Author Topic: 1863 Remington Pocket  (Read 19270 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
1863 Remington Pocket
« on: December 15, 2013, 09:23:26 AM »
Hi, I am seriously considering getting on the Taylor backorder list for the Pietta steel framed 1863 Remington Pocket revolver. Before you give me all kinds of reasons why I shouldn't want it, know that I understand that the 1863 isn't a good choice of a sexual aid, or defensive revolver.

Having said that, I see lots of negative comments on the 1863, but few by people with actual ownership or are qualified to comment. I have a few questions for those knowledgeable about the Pietta 1863 Pocket revolver:
1. What is the cylinder chamber diameter?
2. What are the rifling land and groove dimensions?
3. What is the cap size for the 1863?
4. Does anyone here have experience with the Taylor .32 S&W conversion cylinder for the 1863?
5. Are spare parts readily available?
6. What is your impression of the currently produced Pietta 1863 quality?

TIA

Regards,
Richard

There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ofitg

• Forum Legend
Re: 1863 Remington Pocket
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 10:18:41 AM »
According to my 2009 Dixie Gun Works catalog....

Bore land diameter is 0.310, groove diameter is 0.326.

They state that it takes a #11 cap (no mention of the cap brand).

Hope this helps.....

Offline rodwha

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 10:58:05 AM »
Chambers run .315" from asking the same questions as you.

Were I to get one that would be a modification I'd deem necessary, figuring a diameter as close to .319" as possible and still be strong enough to handle sporting grade powders using 0 buck.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 03:23:54 PM »
Hi, thanks for the information. From the specs you gave me, it appears that the Pietta 1863 Remington is better dimensioned for the .32 S&W than the Uberti 1849 Pocket. I ordered the Pietta 1863 and a 32 S&W conversion cylinder from Taylor Firearms. Now for the waiting.  M__ M__ M__

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline SourMashII

• Forum Legend
  • Smokin'......
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 03:32:21 PM »
It's kinda cute. Logic or not, I'd buy one just for aesthetics.

Thinking this or a smaller framed .36 needs to be my kids first revolver.

(not the one I just ranted about, we've taken him shooting once, but it reality it was three times... The first time, last time, and only time)
Soaking this up like a Parched sponge.

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 03:32:43 PM »
Hi, seems that the 32 S&W Short isn't that anemic after all, see:
http://www.smithandwessonforums.com/forum/s-w-revolvers-1857-1945/12899-32-s-w-short-hog-story.html

Regards,
Richard

Offline rodwha

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 03:58:51 PM »
Wow!

Were I to get a .31 cal pistol I'd likely have Accurate Molds design me a wide FN bullet the length of a ball so as not to lose any powder capacity, but increase the weight a bit.Maybe even send it out to get a reversible HP pin installed.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Offline WASH BUSTER

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 11:56:47 PM »
I own one with the brass frame .Works great aint a man stopper,sure wouldn't want someone shoting me with it,five balls is five balls ouch.Only good close and personal.

Offline edcknives

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 05:30:18 PM »
I've had one on order and prepaid for one of these since last June. I hope they come in. They have been promising and waiting. It's the Politics and the hesitancy from Italy from what I have been told by Taylors. 

I also own the conversion cylinder and like it myself. I own a brass frame one just one case the steel frame doesn't show. I bought brass, primers, round balls and ammo and all the reloading components last year. I think it's a nice bridge between a .22 and 32 acp.

I also along with my ROA's and Uberti 1858 have bought a bunch of spare parts, springs and such for the '63 as well. Once again just in case it comes hard down the road.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 05:36:13 PM by edcknives »
Live and let live, hopefully. Just don't push it.

Offline rodwha

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 08:17:09 PM »
Why would Pietta or Italy be reluctant?

Offline edcknives

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 07:22:28 AM »
What I was told by Taylor's is that it has to do with all the recent changes and to-do with gun legislation.
Live and let live, hopefully. Just don't push it.

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 01:37:05 PM »
Dear Friends,
            I have owned two of the brass framed Remington Pocket Pistols,and they are a complete waste of money! Unless you want to pay through the nose for a conversation piece!  In their excellent book, "Percussion Revolvers," Messrs Cumston & Bates say that the steel framed Pietta is of excellent quality, and that it's chamber diameter is .312.  The maximum they say you can stuff in the chambers is 12.5 grains, and, "Lesser charges would only exacerbate the already puny performance of the small revolver." They also statted that in endeavouring to get the balls flush with the faceof the cylinder, the rammer broke, and they had tto finish their testing by loading the Mouse gun's cylinder with a ball starter! They also infer that the gun is NOT suitable for small game, as in the case of the specimen they shot, it hit eight inches high, and three inches to the left at only ten yards.(The book said thirty feet, but what the Hell!!)
            In absolute disgust at the Piss Poor Performance of my specimens of this gun., I chucked them in a drawer, and there they remained, until some guy from England came to visit. He thought they were great, (The Fool.) so I GAVE them to him and he smuggled them back into Britain. Later on a more than usually observant police constable recognised them as replicas, and he was darned lucky to escape jail time!
            I found the grip so small, even for my hands, (I am  little guy.)and the trigger pull so atrocious, that I cannot honestly advise ANYONE to waste good dollars on the useless things!  Even with the balls hammered down onto the powder with a Hammer, Mine would bounce balls off a pine plank I shot them at, at a range of abut seven yards! (21 Feet.)  One of the aforesaid bouncers, struck me on the upper left arm. The slight bruise caused had gone by the next day. In my considered opinion, they just plain aren't worth the money. I'd not buy one if they were offered at ten bucks!
                                                                                                        Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 02:06:16 PM »
Hi Johnnie, Ferdinand didn't do too well with the lowly 32 caliber, the first world world was the result, see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archduke_Franz_Ferdinand_of_Austria

