Author Topic: Lee .456 conical.  (Read 1475 times)

Offline Lostcat

Lee .456 conical.
« on: November 14, 2013, 02:44:29 AM »
Should read "ok,so I had to get a ROA because" but I'm now the tempory custodian of a 2006 SS target. as good as unused,spare cylinder (no belt mountain conversion pin yet) and original box ect. Paid £450 ($720 ish) so not excessive for here.
Cherry grips and XRN grip frame,XR3 red grips are different,I have some spare in cherry from a vaquero that I have no use for now.
Issue being that Lee have moved on to a mold type that uses alignment pins, sure they are easier to produce but they don't make the seemless conicals I've been used to making.
Sent mold back as the halves are out by enough to make .003 out of round,with visible step at the seem.
Problem is they don't all stay seated on recoil,good for the pot only. .457 RB are out of stock here in the UK currently but hopefully some of the new stock will be good enough.
Other notable thing is how smooth the action on Uberti Rems feel after a ROA.worlds apart.not a complaint though.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
Re: Lee .456 conical.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 08:27:53 AM »
Hi Lostcat, Great to hear ya got a SS Target one!  {?|

Your Lee .456 Conical mold, are you sure it's .456?
I thought they were only .450 and a .457 Lee Conical Molds.  (^h
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Lostcat

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 03:32:17 PM »
It had etched into the top of one block 220-.456,
 Made for the Ruger ,
Leeprecision,Inc. part number  90384 will get the mold up,says $25.98. BUY NOW. can't argue with that.
I was checking after each shot for movement as some didn't feel tight enough on loading.
Started a chamber at a time as it's all a bit pristine.
Had to push a couple down before firing so stopped there.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 03:48:27 AM by Lostcat »

Offline Lostcat

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 06:41:10 AM »
Update on Lee molds.
The new style LEE locating/alignment pins are not a good thing,I can see that they would cut down on machining cost but the problem is the locating pins and sockets move back into the blocks,when hot my guess would be that the pins are not so tight.
It allows for sideways movement,that will produce out of round,regardless of any insistance in the instructions that out of round is invariably caused by contamination on the surfaces.
I've cast thousands from the old design without any problems.
Anyway it is possible to tap the sockets or pins back down till they locate properly and I've got enough RB .457 and Conical .456-220 to try out.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 10:20:34 AM »
Cat, could you drill and tap the back side of the mould and put set screws in to help stabilize those pins? I have an old Lee .457 mould that I got with my ROA 30+ years ago. I have never cast with it, the base of the bullet is chewed up a bit, but don't think it would hurt accuracy much.

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 11:39:24 AM »
I have one of the new lee moulds with the new pin.  In the .380 size.
So far after a thousand RB's out of it no problems with the casts.
I do prefer lyman over Lee, but sometimes funds dictate.
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline Lostcat

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 12:30:27 PM »
I have the new style .457 RB also,so far it's ok with that but there is a more noticale seem than the old type.
Got RB .380 and .454 and conical .450 and .375.

It shoud be possible to tap or maybe even just force a screw to cut in to secure the pins,would be possible to drill and tap from underside also,just seems a shame to change a design that worked so well,I'd rather pay the increase that would keep the old design viable.
Got used to closing the molds firmly,maybe a gentle touch will be better,either way I liked buying molds that work from the box.