Photobucket

Author Topic: Did Classanr purchase a true 1885 Remington 10g SxS?  (Read 11599 times)

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
Re: Did Classanr purchase a true 1885 Remington 10g SxS?
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2013, 05:03:56 PM »
OK, photos.
Keep in mind that when I remove the forearm, and break open the gun, the hinge area does not exhibit any inclination to be loose in any sense of the word.  It is as if the forearm remains on the gun.  However, while the forearm is off and the gun is open, if I press the release lever "just a little bit more", immediately there is "slop" in the hinge area.  Open, almost fully open, somewhat open, barely open, none of those positions alters the hinge response.

Photos removed - obsolete.  Problem was resolved.  See posting further down with new photos.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 12:32:52 PM by Classanr »
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2013, 05:45:06 PM »
Here's some pics of one disassembled. It does look as if the disconnect is connected to the release lever so maybe its not going far enough over or the mechanism is stuck.

http://www.gunauction.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=10045400
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2013, 05:57:21 PM »
Here's some pics of one disassembled. It does look as if the disconnect is connected to the release lever so maybe its not going far enough over or the mechanism is stuck.

http://www.gunauction.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=10045400

Thanks.  Now I know what the insides look like.  Gives me a place to ponder.

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2013, 03:42:33 PM »
I still have not separated the gun's hinge, but I have progressed on the reloading side.
Here's a ~560kb PDF showing how I de-cap and re-prime the shells, using a Lee Hand Press and 100% found parts.  I plan to load the hulls using this press as well.  I can reload in a rubber duckie out on a lake with this setup.  Try to do that with the heavy-hammer-required loaders. ->i

http://trac-r.com/c&b/1885/PreppingShellsForReloading.pdf

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2013, 06:41:55 PM »
I hope you're not planning on using a plastic shot cup with bp. {_K
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Wolfgang

• Wolfgang's Wild West
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2013, 07:02:12 AM »
All very interesting . . . .

. . . I bought a Remington SxS in 12 ga.  recently . . . and haven't had it in my hands yet as I've been on the road . . . .  :'(

. . crying is over not having it in my hands . . . that will be remedied in a few days, I had it shipped to a friend who will get it to me this week, . . . . . being on the road for 4 months gives me the finances to "play WILD WEST and mess with guns" for the next 8 months !   _l

Anyhow . . . . my loading set up is like this . . . .

http://www.drburkholter.com/cf14.html

I did acquire a shell holder a while back which simplified things a bit, . . . .  :)
Beware the man with one gun,.... he probably knows  how to use it.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2013, 07:43:37 AM »
Nice. I use a nail, a hammer, a short piece of 2x4 and a wood dowel. I do have an original shot/powder measure,wad punch and a roll crimper.

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2013, 08:27:52 AM »
I hope you're not planning on using a plastic shot cup with bp. {_K
Nope, that would be melt-city.  But BlackMZ seems to be a reasonable option.  That and some smokeless that only runs 7600 psi or less - Blue Dot comes to mind, maybe TrailBoss, and extra-light TiteWad (fast as it is, it does not need to be compressed to go off).  Remember, this is a 10ga that can't shoot slugs (too much taper choke) and I won't load more than 7/8 oz.  I do have a lot of experience downloading the 12ga to powder-puff loads.
I'll let you know when I finally get this thing to the range.

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2014, 12:58:54 PM »
I finally got the barrels removed from the action. {?|

A previous person had bungered-up the shell ejector cam, causing it to hang on the release rod, rather than camming the release rod that "oh-so-tiny" distance so the barrels would snap past the normal opening angle.

All in all, there is good news and bad news.  The good news is that all the serial (22197) numbers match (stock, trigger group, action, barrels, and forend).  More good news is that nothing metal is broken.  Mechanical metal repair only required some judicious diamond-file action to clean up the previous person's mistake.  Oh, and the usual cleaning of recessed parts and orifici.

The bad news is that the stock is cracked at the action.

The action is a "slight" bit loose in the stock, as a result.  My guess is that a previous person tried to "whack" open the take-down by pounding on the stock.  As I reported, that was futile because of the bungered cam on the shell ejector.

Instead of using brute force, I removed the trigger group and used a brass punch to drive the release bar back sufficient to fully break down the shotgun.

Now the question is, what is the best way to repair the stock?  All the wood is there.  I have no clue how the action comes out of the stock.  It looks like the  side plates are pinned into the wood.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2014, 02:06:58 PM »
There should be a screw under the left side hammer that tied the locks together and a screw going through the tang to remove the stock but the stock cant come off until the locks are off. Loosen the screw and tap the head until the right side locks slips out of the mortise and then go through the hole to tap the left side off.

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2014, 04:57:46 PM »
There should be a screw under the left side hammer that tied the locks together and a screw going through the tang to remove the stock but the stock cant come off until the locks are off. Loosen the screw and tap the head until the right side locks slips out of the mortise and then go through the hole to tap the left side off.

Got it, thank you. {?|  Cocked the left hammer, removed the screw underneath.  Already had removed the screw under the barrel release tang (is what holded the trigger group in as well).  Decocked the hammer.  Pushed the right lock off from inside, where the trigger presses the (sear release?).  Pressed that to the left and out popped the right lock.  Pressed similarly on the left (sear release?) and out popped the left lock.

Lots of cleaning to do in those locks.  I might have antique BP in there!

Wood's not so bad as I thought.  The cracks don't look structural.
Any suggestions on the repair of the wood?  Gorilla Glue?  TiteBond III?  Something from 1885?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 05:22:14 PM by Classanr »

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2014, 05:01:23 PM »
[Wood's not so bad as I thought.  Doesn't look structural.
Any suggestions on the repair of the wood?  Gorilla Glue?  TiteBond III?  Something from 1885?
I vote for "something from 1885", see the picture of one of my '87 Winchester stocks. Historically/period correct repair! M__ ->i

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2014, 05:09:34 PM »
Seriously now, are the wood pieces separated from the stock? If not, gently pry them open a little bit, enough to be able to force some waterproof carpenter glue in on both sides. Squeeze the pieces into place and wipe off excess glue. Then wrap the stock with Saran wrap or wax paper, pad it and apply pressure against both sides. I would avoid Gorilla Glue as it swells up. If the pressure is applied with surgical tubing, you probably won't need any padding. Good luck!

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2014, 05:33:46 PM »
Carpenters glue will work but epoxy would be stronger. If you use epoxy make sure none will squeeze out and wrap the crack tightly with surgical tubing. Rubber surgical gloves work well too.

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2014, 06:45:27 PM »
Wood is still attached.  Kinda springy-like, hard to lift.  I peeked underneath.  Rats, the varnish, cleaning gunk, and who knows how many years of dust have collected to form a black coating on both sides of the wood.

I opted for carpenter's glue (Titebond I) so I could (a) soak glue past the grungy stuff I could not get out (b) squish and squeeze to get glue in deep, and (c) undo it by boiling, if I have to reverse the process.

Locks are in very nice shape, also have the same serial number.

If I remove one hammer, insert a 209-inline breech plug in the other chamber, I technically have a BP muzzle-loading shot gun, qualifying as same in MA.

Waiting 24 hours for the glue to set.