Author Topic: The High Standard Griswold & Gunnison  (Read 3543 times)

Offline Fingers McGee

• Central Ozarks Western Shooters
The High Standard Griswold & Gunnison
« on: August 17, 2011, 10:33:49 PM »
Since I started a thread on the Schneider and Glassic made by High standard, I dug through my reference materials and pulled out this article on the Griswold and Gunnison.  I'll start another thread for the Leech and Rigdon.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 10:36:10 PM by Fingers McGee »
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS 28564-LTG-Regulator, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Founding member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters.  Member:  The Ozarks Posse, Southern Missouri Rangers, Moniteau Creek River Raiders, Butterfield Trail Cowboys.

Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Lizardo

Re: The High Standard Griswold & Gunnison
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 02:28:07 PM »
Thanks Fingers! I seem to recall seeing that article years ago, just can't remember where...
Weebles wobble but they won't fall down...

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 02:22:05 AM »
Fingers, Nice article. I like it.  ;)
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Online Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 05:04:10 AM »
That's some good history there Fingers. Thinks for posting. There's so many different Colt revolvers out there I get them confused with one another. That's OK. I'll be the dummy for today.  :-[
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 05:39:15 AM »
dont worry, when it comes to mcgees handgun knowledge, were all pretty much dummies too!
if yall get this way,drop on by!

Offline caferacer

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 09:36:59 PM »
gonna try and post some pics here of my High Standard Bicentennial model
smoke em if you got em

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 02:37:19 PM »
Dear Friends,
            I have recently joined the ranks of Netflix Watchers, and have been looking at the series, "Hell on Wheels."  In the first episode, The Hero, one Cullen Bohannan, takes vengeance on one of the Union Soldiers, who had a hand in the ravishing and Murder of his wife.  He shoots the man to death in the Confessional of a Catholic Church In New York, I think it was.  Later on,
some references are made to the man being murdered with, "A Griswold!"  Since this brass framed revolver was .36 caliber, in company with a great many copies of Col. Colts Navy of 1851, how could anyone have know what type of pistol was used in the assassination of the Union Rapist?
            The series seems to have great merit, especially in their depiction of almost EVERYONE wearing or carrying pistols of the Percussion Persuasion.  Even though for the most part, they show them being fed with cartridges into conversion cylinders! It would not have hurt to show the revolvers being replenished with fresh cylinders!  Of course, this would have taken a longer time with the Colt type design,  Also to be more realistic, they would have had to show panicked men, dropping either the barrel or perhaps BOTH the cylinders in their extreme haste to be able to continue the fight!
            My first wife bought me a copy of the Frederick Remington Painting, "Attack on the Wagon Train."  It showed a young man, who had obviously been leading the two Oxen pulling the wagon, about to enter a stream. Coming up fast on the wagon's left is a Comanche Warrior,  lance poised to pierce the young man's throat. In the dusty background other warriors can be seen causing their share of havoc.  It was shortly after this that I got my very first Percussion revolver, "The Thrice Accursed 1860 Army!"  I often wondered how many frontiersmen, perished at the hands of the Warrior Tribes, because a spent cap fell into the innards of their pistols?  Also how many other Frontiersmen survived, because they had the foresight to buy themselves a Remington Revolver.  Which, if loaded judiciously, ALWAYS goes BOOM when the trigger is squeezed!
            To return again to Cullen Bohannan, the last episode I was able to view, showed him talking to a man who had tried to shoot him, and who turned out to be the brother of the man Cullen had shot to death in the Confessional!  Cullen has the drop on this guy, and says to him, referring to the man's desire, and attempt, to kill him. "Is there anything I can say to you, that will cause you to change your mind?"  The man answers, "No!" Cullen sighs regretfully, then squeezes the trigger of the Remington he is now carrying, and shoots the guy right between the eyes!  I thought that was SO COOL!  Exactly as any sensible person would have reacted, "Back in the Day!"  Oh that things could return to the simplicity of those Times!  I could get rid of the Old Phart down the street, who because Sheba barks at his pet Beagle, is convinced that she is a dangerously savage dog!!  Also the old lady, who has a suicidal Chihuahua, that Yaps at Sheba, and strains to be able to get at her!  The noisy little Bugger would just about fill Sheba's Hollow Tooth if she had such a thing! Some Saleslady rang our doorbell the other day. When I opened the door, there was Tall Hawk-Nosed Raven Haired Lady.  She looked like a Test Pilot for a Broomstick Factory! Before I could open my mouth, she told me she had come all the way from Las Vegas, to give me a gift, and waved one of those glittery little bags at me, which had a contrasting Bow fixed to it.  She looked astonished when I Lifted
my left foot off the ground. shook my leg, and said, "Try pulling this one. It play's "Annie Laurie!" Then I shut the door!  I waited, and it took ten seconds or so before what I had said sank in, and I heard her footsteps retreat!  It takes all sorts, that's for sure!
                                                                                                      Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline Fingers McGee

• Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 06:51:24 PM »
 (&>   :-*
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS 28564-LTG-Regulator, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Founding member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters.  Member:  The Ozarks Posse, Southern Missouri Rangers, Moniteau Creek River Raiders, Butterfield Trail Cowboys.

Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline old fogey

• Forum Legend
  • What do you mean "Tax Time Again"?!?
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 10:41:39 AM »
Amazingly enough, some "n.o.s." parts are available for these (as well as the Leech & Rigdon,) over here!