Photobucket

Author Topic: Another for the collection  (Read 2116 times)

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Another for the collection
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 12:47:00 PM »
Got myself an English 18th century flintlock pistol at an auction. Cal .60.
Real nice, lots of stamps that have to get sorted out. The lock is in prime condition, no play. Only flaw is a beginning crack in the hammer. This has to be addressed, probably by TIG and then re-hardened.

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 01:08:33 PM »
Oh lordy I like it Len. (T^  I just can't start down this road. All I ever wanted was the Remmie 58 with the 5.5" bbl to go with my Remmie  58 8" bbl. Now I have 11 bp pistols, 2 .50 cal single shot pistols. Not counting rifles. If I start down the single shot highway I'm goina need a new home. _l Anybody have an extra room for rent? {_K  )L$
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2013, 02:08:55 PM »
Hi Dell,

yeah I know. But there is an AA Remy post on this forum.

I started out with a original 58 new model army, then got a Smith Cav (to sort of round up the CW-era).

Being a history and mechanical nerd, I still wanted some older stuff. Got me two CB early 19th century pistols and now this flintlock. Not planning to go further back, more likely to go back to 1850-1870. Would like some earlier Remmies, something smaller for my wife's delicate hands.

I like the auctions. You can get hold of abused guns, that with a minor effort can be made as new again. BTW, all my acquisitions are made perfectly shootable.

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2013, 05:39:51 AM »
Shot it yesterday. Works just fine.
Spent last night searching the web for info on the proof marks. Found two out of three. The topmost is the London Guild for BP. The bottom one is their mark for "viewed" (I take it means OK:ed). Can't really make out the middle one. The crown is mirrored and there is probably an E or an F underneath. Any suggestions will be welcome. The lock is engraved "Griffin" and it is in prime condition.