1858 remington forum

Author Topic: What's going on today?  (Read 67331 times)

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: What's going on today?
« Reply #10320 on: April 15, 2019, 05:47:46 PM »
I heard they just had a stiff breeze in Mississippi. Hope Hawg's roof didn't end up somewhere in Kansas.

Not yet but it wouldn't take much to put this old house on the ground. Tornado touched down about 40 miles north of here and killed a few people and demolished a brick house.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10321 on: April 15, 2019, 09:22:16 PM »
I lived in a few places in KS., KS. is not for me.

Small towns are hard to beat right Sam? We moved to a small town and as soon as they started cutting the trees down I told my wife that was it, we're going to be moving from here, sure enough a guy I worked with his dad had some land out in the country for sale and one trip out there is all it took. I wanted it and we bought it. we use to camp out here till we could get enough cash to put a home out here. I can't stand to be in the city anymore. After living out here for the last 20 years city life is just crazy now.
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10322 on: April 19, 2019, 09:02:00 AM »
Spring finally sprung. Beautiful day. Took out the garden furniture and the charcoal grill. Also took out the mud bike (Italian LEM) from hibernation. One really good piece of machine. Three kicks for priming, then started on the fourth. Grand kids coming tomorrow, so better have some things prepared to keep them occupied.

Offline Pustic

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Proud American Hillbilly Infidel & Facebook Felon
« Reply #10323 on: April 19, 2019, 12:03:49 PM »
Not much going on here, it's a dull, dreary day. Cold, rainy and windy.  But, it's a great day to play ham radio and see if I can make some foreign contacts. It's also a good day to clean some of my guns and do some pyrography.

73's
{?( Be ye not afraid of the truth, for the "Truth Has No Agenda".  :9)
"If they come to take, they also come to die." Pustic 4:20

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10324 on: April 19, 2019, 12:22:55 PM »
Survived another round of tornados last night. Some trees on main street lost some big limbs.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline SourMashII

• Forum Legend
  • Smokin'......
« Reply #10325 on: April 20, 2019, 12:27:05 AM »
Kinda want an 1875. Favor the Remington design, want a cartridge gun.
Debating a cylinder in my Pietta.

Local BP afficianado, Hunters Ed instructor, and all around gun nut, Smiths to supplement his retirement, has a brace of '58's with the Kirst (5 shot) conversion. runs 6.1 grains of blah blah blah smokeless, 230 grain bullet.

I read and read and read, they say guns like the '75 should be kept at 14k cpu.
Cool. His load, best i can tell is south of that....

This has a rather generic ACP load at 21k cpu.

http://freerepublic.com/focus/chat/2943420/posts?q=1&;page=41

Yet, we can buy a Kirst (5 shot?) conversion cylinder for our Pietta's in .45ACP.

If it takes the '75 to safely fire 14k... and the '58 is suggested for "mild cowboy loads", south of 14k CPU.... and the .45 ACP is 21k cpu....

https://www.buffaloarms.com/kirst-konverter-for-pietta-1858-remington-with-loading-gate-45-acp-kk1858pgacp

How is that ^ safe?

Soaking this up like a Parched sponge.

Offline SourMashII

• Forum Legend
  • Smokin'......
« Reply #10326 on: April 21, 2019, 05:53:28 PM »
took both Cherokees, and some rounds and weapons out today.
Couldn't get the scope to drop on the 10/22
Loading lever retainer came off the '58 12 rounds in.
Broke the CZ52. no clue what or how it broke, it's hot. Slide won't work back or forward.... Trigger won't activate the hammer. Only way to drop it is with the hammer drop function... super frustrating.

oh.. and then I snapped off a piece of trim on the way home, on the jeep. Picked the wrong line, 111% avoidable.
What should have been a good day out, ended up being extremely frustrating.
I'd pour a drink and forget about it, but I'm sober now...
Coffee doesn't quite have the same mind numbing effect bourbon did. (o&

Offline scrubby

• Pvt. Raymond Gouse - CO B 22nd Penna.Vol.Cav.
« Reply #10327 on: April 22, 2019, 07:19:10 AM »
Two cups in, kinda feel human. Some new feller on a different forum is fussin' over lube and wads and cookies on another page... Grateful I had some competent role-models around when I was younger. Worryin' over "what ifs" just wasn't done. You prepare diligently, proceed with care, and accept the outcome. For any task life presents you. From loading a pistol, dropping a tree,  raising children, and handlin' hostile female-types. Gonna go pour a third cup and ponder my course of action on that last one now.

