Author Topic: I can use my capper now. (pics)  (Read 2934 times)

Offline argo_69

I can use my capper now. (pics)
« on: September 26, 2013, 08:04:27 PM »
 I got my Machinist friend to mill out the nipple opening on his Bridgeport so I could use my capper & it worked out fine. No more fumbling around  with the thumb & fingers.

Offline BartSr

• Muzzle Loaders are Fun
    • Love of Muzzle Loaders
Re: I can use my capper now. (pics)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 11:01:27 PM »
Very Nice, I like it!
Was it cheap?  ;)
Paul
Making Underhammers and Muleys too.
NMLRA & NRA EPL, Muzzleloader Mag.

Offline argo_69

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 09:41:37 AM »
Very Nice, I like it!
Was it cheap?  ;)
It was free. I said my Machinist friend. Actually he lives 600 miles (NJ) from me (NC). I use to live about 9 miles from him when I lived in Pa. I`ve known him for 30+ years & we were  close friends. When ever I get a machine job I wait until I go north to visit  family  & go over to see him for a day & have a BS session & lunch together & he will do any little job for me. He is self taught & very good at  his work. He`s one of these guys if he can`t make it or fix it, it can`t be done.

Online ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 10:42:25 AM »
Very Nice, I like it!
Was it cheap?  ;)
It was free. I said my Machinist friend. Actually he lives 600 miles (NJ) from me (NC). I use to live about 9 miles from him when I lived in Pa. I`ve known him for 30+ years & we were  close friends. When ever I get a machine job I wait until I go north to visit  family  & go over to see him for a day & have a BS session & lunch together & he will do any little job for me. He is self taught & very good at  his work. He`s one of these guys if he can`t make it or fix it, it can`t be done.

Hi Bart, while machining out the cylinder makes loading caps easier, it may increase the danger of loading precharged and capped cylinders. It would be much easier for a discharge if dropped or a cap is hit. I think that opening up the cylinder area around the nipple also increases the risk of cap parts flying off at a shooter when firing. Maybe there was a design purpose in the 1858 cylinder with its small cap access opening?  (^h (^h (^h

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 02:21:46 PM »
Hi Bart, while machining out the cylinder makes loading caps easier, it may increase the danger of loading precharged and capped cylinders. It would be much easier for a discharge if dropped or a cap is hit. I think that opening up the cylinder area around the nipple also increases the risk of cap parts flying off at a shooter when firing. Maybe there was a design purpose in the 1858 cylinder with its small cap access opening?  (^h (^h (^h Regards, Richard
I was wondering the same thing. Argo_69, give us a report when you get a chance to shoot the ROA.

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 06:38:18 PM »
I modified my straight line capper to work on my NMA and it also works on my Colts including my pocket Navy.  I'm not crazy about the idea of messing with the cylinder too much but I have no experience with the ROA.

Offline argo_69

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 07:49:13 PM »
ssb73q, I don`t think that would happen. My Walker has the nipple  completely open just like my ROA is now & the cap pieces don`t fly off it & hit me. I think all colts are the same way.

Online ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 08:33:59 PM »
ssb73q, I don`t think that would happen. My Walker has the nipple  completely open just like my ROA is now & the cap pieces don`t fly off it & hit me. I think all colts are the same way.

Hi Bart, yes indeed, the Colts are open. Maybe that's why they are more prone to cap part jams and locking up a revolver compared the the 1858 Remington?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 08:51:36 PM »
Will wait to hear your report argo. (o&
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline KapundBall

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 09:49:52 PM »

Hi Bart, yes indeed, the Colts are open. Maybe that's why they are more prone to cap part jams and locking up a revolver compared the the 1858 Remington?

Regards,
Richard

I have a Rogers & Spencer with big open easy to cap nipple notches and have been shooting quite brisk duplex loads (3 grs A410 +30grs Old Eynsford ) with neither any cap bits flying off or catching up in the works. The only cap likely to fly anywhere is under the hammer and the open notch helps convey the bits away from the works.
I recently mentioned to a friend that I was getting more interested in Black Powder. He said, "What, like Malcolm X and the Black Panthers?"

Offline argo_69

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 02:19:31 PM »
OK, went to the range today with my ROA. Wow, my ROA is now a very capper friendly revolver. It works just like I thought it would & No, there were no fragmented caps flying back at me & No, there were no jam ups either. This was time well spent at my friends Machine shop this time around.

Online ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 02:24:27 PM »
Hi argo, that's good news. Thanks for the report.

Regards,
Richard