Photobucket

Author Topic: New Mainspring for a Whitney Pocket .31 ???  (Read 9505 times)

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: New Mainspring for a Whitney Pocket .31 ???
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 09:33:21 AM »
Youl need to raise the temperature to 830-840 centigrades. Quench it oil. Then temper it at around 600 for 30 mins.

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 01:18:10 PM »
By the way, don't tamper with molten lead. Not good for your health. A lead bath can be (was) used for tempering after hardening, but it means you'll have to keep the melt (at 327 centigrades for more than 24 hrs). Very dangerous vapours. Much better is using a firewood furnace or your outdoor charcoal grill. You can judge the temps by the colour of the steel. In the latter case, you could even enjoy a grilled hot dog or hamburger as you wait for the spring to get just the right tension.

Offline Magnus

• Viking
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 04:42:14 PM »
Other things came in between and this project was put on ice for some time.....  :-[

But now it's done! The Colt mainspring was easily modified to fit the Whitney Pocket revolver. I had to shorten it and also make it a fraction less wide at the top to fit properly. I must say that the Whitney revolver is a pleasure to work with. The precision and attention to details to the production was outstanding. All tolerances, screws and bolts are like on a Swiss watch.

As you can see on previous pictures the Colt mainspring is quite a bit weaker than the original but it turned out just perfectly. The tension is spot on and just about powerful enough to strike the caps reliably. The softer mainspring also made the action a lot smoother and the trigger pull also feels better.

And since there are way to few pictures of Whitneys on the forum I'll add one I took when it was just reassembled.

Antique C&B guns enthusiast

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 04:48:21 PM »
Very nice, Magnus. Tell us more. Is that barrel shortened?

Offline Magnus

• Viking
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 05:14:10 PM »
Very nice, Magnus. Tell us more. Is that barrel shortened?

Thanks Len!

No, it's an original 3" barrel. About 32,500 Whitney Pocket revolver were made in the 1850's and 60's with barrel lenght ranging from 3" to 6". Mine is a Second Model, 3rd type Nickle plated .31 cal Whitney Pocket with a 3" barrel.

The Whitney pocket is a very nice piece and it feels a bit more "grown up" in size compared to many other pocket caliber revolvers of the time.

Antique C&B guns enthusiast