Author Topic: Did Classanr purchase a true 1885 Remington 10g SxS?  (Read 13842 times)

Offline Saranac Sam

• Forum Legend
Re: Did Classanr purchase a true 1885 Remington 10g SxS?
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2013, 08:19:57 PM »
what is that logo on the buttplate.  It looks like an ES.  ??

ERS intertwined. E. Remington & Sons.

Ah so.  Thanks! 
Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2013, 10:15:29 PM »
what is that logo on the buttplate.  It looks like an ES.  ??
ERS intertwined. E. Remington & Sons.

Thanks, Hawg.  I had hoped the photo made that clear.  To my eyes, there is no undisputable visual evidence of manufacture stamped into the workings on this one.

That shootgun would fetch close to $3.000 at an auction in Europe

Hey Len, wouldn't it cost me about that much in legal fees and hassle to get the shotgun to that Euro auction?

Classanr
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2013, 08:21:53 AM »
It should have E. Remington & Sons, Ilion NY  on the barrel rib, a series of patent dates on the lower tang and the serial number on the water table.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2013, 08:33:31 AM »

[/quote]
Hey Len, wouldn't it cost me about that much in legal fees and hassle to get the shotgun to that Euro auction?

Classanr
[/quote]
Could be, but I doubt it. Anyhow you got yourself a terrific gun at a very low price.

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2013, 07:25:45 PM »
Well, I might have a problem.

So, let's kick it around.

Nominally, the shotgun is a 10g.

I finally found some 10g shells.  Remington RP, the green plastic ones, high brass.

Purchased the low-base wads, 10g.

First, I dropped a plastic shotcup/wad down each barrel, base-first.  The base didn't touch the walls until almost to the muzzle.

Second, I trimmed a shell to 3", expected it to be a quarter inch too long.  The forcing cone starts at 2.70" from rear of chamber, tapers to barrel dimension at 2.75" - but the shell slid all 3" into the barrel and extracts like butter.  I can tip the barrel up and let the hull slide out.

This means both shells inserted past the forcing cone, which means the barrels (just past the forcing cones) is the dimension of the outside of the 10g shells.

Third, I sent an untrimmed 3.25" shell into the chamber, and it went in almost all the way before it touched the barrel sidewalls.

I think, that I have a 9 gauge?  Chamber measures .853 where the brass base inserts.

Q1.  Is it safe to "fire-form" the RP shells to these chambers?

Q2.  Should I trim the cases back from 3.00" to 2.700"

Classanr

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2013, 07:58:29 AM »

Third, I sent an untrimmed 3.25" shell into the chamber, and it went in almost all the way before it touched the barrel sidewalls.

I think, that I have a 9 gauge?  Chamber measures .853 where the brass base inserts.

There is no nine gauge. The rear of the 10 gauge chamber should measure .859. Fired shell length should be 2 7/8 and be roll crimped when loaded
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2013, 08:58:59 AM »

There is no nine gauge. The rear of the 10 gauge chamber should measure .859. Fired shell length should be 2 7/8 and be roll crimped when loaded

Thank you for the reply.  I might not have been fully clear on my intent and concern.

Yes, no "nine gauge".  I was being silly.  And yes 2 7/8 "should" be the chamber length.  But quoting from a knowledgeable previous post:
I wouldn't shoot smokeless out of it and chamber length is probably short.

I measured the chamber.  Instead of 2.875, the chamber is 2.700 to start of forcing cone, 2.75 at end of forcing cone, thus "probably short".

Shooting BP, (or to be more specific, BlackMZ) I wish the shell to be "brass length" and to load as one would do with brass hulls, specifically to water-glass an over-card to the top of the hull to keep the powder, wad, and shot column in.

Should I trim the total hull down to pre-forcing-cone chamber length if I'm not roll-crimping (as one would with brass)?

Am I safe to ignore the hull-to-chamberwall gap with unfired plastic hulls?

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2013, 09:26:12 AM »

I measured the chamber.  Instead of 2.875, the chamber is 2.700 to start of forcing cone, 2.75 at end of forcing cone, thus "probably short".
?

Am I safe to ignore the hull-to-chamberwall gap with unfired plastic hulls?

The chamber should be 2.65 to start of forcing cone. You can cut the shells to 2.65 and glue the over shot card in. The chamber should taper down to .845 so your plastic hulls should work fine.

Maybe this will help. http://www.dave-cushman.net/shot/shotshellloads.html
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 09:49:59 AM by Hawg »

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2013, 11:41:21 AM »
The chamber should be 2.65 to start of forcing cone. You can cut the shells to 2.65 and glue the over shot card in. The chamber should taper down to .845 so your plastic hulls should work fine.

Maybe this will help. http://www.dave-cushman.net/shot/shotshellloads.html

Thank you.  Excellent help.

Although I can remove the foregrip, and break open the barrels, when I press the release lever further right I can only get the hinge area "loose and jiggly", but cannot remove the barrels from the action.

Is this model not designed to be taken apart for cleaning?  Or is the release lever possibly not fully releasing the barrels?

Online ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2013, 02:47:01 PM »
Hi Classanr, what are you doing with a 10-gauge? Some are concerned about shooting their eye out, but you are working to break you shoulder? Old farts should restrict themselves to 12-gauge or larger. I'll pray for you tomorrow.  )L$ (?^ ->i

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2013, 03:06:25 PM »
Hi Classanr, what are you doing with a 10-gauge? Some are concerned about shooting their eye out, but you are working to break you shoulder? Old farts should restrict themselves to 12-gauge or larger. I'll pray for you tomorrow.  )L$ (?^ ->i

Regards,
Richard

Well, I'd count 10gauge as "larger".  Decided against 8ga.  Wasn't one in the lineup for me to purchase.

Shooting BP (well, Black MZ) in light loads.  Tell me, how much overkill will 209's be on 82grains vol of BlackMZ under 3/4oz or 7/8oz shot or slug?

Finally popped a cap (well, a primer) in each barrel.  Hammers work, but the trigger pull is a bit stiff on the right.

Still can't figure out what I'm doing wrong to separate barrels from the action.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2013, 03:23:45 PM »
You shouldn't have to push the release lever further over to disconnect them. With the forearm off and the action open they should pop right off.

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2013, 03:51:52 PM »
You shouldn't have to push the release lever further over to disconnect them. With the forearm off and the action open they should pop right off.

Yep, "should" and "would" seem to be the operative ends of the spectrum here.
For instance, my H&R practically falls apart on its own with the forearm off.
This Remington remains totally workable and tight, forearm or no.  However, if I press the lever "a little bit further" the hinge area suddenly gets loose, but not enough to separate.

Possibly a "broken something" dangling around in there?

I cannot locate any Remington documentation on the 1885's - plenty of great stuff on Winchesters...

Offline Saranac Sam

• Forum Legend
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2013, 05:07:20 PM »

Can you show us a picture?  I have an old Savage single where the forearm just breaks right off and the barrel unhooks.  Another old H&R has a flip up screw head about the size of a nickel for disconnecting the barrel. ?  If that's what you're talking about.
Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2013, 09:58:24 PM »
  Can you show us a picture?  I have an old Savage single where the forearm just breaks right off and the barrel unhooks.  Another old H&R has a flip up screw head about the size of a nickel for disconnecting the barrel. ?  If that's what you're talking about.

Hmmm, 4th,5th,6th photos in original post don't quite show the joint.
Let me do it tomorrow when there's really good light and I can get a close up of several angles with the forearm removed.