Author Topic: Dixie Gun Works Double Diamond Whitney repro  (Read 6012 times)

Offline Fingers McGee

• Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Dixie Gun Works Double Diamond Whitney repro
« on: October 25, 2012, 06:40:10 PM »
Just picked this up this afternoon.  Came with display case, flask, mold, and some conicals & roundballs cast from the mold.  The only markings are 'Dixie Gun Works, MS.' on the top of the barrel; '.36 Cal.'  and 'Blackpowder Only' on the right barrel flat; and 'Made in Italy' on the left barrel flat.  There are no markings on the frame at all.  There are two proof marks, a double diamond, and a six digit serial number starting on 01 on the cylinder.  That is it.  It's been used; but not abused; and has no rust on it at all.  Person I bought it from said it had been in his gun safe for 10-20 years.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS 28564-LTG-Regulator, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Founding member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters.  Member:  The Ozarks Posse, Southern Missouri Rangers, Moniteau Creek River Raiders, Butterfield Trail Cowboys.

Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Dixie Gun Works Double Diamond Whitney repro
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 06:55:23 PM »
Looking good Fingers. I like it. (T^ You going to shot it, or keep it to look at?  )L$
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline Fingers McGee

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 06:59:14 PM »
Looking good Fingers. I like it. (T^ You going to shot it, or keep it to look at?  )L$

It's been shot & will be some more.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS 28564-LTG-Regulator, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Founding member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters.  Member:  The Ozarks Posse, Southern Missouri Rangers, Moniteau Creek River Raiders, Butterfield Trail Cowboys.

Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Battis

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 05:26:47 AM »
Looks good.  Is it blued, antiqued or "white"?  I can't tell from the pic.
How is the fit, finish, function, etc?  I know that Palmetto made the Whitney copies, but I don't think their logo was a double diamond.   They also made a Root copy that I'd like to find.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 09:38:16 PM »
Fingers, I like it!  ;)
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Fingers McGee

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 10:39:24 PM »
Looks good.  Is it blued, antiqued or "white"?  I can't tell from the pic.
How is the fit, finish, function, etc?  I know that Palmetto made the Whitney copies, but I don't think their logo was a double diamond.   They also made a Root copy that I'd like to find.

Finish was blue that has turned to brown.  I emailed Dr. Davis about it.  He had never seen a double diamond Whitney before now; and, since Palmetto is known to have made Whitney replicas, he suggested that double diamond might have turned into Palmetto.  Dixie imported a lot of Palmetto stuff early on.  I've emailed Dixie to see what they can tell me.  With no date code to verify it, this could have been made in the early 60s, which would make it near 50 years old.

Form, fit and function is spot on.  I pulled the cylinder and ran a patch down the bore and in the chambers.  Little bit of dirt and the slightest hint of some surface rust in the barrel.  Nipples came out of the cylinder like they had just been oiled and installed.  Grips are a real nicely figured wood with a tiny chip out of the right panel's toe.  You can see it in the picture.  Only problem is that it has a heavy hammer spring, and the trigger guard is barely big enough for my finger.

The nipples in it are the short Pietta size; so, I'll be ordering Tresos for it.

Offline Battis

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 09:03:28 AM »
Does the cylinder look like either of these?  Spiller & Burr repro and Whitney.
I've always wondered if a Palmetto cylinder would fit an original, or if they're more like the S&B repros.

Offline Fingers McGee

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 06:30:11 PM »
Does the cylinder look like either of these?  Spiller & Burr repro and Whitney.
I've always wondered if a Palmetto cylinder would fit an original, or if they're more like the S&B repros.

Looks like the S&B cylinder

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 11:09:09 AM »

It's been shot & will be some more.

Hello Fingers,
could you share your experience handling and shooting the .36 Whitney? I've been looking at an original that's for sale.
// Len

Offline Magnus

• Viking
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 11:51:03 AM »
Very nice gun!  (T^

I really love the size of the .36 Whitney frame and the caliber is just right for serious target shooting!
Antique C&B guns enthusiast

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 12:27:52 PM »
Very nice gun!  (T^

I really love the size of the .36 Whitney frame and the caliber is just right for serious target shooting!

Hi Magnus,
seems you're sitting on a .36 Whitney. So, you're also invited to share your experiance of that piece.

Offline Magnus

• Viking
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 01:20:30 PM »
Very nice gun!  (T^

Hi Magnus,
seems you're sitting on a .36 Whitney. So, you're also invited to share your experiance of that piece.

Sorry Len,

I have shot the .36 Whitney at the range but I don't own one myself. But I do own an original "little brother" of the Navy, the Whitney .31 Pocket.

Both .36 & .31 has a very nice balance to them and the build quality is outstanding! The only downside I can think of is the fact that it's a bit difficult to find replacement or spare parts for the Whitney. I haven't been forced to swap out the nipples of my .31 as they are in a good condition but I have been told that it's difficult to find nipples for the Whitney due to unusual/uncommon threads(?). Someone else could perhaps verify this rumor.

But a nice Whitney .36 is definitely on my whish list and I keep an lookout for them at auctions and traders. I saw one at auction last year that was in pristine condition and the action was like a Swiss watch. Unfortunately it went for more money than I had available then....  :'(
Antique C&B guns enthusiast

Offline Fingers McGee

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 11:37:01 PM »
Hello Fingers,
could you share your experience handling and shooting the .36 Whitney? I've been looking at an original that's for sale.
// Len

Wish I could.  I haven't shot it yet.

Offline Battis

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 09:05:06 AM »
I shoot my Whitney .36 once a year or so. I keep the loads around 15 - 18 grs of FFFG and it handles it fine.  It has a "peppy" feel to it.  The .380 roundballs seem a little undersized in all of my .36s but they don't fall out.  I haven't had to replace any internals yet but I'm pretty sure the repro parts will fit (mainspring, bolt, etc).

It likes to nap in the Signature Series box.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 09:08:11 AM »
Battis, very nice.  ;)
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!