Author Topic: 1858 Remington wiki/historical threads  (Read 7441 times)

Online Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline kwilfong

Re: 1858 Remington wiki/historical threads
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 06:15:42 PM »
 Good stuff there! :-X
I reckon so

Online Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 11:09:57 PM »

Offline Colt

• Banned
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 10:06:08 AM »
Another interesting thread

http://civilwarhandgun.com/remington.htm

Pretty biased opinion, and some false information to boot. He obviously never took apart a Colt.

I have a question about spare cylinders for Remingtons during the war. The only reason the Army went to Remingtons is because they were cheaper. A Remington was $15, and a Colt was $25. If they were going to supply all the soldiers with a bunch of spare cylinders. That sort of makes the cost a moot point. Did the soldiers really have spare cylinders?

Now I read they had a Remington with a pin that was very hard to remove, because the Army didn't want the soldier taking the gun apart during battle and dropping the cylinders. Pietta must have copied that model  :P
Pete

Online Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 10:17:30 AM »
Pete, I don't believe that many infantrymen had extra cylinders. Officers, maybe.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 02:22:12 AM »
Pete, I don't believe that many infantrymen had extra cylinders. Officers, maybe.

Nah it wasn't done. Infantry were issued sidearms in the beginning of the war but most were lost, tossed or sent home. An infantryman isn't going to carry one single item he doesn't have to. They even tossed their bayonets. Cavalry used the most revolvers and Southern cavalry and Rangers carried multiple revolvers. There is no record of any extra cylinders being bought by the military on either side. There are records of pistols bought, extra nipples, screwdrivers but no cylinders. There's no record of cylinders being sold by the manufacturers. There's no written record of first hand accounts of it being done. There's no pics of cylinder pouches, there's no museum evidence, there's no archaeological evidence. Simply wasn't done. It's another Hollyweird invention not seen til ol Clint did it in Pale Rider. BTW for every case of 50 revolvers they bought 50 extra nipples. That's one spare nipple for each revolver and you think they're gonna spring for extra cylinders? 
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 05:27:09 AM »
 (?^ sounds just like today, always under equipped!
if yall get this way,drop on by!

Offline Smokin_Gun

• Forum Legend
  • "American by Birth, CSA by Choice"
    • SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 10:14:17 AM »
There's no record of extra cylinders for either Rems or Colts not being carried either ... one would adapt and ovrer come in Battle as seen fit ... a dead Troop fallen next to you with a loaded Rev would be used the same me way as  a bandoleer or spare mags in Viet Nam or the Big Sand box ... would ya carry the Rev or carry a spare cylinder ... as far as nsix shots bein fired from a Rem and a Cyl. pin stickin... that's pure bullshit. The Feds asked for the better Rem to be modified from the 1861 Old Army Rem cause the T handle snagged when drawn pullin' the pin ot and allowing the cylinder to fall out ... the 1858NMA was the answer to the Army's wants and and was the Soldiers preferred Revolver ... many dumped the Colt and grabbed the Rem ... the Rem was even bought by the soldiers to take home at the Wars end.
I doubt many Colt had spare cylinders but I could see that Rem  & Star carriers may have taken advantage of common sense would tell me I would have carried spare cylinders spare loaded cylinders...
Anything could have happened but we weren't there ... so why is there so much negativity Colt or Rems and puttin' down fine revs when nobody knows what really happened ... that kind a talk drives me away from any discussion or forums as a rule ... you folks are my Brothers here on BPS so I feel the need to let y'all know what I know and think...
These type of threads on other forum is why I do  not participate in them anymore here I'm home and talkin' with good friends...
Just my opinions and knowledge... ])M
SG
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 10:34:07 AM by Smokin_Gun »
Served with the 43rd Virginia Cav Mosby's Rangers...
I favor an 1858 Remington .44 Revolver ... and I Smoke Black Powder

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php

Offline Rock Island

• Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 01:07:56 PM »
Often wondered how the Union soldier felt about either revolver during The War, I suspect he would have been happy just to have either one to pack when the shooting started.  Most could only afford cheap imports sold to them at hiked up prices, little pocket pistols from Belgium, or France.  Compared to that junk the Remington, and Colt revolvers must have been like finding a $20 gold piece on the ground.  Buffalo Bill loved the Remington, Wild Bill the Colt Navy, both were experienced shooters with real gunfights behind them, and neither was an idiot, both revolvers are pretty dam good for their time.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.  Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 04:42:15 PM »
Infantry soldiers on neither side carried sidearms. They did at the outset of the war but that didn't last long. Cavalry and officers are the ones that used sidearms. I can't imagine trying to reload or swap cylinders while on horseback. If there had been spare cylinders used somebody somewhere would have left some kind of record of it. There's nothing.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Smokin_Gun

• Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 05:20:16 PM »

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 05:28:06 PM »
Anybody can post anything they want to in wiki.

Offline Smokin_Gun

• Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 05:31:28 PM »
You mean just like we do Hawg )L$ (?^ ;)

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2011, 05:49:10 PM »
You mean just like we do Hawg )L$ (?^ ;)

pretty much. )L$ Seriously tho nothing is verified on wiki.

Offline fl.hipneck

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 09:09:33 AM »
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 09:27:52 AM by fl.hipneck »