Author Topic: 1863 Remington Pocket  (Read 20802 times)

Offline BP Joe

Re: 1863 Remington Pocket
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2014, 07:22:00 PM »
Hello ssb73q,

I've taken a look at these little Remingtons and though that maybe someday I'de pick one up just for fun. A nice day at the range just to relax and punch some paper, but I have not even shot my New army 44 yet so that little gun will have to wait, and probably for a while.

I found an original in Cabela's fine gun room that looked pretty tempting, but as I mentioned in a post for it, I'm saving up for 1861 Springfield, so it will have to wait. The only problem with it was a missing loading lever keeper, but to me it seemed to have a fare price for an original.

BP Joe  ])M

Offline rodwha

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2014, 02:32:09 PM »
ssb: Did you ever receive your Pocket model? If so what do you think of it and how did it measure (bore/chambers)?
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Online ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2014, 02:52:59 PM »
ssb: Did you ever receive your Pocket model? If so what do you think of it and how did it measure (bore/chambers)?

Hi rodwha, I'm still waiting for Old South Firearms to receive the Pietta 1863 Remingotn Pocket. They say July. Time will tell.

I have a couple of the Uberti Colt 1949 .32 revolvers and they are amazingly accurate. Two inch groups from 25yds.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Online ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 08:04:27 AM »
Hi, Kirst allows the use of a brass framed revolver with their .22LR conversion cylinder. The 32 S&W has half the energy of a .22LR.

I emailed Howell and asked them if using a brass frame 1863 Remington would be safe with the Howell 32 S&W conversion cylinder using the above logic. Their reply was basically no, and that a brass frame revolver shouldn't be used with the 32 S&W conversion cylinder. Maybe that's the lawyers speaking?

Old South Firearms says they will have Pietta steel framed 1863 for sale in July. I'm counting down the days.

Lee, any status update?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline edcknives

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2014, 07:36:14 PM »
I am still waiting also. I placed and prepaid for mine in June of 2013 and am told I am near the top of the list when they arrive. Been calling them every other month for a year now.
Live and let live, hopefully. Just don't push it.

Offline rodwha

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2014, 09:39:43 AM »
As much as I like them I wouldn't pay for one and still not have it a year later. That's ridiculous! If this is the way it is when I'm ready to order one I'll just get a Colt Pocket Police instead.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Online ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2014, 12:18:13 PM »
Hi, it's July, where are the steel frame Pietta 1863?  (^h (^h (^h (^h

Regards,
Richard

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2014, 06:52:37 PM »
Dear Friends,
            Back when I had my two eight inch Remington Old Army's, I one day had the urge to get a pair of their teeeensy little brothers, the trigger-guardless Pocket Models.  I bought a pair of brass framed ones, rationalizing that they took so little powder, What The Hell!  Their performance was SO POOR, I threw them into a drawer in disgust, and in the end, GAVE them away to a guy who though they looked,"Cute!"
            Their performance was Pitiful!  I stuffed as much Holy Black into them as I possibly could, and still get the cylinder to rotate, and fired them at some soft pine planks in a nearby vacant garage.  Some of the balls actually stuck in the plank!  They were only just embedded deep enough to retain their hold on the wood, and one of them bounced back out of the plank, and slightly bruised my upper left arm.  By the next morning the bruise was gone!  The accuracy was SO POOR, I was lucky to hit the 8" wide plank from about ten feet!  I would say their value as a personal defense weapon was absolutely NIL!  To begin with, in a state of excitement, (And if you were going to shoot another human Being, believe me, you WOULD be in a state of excitement!) you would be very lucky to hit a human sized target at ten feet with one, and this may be just as well, for if you DID hit him, you may make him VERY ANGRY, and he may then do you serious harm!  In a potential gunfight situation, it would be a little like poking the angry German Shepherd with a sharp stick!  The dog would bite the stick in half, and then begin to leave teeth marks ALL OVER YOU!
            In the Accuracy Dept., Forget it.  Useless for teensy-Weensy Animals, because you'd never hit them with it!  Sights are crude, and on the two I had, the trigger pull was so appalling, I had to pull SO HARD to make them go off, that my whole arm was trembling with the effort.  They are truly, "Mouse Guns," but the mouse would have to be Bloody Close to have any hope at all of hitting the,  "Puir Wee Timorouse Beastie!" as Robbie Burns so aptly described the poor crittur!
            About the ONLY reason I can think of for buying one of these totally useless guns, is that you have every other type of Remington they ever made, and feel the desperate need to have a 100% complete collection of the companies Products! I suppose that you MIGHT frighten a "Puir Wee Timorouse Mugger," provided he had absolutely NO KNOWLEDGE of Guns, and was a total Wuss to begin with!  My frank advice, save your money and spend it on something that, 1/ You can hit something with, and 2.That will shoot a projectile that will do SOME damage when it hits it's intended Target! 
            I wasted a WHOLE DAY, TRYING TO HIT THINGS WITH THAT STUPID PAIR OF GUNS!  If I can save some of you from doing
likewise, this posting will have been time well spent  Of course, as an old Cowhand once said to me in Nevada, "Johnnie, There's folks you couldn't drag into Heaven at the end of a three-quarter inch Lariat, and a 1,300 Lb. Quarter-Horse!" Between you and me, there are few things that won't move for THAT combination!
                                                                                                      Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Online ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2014, 10:18:53 PM »
Johnnie, Johnnie, Johnnie, just because you can't shoot the pockets well doesn't mean that others can't. My two 1849 Colts with conversion cylinders do 2" groups @25yds.

