Author Topic: It shoots high & left, what now?  (Read 1953 times)

Offline BartSr

• Muzzle Loaders are Fun
    • Love of Muzzle Loaders
It shoots high & left, what now?
« on: August 22, 2013, 10:18:25 PM »
I recently acquired an EAP .44 cal Remmy, date code of [AA].
Since then I've been to the Rio Salada range in AZ along with some of my underhammers.

https://sites.google.com/site/onlyonsaturdaynight/home/revolvers

This .44 (at 11 meters or 12 yards) shoots 3 inches high and about 1/2 inch to the left.
It has the post front sight and by visual it is not centered on the barrel (left/right).
I'd like to know how to remove it and maybe dovetail a taller one in it's place.

Thanks, this site is the best!  _l

Paul
Paul
Making Underhammers and Muleys too.
NMLRA & NRA EPL, Muzzleloader Mag.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: It shoots high & left, what now?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 11:03:32 PM »
If the gun shoots that far off, then yeah you gotta dovetail in a front sight so you can drift-adjust it for windage and also adjust for height. It's not that hard to do, and probably a Google search will get you started in the right direction.

Offline Wolfgang

• Wolfgang's Wild West
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 01:30:38 PM »
Three inches high at that range is Ok.   You could get a dovetail front sight  (  VTI has 'em ) and cut a dovetail.  Or you could widen the rear sight notch a bit to the right.   FIRST . . . shoot it again very carefully from a padded rest to be sure that you are not pulling it to the left with your trigger pull.   I was pulling to the right when I first started shooting a Remington.   Realize that I was supporting the pistol with my trigger finger . . . NO GOOD.   Let us know how it goes.   :)

Good shooting . . . .   &j(
Beware the man with one gun,.... he probably knows  how to use it.

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 01:54:06 PM »
Hi, windage adjustment on old fixed sight guns is made by rotating the barrel.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 03:15:47 PM »
Hi BartSr,
I had the same problem. There are some ideas under "Gunsmithing" that might be of help.
For a start I'd check that the barrel is screwed in to zero degrees. Then the front sights usually are to low for 25 meters and less, probably set for 50 or 75 yards.

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 04:38:41 PM »
Hay there Paul. Did you shop around before buying this gun or was it a deal that was to good to pass up?
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline BartSr

• Muzzle Loaders are Fun
    • Love of Muzzle Loaders
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 07:02:32 PM »
It was good, too good to pass up. It shoots great.  (T^
Paul
Making Underhammers and Muleys too.
NMLRA & NRA EPL, Muzzleloader Mag.

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 05:01:29 PM »
Three inches high at that range is Ok.   You could get a dovetail front sight  (  VTI has 'em ) and cut a dovetail.  Or you could widen the rear sight notch a bit to the right.   FIRST . . . shoot it again very carefully from a padded rest to be sure that you are not pulling it to the left with your trigger pull.   I was pulling to the right when I first started shooting a Remington.   Realize that I was supporting the pistol with my trigger finger . . . NO GOOD.   Let us know how it goes.   :)

Good shooting . . . .   &j(

Yup, I have a bad habit of knuckling the trigger that causes my aim to go about three inches right at that range.