Author Topic: Got me a Spiller & Burr at last  (Read 4997 times)

Offline Pat/Rick

Re: Got me a Spiller & Burr at last
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2014, 02:10:24 AM »
Other than pictures, I am not familiar with these at all. Even a little bit.

Is the blued doo dad on the frame between the cylinder and loading lever, Have a specific purpose? And is that the lever,thumbscrew thing that captainkirk is talking about?  I need to do some research on this!

Nice looking pistol BTW!
Nothing expresses Liberty more, than the report of a rifle shot fired in the defense of Freedom.

Offline Camo

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2014, 07:52:55 AM »
Yes that is a thumb screw to enable you to turn and pull the pin and remove the cylinder. These are repro's of revolvers that were confederate manufactured ultimately in Macon Georgia. A Col Burton was the genius behind developing the machinery  and finding the material and gun design although very much a copy of a Whitney. These are really a copy of the second design since the first did not hold up well under fire. there was less then 1500 made during the war. Lack of materials and labor really hurt their production very interesting history on the genius of development and their ability to manufacture a  worthy revolver against such odds. (even going to England to personally buy steel with directions on how to get it through the blockade)
"Let us cross over the river and rest in the shade of the trees"

What did you think, before the evening news told you what to think.

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2014, 10:09:40 AM »
Thinks for the pics Camo. That clears it up pretty good for me. I like what I see. I never have had a chance to get one in my hands. Never know though maybe one of these days. Wife may go out of town for a week.  )L$
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline Camo

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2014, 03:41:13 PM »
so here is a range report;
First off today was just hitting 50 degrees
next my flask decided that it would not stop pouring out powder even with the spring door closed(will discuss on another board?) had to use my rifle powder measure which kind of caused a problem because of its size and there is not a lot of room if your loading on the gun so I had to measure then use my flask funnel into the cylinder (u^. (which ended up causing a squib. no powder ball stuck in barrel impressed how far the cap pushed that ball in)
but got to shoot about 60 rounds before she started to get tight.
I used .375 Hornady spruce-less Rd balls and pryodex P 18grns. and a cabelas lubed wad over the powder, and Remington #10 caps.
first shots were over the top of the paper plate at ten yards so stepped back to 12 yards and aimed at the bottom of the black on the target and started hitting the plate so I'm guessing I could of shot this revolver at about 20yards or more at POA.
Fits good in my hand which is large and performed nicely.
At home taking it completely apart the brass insides are very ruff and the ridges held a lot of residue (now I know why it got tight)so I'm sanding the insides smooth with paper then 0000 steel wool. the machined parts are not to ruff but I will go over them before reassemble. Got to get a smaller nipple wrench the Remmy ones are just a little to big. Over all nice fit and finish proud to shoot a reproduction of a true Confederate revolver since my brass Remington was a advertisers myth.LOL cause I got fooled before I got schooled.
"Let us cross over the river and rest in the shade of the trees"

What did you think, before the evening news told you what to think.

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2014, 11:45:06 PM »
Great range report! I'm a little surprised you didn't find the grip smallish, but maybe you use the ol' 'pink curl' under the grip as I do? Grip would be plenty big for two fingers.
Yeah, that thing on the side is what I was talking about; the screw for removing the loading lever/ cylinder pin. Much like the one used on the Rogers & Spencer...with a thumbscrew. The one on the R&S is pretty awkward compared to a Remmy or even a Colt with a proper fitting wedge (that you can pop out with thumb pressure)
As was mentioned; the S&B was a pretty fair Confederate copy of the all-steel Whitney revolver and had historical significance in the American Civil War.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"