Author Topic: New Dance Pietta Pix  (Read 2153 times)

Offline jchiggins

New Dance Pietta Pix
« on: November 15, 2013, 07:08:10 PM »
Nice gun. $269 from Cabelas. Good bore, figure in grips. Nicely finished. Some touch up and smoothing but nothing major. I like it.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
Re: New Dance Pietta Pix
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 06:05:42 AM »
Looking good there!  ;)
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline jchiggins

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 10:18:11 AM »
Looking good there!  ;)
I was suspicious about Piettas quality having to return one lately but this was a pretty well turned out gun. All the blue and case was nicely done and fitted. The bore was nice but rifling shallower than I'm used to seeing. It will do.
The grip needs a little work but the figure was nicer than the Ubertis I've gotten. The hand looked ugly finished but the bolt was finished and polished as you would never see in a Uberti plolished and really smoothed.
The brass frame and guard was finished okay but whoever buffed it left all the detritis on the brass, I had to scrub of the rouge or what ever they used. Odd. Like the steel and brass were made by people with different work ethics.
Oh well. Over all I'd give it a 95% and the Ubertis I get 98% on average. That's why it's a hobby. I get to mess around with them improving on the factory and I dont have to pay $500 for a perfectly done gun.
One annoying thing, this gun takes .451 balls. My Uberti 1860 takes .454 I made a flapper out of a dowel and with some lube and wet/dry 320 grit paper I will open up the chambers from .446 to .449 like the Uberti uses.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 10:36:04 AM »
Yeah, I know what you are talking about on the brass parts.  ;)
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 01:55:01 PM »
How's that work out without a blast shield JC? I never handle one of those but wondered about the missing blast shield. I just kind of like knowing it's there between the nipples and my face. Even with one I still feel stuff hitting me in the face from time to time. I see the most of the hammer area will shield you, but how about the caps flying off the nipples and such? (^h
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline jchiggins

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 02:25:35 PM »
How's that work out without a blast shield JC? I never handle one of those but wondered about the missing blast shield. I just kind of like knowing it's there between the nipples and my face. Even with one I still feel stuff hitting me in the face from time to time. I see the most of the hammer area will shield you, but how about the caps flying off the nipples and such? (^h
I have not shot it yet. I'm smoothing and working on it. I imagine it's no big deal unless you had a chain fire then fire and smoke would come back right at your hand and face through the nipple hole. But then on a chain fire you would have other problems as well. I can't see a reason for a nipple to fire back at you unless you had cross threaded one and had a loose wobbly nipple but then only a moron would shoot a gun in that condition.j

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 11:38:21 PM »
Well the gun sells and that's got to count for something. The only time I every noticed anything going on with the nipples on these kind of guns was when I loaded up one of my rifles with a charge of Triple 7. Every time I'd fire a round off it would plug up the nipple hole. I never had that problem with Pyro or Goex. I stopped using Triple 7 long time ago, but still have a couple bottles. I might get it out and try some light loads with it just to get rid of it or not.  ???  :(
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline jchiggins

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 05:41:35 PM »
YEah. I have a couple bottles myself. I wonder how harmless the smoke it. I shoot 3f in all these guns.