Author Topic: LE MAT REVOLVER  (Read 1718 times)

Offline WASH BUSTER

LE MAT REVOLVER
« on: September 20, 2013, 09:30:13 AM »
Recently acquired a Le Mat revolver,Pietta manufacture.Does anyone have some loading data for the two barrels.What shot do you use,can you fire a ball from the shotgun barrel.I bought this to complement my Walker which is carried in a shoulder holster the Le Mat will be on a belt holster,then a .36 1861 Colt in my pants,.50 caliber percussion rifle and Freedom arms .22 caliber percussion belt buckell pistol to round out my attire.Should be able to handle anthing that could possibly happen

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
Re: LE MAT REVOLVER
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 09:36:14 AM »
Hi WASH BUSTER, I want one but, the ones I come across are way out of my price range.  :'(

Hang in there, someone will help you out.  ;)
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline WASH BUSTER

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 09:39:13 AM »
Found mine in a  gun shop nib for $599.00

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 09:47:35 AM »
Is that a good price for them?
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline KapundBall

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 01:18:10 PM »
$599 is almost half off rack rate. Well done!

I don't recommend shooting ball out of a 20 ga barrel in a pistol. You can shoot buck - bird from it though. For S&G, I would use #7.5 shot following the 50/50 rule, powder to shot by volume. If you are getting poor combustion, I would work first on gas seal, then possibly drop the powder charge.   I would start at 11/16ths oz and work up to 7/8ths, which may be a bit much. Were you to go afield against other armed horsemen, I would load with #4 buck. The key to success with shot from such a short barrel will be gas seal and over powder pressure. You need a heavy fibre over powder wad a good .005 - .010 overbore seated with considerable pressure to get anything like full combustion and any velocity. If you want any kind of pattern past 10 ft, I would also use a stemless plastic shot cup. A good strong cardboard overshot card, well overbore, should hold shot in with no need for sealant, but that will take some experimenting.

I can't give you any advice on cylinder loads as I am unfamiliar with their volume.
I recently mentioned to a friend that I was getting more interested in Black Powder. He said, "What, like Malcolm X and the Black Panthers?"

Offline Saranac Sam

• Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 02:22:13 PM »
$599 is almost half off rack rate. Well done!

I don't recommend shooting ball out of a 20 ga barrel in a pistol. You can shoot buck - bird from it though. For S&G, I would use #7.5 shot following the 50/50 rule, powder to shot by volume. If you are getting poor combustion, I would work first on gas seal, then possibly drop the powder charge.   I would start at 11/16ths oz and work up to 7/8ths, which may be a bit much. Were you to go afield against other armed horsemen, I would load with #4 buck. The key to success with shot from such a short barrel will be gas seal and over powder pressure. You need a heavy fibre over powder wad a good .005 - .010 overbore seated with considerable pressure to get anything like full combustion and any velocity. If you want any kind of pattern past 10 ft, I would also use a stemless plastic shot cup. A good strong cardboard overshot card, well overbore, should hold shot in with no need for sealant, but that will take some experimenting.

I can't give you any advice on cylinder loads as I am unfamiliar with their volume.

I shoot ball out of a 20ga single-shot flint muzzleloader, but that's a different animal, I know.
  I'm curious what Wash Buster expects "that could possibly happen"?
Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Offline KapundBall

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 01:10:22 PM »
This may help: Mike Beliveau shooting the LeMat. He loads 30 gr Goex under wad and ball in the cylinders and  60 gr FFG (2 F not 3 F) with 1 oz of shot in the 20 ga barrel. Doesn't look too bad but I think he has insufficient over powder pressure. Note that he says he thinks the bore is slightly oversized. I would look for a better gas seal and start with loweer powder and shot charges...

I recently mentioned to a friend that I was getting more interested in Black Powder. He said, "What, like Malcolm X and the Black Panthers?"