Photobucket

Author Topic: We're they GENIUS?  (Read 2748 times)

Offline win1885

We're they GENIUS?
« on: November 28, 2013, 04:28:40 PM »
I don,t know about you fellers, but I,m thinking the designers if the Starr were purtnere genius.
What a neat pistol!  I'm thinking that Clint Eastwood would have used one if he knew a of them.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
Re: We're they GENIUS?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 05:08:04 PM »
I like them Starr guns too!  ;)

I'm a fan of Clint Eastwood too!  {?|
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 05:00:45 PM »
I love top break designs. I think the Starr was practically the grandfather of the Webley (and the S&W "Russian" was the daddy)

Offline Lizardo

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 10:54:37 AM »
I believe Clint did in Unforgiven.
Weebles wobble but they won't fall down...

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 11:36:59 AM »
I also think they were (are) a neat gun! Unfortunately, the days of finding one at a low price are long gone. Unless you run across a fixer-upper, you will be paying big bucks for one.

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 12:46:16 PM »
The Starr SA is one of those still on my "Short List"
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 02:08:26 PM »
Dear Friends,
            Apparently the double action Starr revolver was a VERY complicated Mechanism, and not at all suitable in a weapon designed to withstand the rigors of War!  The two gentlemen who combined to write, "Percussion Revolvers,"  say that they had endless difficulties in getting their Pietta to fire. One of the main problems being that it would not go off!  They tried putting shims under the nipples, and this worked for SOME of them. Then Bates put a washer in front of the cylinder, and tis solved the firing problem, but produced another! An un-acceptably large cylinder/Barrel gap!They say that one Officer from the War of Northern Aggression, (They do not say which side he fought on.) said that: "The inventor should be hanged as a Traitor, for foisting such a contraption onto a nation at war!"  It did not survive the post war period.  Apparently, several Re-enactor groups, including the "North-South Skirmish Association, put pressure on to try and get replicas of the Starr made, and Pietta did make some.  Cumpston and Bates got hold of one, and then began a long period when they spent a lot more time filing, coaxing, and fiddling with the thing,  especially trying to fix broken springs, than they ever did shooting the bloody thing.  They also said that contemporary purchasers in the 1990's, became so exasperated with the non-functioing of the thing, that they spent time casting about for someone to Lynch! One ownersummed it up witha commendable economy of words! "Mine was a piece of Junk!"
            In the Movie, "Unforgiven," Clint Eastwood did indeed use a Single Action Starr!  I personally have never really taken to the pistol, as I have always considered it to be singularly UGLY! The
Remington, and even the Colt, have pleasing lines, and are almost Elegant!  The Starr , to me, always looked un-balanced, and reminded me in part of that MOST ugly of revolvers, the British Webly & Scott.  The last named WAS highly functional, and my late Father once told me of one that was dropped in Gooey Flanders Mud, then was snatched up by the Officer, who then proceeded to fire several rounds at the oncoming Huns. (Who were at that moment, close enough to the British Front Line to make the use of a pistol practical!)  Dad was apparently thumbing clips into his S.M.L.E. at the time!
                                                                                                                                                            Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 07:43:39 PM »
Johnny, you are correct about the non-functionability (is that a word?) of the Starr DA....both in times of yore as well as in the modern replicas. The Single Action Starr had no such problems then or now, which is why I want one.
Yes, it is one ugly duckling, like my Rogers & Spencer, but in being so, has a distinctive look that I find appealing. Not to mention the break-action effect is mondo-cool.
When you are a collector of Civil War era guns, one likes to have a specimen of each type.
Come to think of it, the Paterson Colt was pretty ugly too, but I want one. Maybe I should see a doctor..... (^h

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 09:24:09 AM »
We tried to order the Starr reproduction, and even the Italians tried to talk us out of it. Still, I love a top break.

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 01:17:24 PM »
...  Maybe I should see a doctor..... (^h

No, don't see a doctor. Won't do you any good. You should see an antiques arms dealer.

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 07:32:52 PM »
...a Single Action Starr!  I personally have never really taken to the pistol, as I have always considered it to be singularly UGLY!
                                                                                          Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.

Out in the deserted street, the shootist chewed on the stub of his cigar, lifted an eyebrow, frowned, pulled the stub out of his mouth and spat on the ground.  "You do know yer supposed to bring a gun to a shootout, right?"

Johnnie, twenty or so paces downstreet, stuck his hand in his left holster, pulled out a loaded cylinder from the inventory within.  He tugged a shiny new claw hammer out of the right holster, turned his body sideways, raised up the cylinder and started to swing the hammer towards the shootist he'd challanged to this high-noon duel.  Keeping his eye on the caps, Johnnie aimed to percussion-fire the cylinder, if he could manage to keep from smashing his thumb.

Lying on his back, gazing up at the fading faces, pain filling where his blood was oozing out, Johnnie wheezed "All they had at the dry goods store was a singularly ugly Starr."  He coughed his last.  "But they did sell me this here Remington hammer."

They had to pry the Remington from Johnnie's cold dead hand to nail shut his coffin.
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 08:00:07 PM »
 (?^
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 11:03:28 PM »
 ->i  (?^  )L$

Offline WASH BUSTER

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 12:59:35 AM »
My D/A works great,you just can't rush the action