While the 32 S&W has only half the energy of a HS 22LR, it will penetrate 2.5" of telephone book. The .31 caliber pockets of ~1849 were the most successful revolver that Colt ever produced.  Even the small caliber of that day (.22 Short include) was fatal when gut shot. Any sized caliber gun that penetrated the body was a suitable deterrent in the day.

Your experience only provides one data point and based on what you report, you post some bad data about the .31. WWI started because of a .32.

BTW, there isn't a revolver cuter than the pocket revolvers. What more does anyone else need for a reason to buy one?

Regards,
Richard

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2014, 09:14:17 AM »
Hi, Kirst allows the use of a brass framed revolver with their .22LR conversion cylinder. The 32 S&W has half the energy of a .22LR.

I emailed Howell and asked them if using a brass frame 1863 Remington would be safe with the Howell 32 S&W conversion cylinder using the above logic. Their reply was basically no, and that a brass frame revolver shouldn't be used with the 32 S&W conversion cylinder. Maybe that's the lawyers speaking?

Old South Firearms says they will have Pietta steel framed 1863 for sale in July. I'm counting down the days.

Lee, any status update?

Regards,
Richard

The fine, leisurely, gentlemen of Italy are still saying July. We had just about lost hope over our June order, but by golly they got that to us with one business day to spare, so we're hopeful that we'll get them to us by the end of the month.
That New York Police model should be on that shipment too, but that is all they have told us thus far.
I'll be making another order today and I will ask for a status update.

Thanks,
Lee

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2014, 09:19:19 AM »
The people of Italy deal with months in the same way that Vietnamese people deal with hours. It is still July on July 31, and if they come before the end of the next month they are only "slightly late."

My wife is Vietnamese, and when we visited Viet Nam I quickly learned that 10 a.m. meant any time from 10:01 to 10.59, and any time before noon was still acceptable. I have had Brazilian friends with the same logic.

I am pretty sure that the cable and power companies are actually owned by Brazilians or the Vietnamese.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 10:21:47 PM by PaleHawkDown »

Online ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2014, 09:29:23 AM »
Hi, a no BS review of the Pietta 1863 Remington:

Regards,
Richard

Offline rodwha

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2014, 10:52:54 AM »
Another fellow tested his with 12 grns of T7 IIRC and had the balls penetrate nearly to page 800 of a dry phone book with the balls expanded to .400".

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2014, 10:26:25 PM »
Where does one find a phone book that thick these days? When I was a kid the Birmingham phone book was roughly six inches thick. These days it is maybe three inches thick. I just looked, Gadsden, with a population of more than 36,000 has a phone book with less than 260 pages.

Offline jdurand

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Mostly Harmless
    • Company web site
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2014, 10:45:54 PM »
Get a copy of the Congressional Record?
Standing on the edge of reality... (me)
Quando omni flunkus moritati (Red Green)
Let no man belong to another that can belong to himself. (Paracelsus)
All things are poison and nothing is without poison; only the dose makes a thing not a poison. (Paracelsus)
NRA Life Member, Gun Owners of California member