Photobucket

Author Topic: 'Nother New Project(s) Starr's  (Read 3871 times)

Offline sltm1

'Nother New Project(s) Starr's
« on: January 12, 2013, 05:33:04 PM »
Got these to work on from the gent who recently bought the Merwin Hulbert Frontier I re-did and sold on GB. They're both single action and I picked up an exploded diagram of  a Pietta, any body have any tips or warnings about taking these apart....they don't look hard to figure out, but it never hurts to ask. The dirty one is a conversion....tooo coool!!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 11:20:17 AM by sltm1 »
Life's tough...it's tougher when yer stupid !!

Offline Kaeto

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Official Mad Dog Nose Tweaker.
Re: 'Nother New Project(s) Starr's
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 07:53:18 PM »
Are they going to be shootable?
“The path of the warrior is difficult! We live to protect those who cannot protect themselves! Honour in serving! Honour in defending! Honour in dying for a just cause!”

"A knight is sworn to valor; His heart knows only virtue; His blade defends the helpless; His might upholds the weak; His word speaks only truth,
and his wrath undoes the wicked."

Offline sltm1

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 08:29:14 PM »
Kaeto, I think so. The bores aren't pristine but "good" with plenty of rifling, the mainsprings have enough power, the hammers are in good shape and the spring loaded firing pin on the conversion looks and works fine. Neither me nor the owner no the caliber on the conversion, I think it's someones brand of 44, maybe 44-40wcf, or Russian or Colt etc etc.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 01:58:32 PM »
Soooo....what's first? and what do you expect to do? I'm sure you will keep us in the loop, right?? With pictures, of course!

Offline Magnus

• Viking
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 02:47:58 PM »
The Starr SA is a favourite gun that unfortunately still is on my wish list.

Please keep us up to date and keep the pictures coming!  ])M

The internals look very similar to the 1858 so taking it apart shouldn't present any problems as long as the screws come loose without to much hazzle.
Antique C&B guns enthusiast

Offline sltm1

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 09:54:32 PM »
Thanks magnus, I downloaded that schematic off the VTI site, I'll be starting the take down on Tuesday.

Offline sltm1

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 11:20:19 AM »
Day one....let the games begin !! I disassembled both pistols, the blued one 1st to see what innerds I was going to have to replace in the conversion to get it up and running. Minor problem with the blued piece, the hammer screw was snapped in 2 and was held inplace by polishing compound!! I removed the head, the threaded part I had to channel a screwdriver slot into the exposed part and remove it from the wrong side. Everything else was easy and in great looking shape. On the the conversion. Broke the frame open and removed the cylinder, immediately "noticed", this one had a cylinder pin which the 1st one didn't. Removed the cylinder back plate and arbor (one piece), and found the hand was missing. Removed the triggerguard and ditto the bolt and spring. Now for the fun part, the original hand and bolt have no resemblence to what is needed in the conversion gun!! Looks like I'm going to have to do some "reverse engineering. See the difference in the ratchets on each cylinder in the pic. As a final insult, the loading lever catch is glued in place!!

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 03:30:51 PM »
You probably did a good thing by taking both guns apart so you can see if there are any similarities between the two as far as making parts. 

Offline sltm1

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 11:10:38 AM »
New hand for the Starr Conversion, on the right in the pic's. Took 3 hrs to figure this SOB out ! Had to keep adjusting the length and angle. Also, if to notice, the hand is slightly bent to the left. Whoever made the conversion backing plate had the slot overlap on the receiver. He probably whittled the hand thinner so it would pass through, but I wanted to use the whole thickness. Also, the post isn't finished because the bolt slides off it as the tuning cam instead of it being mounted on the hammer like Remies and Colts and I haven't made the replacement bolt yet.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 11:20:47 AM by sltm1 »

Offline sltm1

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 10:34:16 AM »
Here's the new bolt, made from a hoof rasp. Fun, I had to do all the grinding "bare handed", so that I could tell when it was heating up.

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 11:41:09 AM »
Nice job on the Starr bolts!!!
But what are your plans for the nipples? They look maltreated.

Offline sltm1

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 05:22:10 PM »
The nipples are froze tight but only one has the cone snapped off, the others aren't as bad as the pic shows. As this isn't to be a shooter, I'm going to make the hole in the nipple base larger then tap it. On my lathe I'll turn a faux nipple top with a post to thread it into the original nipple base, then drill a partial hole in the top to make it look right......customers already approved the idea.

Offline sltm1

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 06:24:39 PM »
The conversion is all done and antiqued (plumb brown). What I learned on this project is, make sure the cam, if you are replacing one,  is made out of as hard a steel as the bolt is !! Saves having to do it twice !! Parts replaced from scratch, hand (and cam), bolt, 2 springs and several screws had to be replaced, this was strange, in taking the screws out, 2 snapped at the beginning of the thread after the bare bolt part.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 10:02:18 PM »
Is this one just a wall hanger?
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 10:42:39 PM »
may I make a suggestion?
If it isn't too late.
Drill the nipple cone as large as you dare.
Get a 4 sided taper ez out.
Lightly drive it in to get a good grip  and soak the nipple with some breaker loose for a couple day.
Wipe off the excess.
Get one of the butane (cigarette lighter gas) micro torches.
Carefully apply pinpoint heat to the hole the nipple screws into.
You can even do this down the chamber if careful
This should allow the nipple to come loose.
Now with the cylinder in the vice, use a wrench to turn the ez out and tap with hammer at same time.

The breaker loose will help dissolve the powder residue and rust. The heat will enlarge the hole in the cylinder.
Combination it should come out.
And it won't hurt the hole.  You will still be able to screw a nipple in and use the cylinder if it was usable before.
Then if all else fails, drill it and tap it as you planned.
Good luck
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776