I think the current production Pietta 1863 have the blade front sight, see:
http://www.oldsouthfirearms.com/1863remingtonpocket.aspx

BTW, the Old South price for the 1863 is a steal. I waited for years just to buy a used 1863 for the current new price for the steel framed 1863.

The 1863 is sure a fun gun, especially when equipped with the Taylor 1863 .32 S&W conversion cylinder. Anyone that tells you that the pocket 1863 is a useless inaccurate handgun has their head up their ass. If you collect Remingtons, the Pietta 1863 is a good one to own. You won't be able to let it go out of your hands for weeks, but then I'm a pocket gun pervert.  )L$ )L$ )L$

Regards,
Richard

Offline Kid Vermin

« Reply #101 on: September 22, 2015, 03:06:10 PM »
Richard
Thanks for the reply and the URL. I prefer the hump blade similar to an original I'm guessing. Next month or so, I'll be ordering the brass version from Dixie for $260+.  Gotta save seniors pennies wherever possible. I thought the cap and ball bug was dead when I sold my Old Army's during the late 90's.
Collecting about any color cap and ball revolver as long as it has a top strap and 8", 6 1/2", 5 1/2" or 4" barrel.

Offline old fogey

• Forum Legend
  • What do you mean "Tax Time Again"?!?
« Reply #102 on: September 23, 2015, 11:20:58 AM »
I think Dixie has 'em in stock ($15 cheaper than Old South, ta boot!).

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #103 on: September 23, 2015, 03:02:43 PM »
Is kind of cute Richard. What's zat you said about a .25 being worthless? I know a guy that, no wait ah second he's dead, shot in the fore head with a .25. No bs, in a bar fight guy walked right up to him and popped him right in the head. We could dig him up to ask what he thinks about a .25, but he'd still be dead and the sad thing is he don't know what killed him. Ani't that sad? Just dead as a barn door. Oh, was that Johnnie that said that? Sorry Richard, I get the two of you mixed up. &j(
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #104 on: September 23, 2015, 03:35:06 PM »
 There are also guys that took several 44 mag solid torso shots and lived. In the Army if u r down to a pistol you are basically screwed. A pistol, any pistol beats a knife, but it still  ain't Thor's Hammer. At times its amazing how delicate a human body can be and at others its amazing how much it can take  ???