Offline SourMashII

• Forum Legend
  • Smokin'......
« Reply #10328 on: April 22, 2019, 10:49:25 AM »
Sun came up. I've my health. Yesterday was yesterday. Moving forward.

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• Forum Legend
« Reply #10329 on: April 22, 2019, 12:46:27 PM »
I'm ordering parts for a John Deere garden tractor that I'm rebuilding. It's got a Briggs & Stratton V-twin engine and you'd thing they were factory Harley parts from the prices! $28 for one valve. $32 for one set of rings. I guess this is what happens when there's no aftermarket competition on parts.
Brad Potter, hardware junky.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10330 on: April 22, 2019, 01:31:44 PM »
Brad; Yep; the V twin B&S Vanguards are pretty dear, unlike their smaller one-lungers which are made by the millions.  On that note, my Husky lawn mower, with a 1 cyl B&S engine?  This is its fourth season, it's been outside covered in snow all winter, and it started with the first pull last week.  Last spring it took two pulls, and every first start of the seaqson before that it's been one pull.  I'm sold!  My Husky roto-tiller has a larger 1 cyl B&S, same age, and I've had to clean the carb jet and replace a needle valve ('cause I launched it into the next county with compressed air) and bowl gasket.  Cheap parts too.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Miguel Loco

« Reply #10331 on: April 22, 2019, 02:45:11 PM »
Two cups in, kinda feel human. Some new feller on a different forum is fussin' over lube and wads and cookies on another page... Grateful I had some competent role-models around when I was younger. Worryin' over "what ifs" just wasn't done. You prepare diligently, proceed with care, and accept the outcome. For any task life presents you. From loading a pistol, dropping a tree,  raising children, and handlin' hostile female-types. Gonna go pour a third cup and ponder my course of action on that last one now.

I'm grateful too!
-Mick
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando"

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10332 on: April 22, 2019, 03:55:08 PM »
I'm ordering parts for a John Deere garden tractor that I'm rebuilding. It's got a Briggs & Stratton V-twin engine and you'd thing they were factory Harley parts from the prices! $28 for one valve. $32 for one set of rings. I guess this is what happens when there's no aftermarket competition on parts.

Have you checked prices on Amazon? I got ahold of an old Gravely zero turn with a 19 HP V twin Kohler. It would turn over but wouldn't start. Turns out all the switch will do is turn the motor. I cut the kill wires and it started right up. I've got to clean the carb, it runs but surges. I've got to rewire the blade clutch and get a blade belt. Maybe next month.

Offline SourMashII

• Forum Legend
  • Smokin'......
« Reply #10333 on: April 22, 2019, 11:00:33 PM »
Turns out the CZ ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CZ_52 ) was just a round ever so slightly out of spec, that jammed 'er up good.

They turned my leads on at work, I've been the target of an unjust lead management scrutiny for awhile now. Boss finally took me serious when I threatened to walk. Super hard to be in sales, when your input of fresh customers to talk to is cut off for two weeks. Been racking sales, regardless.. Hah! {L* :-* :-*

All in all was a good day.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 11:17:58 PM by SourMashII »

Offline drobs

« Reply #10334 on: April 23, 2019, 05:02:44 AM »
Kinda want an 1875. Favor the Remington design, want a cartridge gun.
Debating a cylinder in my Pietta.

Local BP afficianado, Hunters Ed instructor, and all around gun nut, Smiths to supplement his retirement, has a brace of '58's with the Kirst (5 shot) conversion. runs 6.1 grains of blah blah blah smokeless, 230 grain bullet.

I read and read and read, they say guns like the '75 should be kept at 14k cpu.
Cool. His load, best i can tell is south of that....

This has a rather generic ACP load at 21k cpu.

http://freerepublic.com/focus/chat/2943420/posts?q=1&;page=41

Yet, we can buy a Kirst (5 shot?) conversion cylinder for our Pietta's in .45ACP.

If it takes the '75 to safely fire 14k... and the '58 is suggested for "mild cowboy loads", south of 14k CPU.... and the .45 ACP is 21k cpu....

https://www.buffaloarms.com/kirst-konverter-for-pietta-1858-remington-with-loading-gate-45-acp-kk1858pgacp

How is that ^ safe?

Reminds me I need to try my Kirst conversion cylinder in my Pietta 1858 with it's new mainspring. I did this spring swap but haven't tried it with my conversion cylinder.

http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php?topic=5248.0

Pre-spring swap the action was so gritty to the point of not being enjoyable to shoot.
NRA Life Member