Author Topic: Thoughts on the CVA '58 kit  (Read 1618 times)

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Thoughts on the CVA '58 kit
« on: September 02, 2013, 05:01:01 PM »
I reviewed Redsport91's and a couple of other threads about cutting down the '58 and making a 5-1/2" barrel or snubbie out of the kit I just got. I like the way Corcho98 made a 5-1/2" barrel, I like the idea of being able to load on the gun. But then, I like the snubbie too! Decisions, decisions! I've got time to think about it before starting the actual cutting process. The loading lever catch on the CVA is NOT dovetailed in the barrel so I need to research that. Don't know if it is threaded or pressed in...anyone know? Which ever version I decide on doing, I will round the butt like Redsport's. Instead of all the work of making a dovetailed front sight, I will probably do something like I did on my Colt snubbie; drill and tap for a brass (or steel) rod (or shotgun bead)...quick and easy! Any other suggestions?

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
Re: Thoughts on the CVA '58 kit
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 07:35:38 PM »
Mazo,    You can order a dovetailed loading lever latch from Dixie.  I think it was about $5.00 plus shipping.  Then cut the dove tail in the barrel with a dremel and finish fthe angles with a file.  took about 30 minutes to do mine.  The post style latch on my Pietta was soldered in and broke of when I tried to removed it.   If you use a dovetailed one then you can just drive the latch out if you ever need to remove the cylinder pin for some reason.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 09:17:30 AM »
Thanks Mike, I had thought about ordering one from Dixie. I have dovetailed sights in before so should be able to do the loading lever catch. Gives me another option.

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 04:08:51 PM »
I've been begging my boss to order one of these kits, but the darn things are usually only a few bucks cheaper than finished guns. How hard/fun are they to put together?

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 09:48:00 AM »
I do believe the newly made kits are pretty much a drop-in and finish. I made my '51 Colt snubbie from a Pietta kit; the frame was rough (had mill marks, etc.), but barrel and cylinder were finished and blued. I can't be sure, but I do think the newer kits might be even better. Yeah, for $10-15 more you can get a finished gun. It is a fun project to put a kit together, really acquaints you with the particular gun.

Offline kituwa

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 10:40:32 AM »
If it were me i would dove tail the loading lever catch and the front sight. A dove tail site lets you easily chang it so you can get it to shoot point of aim and of coarse it lets you adjust windage. The newer kits guns are not hard to fit, like said they are mostly drop in parts. The only disadvantage to them is cold blue does not hold up well if that matters to you and to have it hot blued would prolly cost as much as the gun did.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 03:30:21 PM »
Kituwa, I rust blued the frame on my snubbie build. It is a pretty tough finish and easy (though a little time consuming) to do process. It is just the browning process and then put in boiling water.  It's more of a black than blue color.