Author Topic: 1864 CH Rigdon CSA Augusta Revolvers.  (Read 6117 times)

Offline Fingers McGee

• Central Ozarks Western Shooters
1864 CH Rigdon CSA Augusta Revolvers.
« on: August 04, 2011, 07:05:41 PM »
Pair of 1864 CH Rigdon CSA Augusta Revolvers.  These were the successor to Leech and Rigdon and Rigdon and Ansley revolvers

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS 28564-LTG-Regulator, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Founding member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters.  Member:  The Ozarks Posse, Southern Missouri Rangers, Moniteau Creek River Raiders, Butterfield Trail Cowboys.

Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Rock Island

• Forum Legend
Re: 1864 CH Rigdon CSA Augusta Revolvers.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 07:38:40 PM »
They look to be in super condition, real nice find  8) 8) 8) 8)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.  Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 10:37:11 PM »
I'm assuming those are safety notches in between the cylinder notches? Unusual...and totally cool!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Fingers McGee

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 10:49:13 PM »
They look to be in super condition, real nice find  8) 8) 8) 8)

They shoot pretty good too............................BTW, I had them made from a pair of L&Rs

I'm assuming those are safety notches in between the cylinder notches? Unusual...and totally cool!

Yes, they are safety notches.  There are no pins on the back of the cylinder.  The 12 bolt stop cylinders were an innovation used by Manhattan revolvers that Charles Rigdon copied on the Rigdon and Ansley revolvers and the later CH Rigdons.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 10:52:48 PM by Fingers McGee »
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS 28564-LTG-Regulator, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Founding member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters.  Member:  The Ozarks Posse, Southern Missouri Rangers, Moniteau Creek River Raiders, Butterfield Trail Cowboys.

Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

chuckr1952

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 04:26:05 AM »
                  where did you find those at?

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 04:44:09 AM »
sweet! yer starting to arouse the green eyed monster with all yer neat pistolas!
if yall get this way,drop on by!

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 06:33:02 AM »
I like those pistols. Very nice ones.  ;)
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Fingers McGee

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 12:16:47 PM »

Picked up a pair of Uberti L&Rs off of GB.  Had a gunsmith friend cut the additional bolt stops, then had them defarbed and re-marked and re-serial numbered like an original.  Had consecutive serial numbers put on them in a range about 400 higher than an original.

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 12:02:56 PM »
The additional stops look to be a lot safer than the pins on the Colt repro's, or even the notches on the Remmies. Never had a cylinder not lock up (unless the bolt spring was broken...)
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Fingers McGee

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 04:59:45 PM »
sweet! yer starting to arouse the green eyed monster with all yer neat pistolas!

You haven't seen anything yet.   {L*

Offline Geraldo

• Lead singer and driver of the Winnebago
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 05:05:19 PM »

Picked up a pair of Uberti L&Rs off of GB.  Had a gunsmith friend cut the additional bolt stops, then had them defarbed and re-marked and re-serial numbered like an original.  Had consecutive serial numbers put on them in a range about 400 higher than an original.

Thta's a pretty darned ingenious way to get a pair of impossible to find guns.  Good idea on the SNs too so there's no issue about counterfeiting.

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2011, 08:14:28 PM »

You haven't seen anything yet.   {L*
well ya gonna pull them pistols or whistle dixie? (?^ {'O
if yall get this way,drop on by!

Offline Fingers McGee

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2011, 10:46:56 PM »
Thta's a pretty darned ingenious way to get a pair of impossible to find guns.  Good idea on the SNs too so there's no issue about counterfeiting.

One of them was made in 2007 and already had the A. Uberti barrel address under the loading lever.  Left it there and added the date code showing when it was originally made.  The other was a 1973 vintage gun so I had the A.Uberti and date code stamped under the loading lever on it.  At first glance, a number of people have thought they were well cared for originals.  The A.Uberti markings under the barrel will help insure they can be identified for what they really are - well made replicas.

Offline Lizardo

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 02:34:57 PM »
Positively drooling here! Beautiful job on re-creation!
Weebles wobble but they won't fall down...

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 01:36:06 PM »
Nice Fingers. like the rd barrel models. Are they a little muzzle heavy? Uberti makes good revolvers.  :)
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.