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 05:18:28 AM by ssb73q »

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 03:29:34 PM »
Dear Richard,
            Okay, the .32 round HAS killed people, but it has wounded many more!  I read of a story once, many years ago, where a White Farmer and his preteen son, went for a walk together in the Kenyan Brush.  Their walk was uneventful until they returned in sight of the farm house, whereupon the son, exclaimed to his Father, "Look Dad, a Lion on our front porch!"  Then before his father could prevent it, the boy levelled his .22 rifle at the Lion and fired!  The animals head slumped to the verandah floor, and the Father instantly aimed is heavier caliber rifle at the beast.  The Lion did not move, and later examination of the unfortunte cat, showed that the boy's .22 bullet had entered the cat's right eye, and gone straight through to the brain!
            Now our friend who shot the Feral Pig with his .32 Smith & Wesson revolver, did the same thing!  He was VERY LUCKY to hit the exact spot that would incapacitate the pig. The young boy MIGHT have just angered the Lion, and it COULD have turned on them both! An Angry Lion must have enormous vitality!  The story did not mention ow far the Father & Son were from the Lion when the by first saw it, and fired.
            What I am saying here, is that Luck can play a very big part in some confrontations between man and beast, and man and man!  If a
man set out to hunt any of the big cats on the Dark Continent with a .22 rifle, he would be called a fool, or worse! The Green River Killer, who was responsible for the deaths of a great may women, (Most of them,"Ladies of the NIght!") used a .25 Auto.  He would wait until he was out of earshot of any dwellings, then place the gun against the woman's head, and double-tap them!  None of the unfortunate women evr saw it coming!  I don't thik any of us on the forum would ever from choice, carry such a small caliber pistol as a self defense gun. It wounds far more
than it kills!
            Arch Duke Ferdinand was very unlucky, so were the women the Green River Killer picked up! So was the unfortunate pig killed by our Forum Member!  Luck played a pretty big part in these killings!  Had our friends bullet not hit the Pig just where it did, he might well have finished up like the Queenslander in Australia, who had to have about 130 stitches put in him, when he got a dud primer!  A man who was possibly the Dean of Practical Pistol Shooting, the Late Great Jeff Cooper, maintained that you needed a BIG bullet, that left a BIG HOLE in your antagonist, to be sure of putting him out of Action!  Elmer Keith said the same thing. A friend and I in Australia PROVED Elmer was right,
when we both went Kangaroo shooting, he with his .357 Carbine, and me with my Lever action in .44-40.  My 'Roo's were anchored by the first round! Sandy's two had to be shot twice and three times respectively, before they were STOPPED! 
            Most Practical Pistol Instructors agree that to give one the best chance of surviving an armed Confrontation, you need a .44 or .45 handgun.  Those who tout the 9 mm, are foolish. The 9mm WILL KILL, but not everyone will have the coolness and presence of mind to place the first bullet where it will do the most harm. Lets face it, NO-ONE who has never faced a possible shoot-out situation before, KNOWS how he will react when the chips fall. Hands will shake, knees will tremble, your heart will be racing. A BIG caliber IS very important, because if your
unsteady hand causes you not to hit your antagonist in a vital spot with the first round, the bigger the bullet you hit that sucker with, the more HE will be disoriented, and this may give YOU the time you need to steady up, and put the second round dead center, and end it!
            Say you are faced with a, "Home Invasion Situation!" Yoou have these thugs in your home, and your gun is on top of the top row of books in the bookcase. Well back, so as not to be easily recognised as a gun, but you know it is there!  You will have to pretend to be scared
witless, and put on an act, that will let you cower on the floor near that bookcase. Tey may say, "Where's your money!"  You could say, "We keep it hidden!"  Then offer to show them where, and take a big book from the bookcase, and hand it to them!  Say, "There's 100 dollar bills in between the pages!" As the riffle through looking for the loot, you reach into the bookcase, and try for two or three real quick headshots!
            No matter what your home situation is, try and think what you would do, IF something went down!  Have a PLAN!  Make sure the little Lady, and any children old enough to understand, know what to do, IF!
            I know the chances of any of us facing a situation like this are remote. BUt read in your, "American Rifleman," the details of the column, usualy on page 10, "The Armed Citizen."  I'm willing to wager not one of those people featured in that section, if you had asked them if they thought they might ever have to defend themselves or their families, against an armed villain, they might well have answered, "No! Never in a Month of Sunday's!"  All of us MAY be featured in that section AT ANY TIME IN THE FUTURE!  We cannot tell what is in store for us!
So be like the Boy Scouts, and BE PREPARED!
                                                                                                        Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 07:13:43 PM by Gunslinger9378 »
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 03:51:00 PM »
Hi Johnnie,  I would never take a .32 to a gunfight, a .308 or 30-06 would be my choice. .45 ACP or .45LC is my choice in a handgun. Having said that, those .32 1849s are as cute a gun that has ever been produced. A 32 may not afforded the owner much protection, but they sure concealed well and gave their owners more confidence than carrying a knife. Your potent loading of 10gr BP booster and Pyrodex pellet will always get the job done, in spades!  {?| {?| {?|

Regards,
Richard