Photobucket

Hosted by: 1858Remington.com

Author Topic: Cobray derringer kit  (Read 9458 times)

Busyhands94

• Forum Legend
  • I am a grown ass man!
    • Email
Re: Cobray derringer kit
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2012, 09:40:12 AM »

I couldn't resist!!! (?^ ->i Hehehe! I'm such a bastard but Sargent R. Lee Eremy is hilarious!!! )L$
Quit your bitchin' liberals and just let things be
you're messing up bigtime taking from me
quite your bitchin' liberal or you'll get your due
When the NRA will come a' callin on you!
 {?(

Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2012, 10:32:50 AM »
Woooo, back the truck up! I'm a Capt.! Or I was before the Armed Sec. went out of Bus.

Busy, scream all you want...you just might help me lose some weight!  ;)
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Busyhands94

• Forum Legend
  • I am a grown ass man!
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2012, 10:56:53 AM »
That is awesome! I think I should call you Captain Sam from now on, I like that! Either way thank you for your service! ])M

I recommend cayenne pepper to help you in your effort to loose some weight. It boosts the metabolism, I take it when I've got a cold. My parents are really into eating all healthy an' sich, there's an app they have on their fancy touch screen phones that calculates how many calories have been consumed judging by the foods eaten in certain amounts. They also replaced beef with turkey or chicken and cut bread out of their diets. I think they are really going nuts with weight loss, but my dad lost 50 pounds and started this health stuff after he quit the nails so I can tell it's working. Speaking of witch, Vitamin N suppresses hunger. You can trust me on that one, I'm 130.

Due to the fact that I do manual labor everyday I've decided that I'm on a mission to get more muscular, I need a brace of guns for when I don't have my brace of guns on me. &j(
Every morning I shoot 150 rounds with my Crossman Quest break barrel air rifle and switch arms, followed by 8 raw eggs and a glass of protein powder in whole milk. Then I work all day with a shovel and pick because I'm working on a pretty big landscaping job. I feel like it's working, I've been at it about a month. I can't wait until I can buy me a brace of Colt Dragoons (the original .44 Magnum) and shoot one with each hand! :-*

~Levi
 {?(

Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2012, 11:41:51 AM »
Busy, One word...Lazy!
That is what I am.  :-[
I think I need someone to light a fire under my butt, to get me going!  (?^

frontloader

• Email
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2012, 01:58:28 PM »
I have decided to get a Cobray derringer kit and show you guys the building process.
As far as I know you can build your own pistol given it has a rifled barrel, then it wouldn't fall into the category of "any other weapon" thus being legal. Of course this is Kommiefornia, but I'm moving to Arizona ASAP. If I am bending anything I'd be legal soon enough.

The parts kit is available from Practical Tactical: http://www.practicaltacticalky.com/oldSite/Leinad.html
Side plates and breech face: http://theflatspot.weebly.com/derringer-45lc410-ss-sideplates--breech-face.html

Today I loaded up some blackpowder .410 shells, I used 20 grains of powder and 1/3 an ounce of shot. I figure that should be light enough for a pistol!
.............................................DURN I just called Practical Tactical , and they are out of the kits...........frontloader
~Levi

Needles

• "What the Thinker thinks, the Prover proves." RAW
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2012, 05:41:12 PM »
Well, I got 'er done! I used a 56% silver kit to braze the breech plate to the side plates. I tried to use propane only, but it was taking too long to heat up. So, after about 15 minutes, I switched to MAPP gas and oxygen. That only took a couple of minutes! The silver braze is supposed to be good to 72000 pounds tensile strength. I got a little too much of the braze on the joint, so I had to use needle files on the backside of the breech to square it back out so the hammer would work. Actually, the brazing was about the easiest part of the whole process. The hammer spring has a plunger on top and sits in two slots under the grips. Getting that puppy in there was the toughest part--- you have to pry open the side plates, squeeze the hammer spring and plunger, then put it between the slots and let the sides close over it. That took several tries.

I had to use a rasp to put a slight taper on the grip spacer, so I could get it to slide into place without breaking the little tongue of plastic that covers the bottom area right behind the trigger. Then I had to do more work with the needle files to get the pin on the hammer to clear the hole in the breech plate. The trigger spring straddles the trigger and doubles as the spring for the barrel release, so you have to work it into place, then put the pin through the spring and the trigger. Then there's a flat metal piece that keeps the barrel release from moving unless the safety is pushed in. (I had to file one corner of the safety pin to get this to slide over the safety pin, too--- I did many test fittings before I actually used the C-clips to hold the pins in. We used to call those "Jesus Christ clips," because you usually end up saying, "Jesus Christ, where'd that little clip go?")

Last thing was to use a small screwdriver to push the two loose ends of the trigger spring up past the longer hole for the barrel release, and put the release bar in place. Then you use a hammer to press fit the ends on the barrel release. Someone was asking about putting their trigger back in. If you managed to get the trigger out without taking off the release bar, that's going to be really hard to do. I'd order another bar and ends from Excalibur, and use a dremel tool or something to take the old one off. The PDF with the instructions talks about checking the lockup. Mine was really tight, so I didn't have any problems there.

I apologize for hijacking the thread, and for the quality of the pictures. Maybe y'all can consider this a trailer. Now I've got to test fire it!
Jim

I am a simple hillbilly. My primative mind often has difficulty grasping the subtle nuances of your advanced society.

Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2012, 07:07:56 PM »
Needles, that looks great!  {?|

Needles

• Email
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2012, 07:42:42 PM »
Oops! I posted the wrong side. This side shows the safety and the little gizmo that keeps you from opening the breech unless the safety is pushed in. {L*
Jim

I am a simple hillbilly. My primative mind often has difficulty grasping the subtle nuances of your advanced society.

Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2012, 06:26:16 AM »
Needles, Busy, have you guys shot your guns yet?

Busyhands94

• Forum Legend
  • I am a grown ass man!
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2012, 06:14:25 PM »
Sadly I haven't even got around to building it yet. Don't know how to braze nor do I have a torch to do so with. But I might be able to find someone who can lend me the nessecary equipment to braze the breech and side plates together.
 {?(

Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2012, 07:53:02 AM »
Hi Busy, I know what ya mean Bud! I have so many project over here that...well, I'm just too darn lazy to finish them.  )L$

Needles

• Email
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2012, 10:52:54 AM »
I have shot a couple of #6 shot shells through it. The kick is significant, but that was no surprise. Roughly makes a bout a 1 foot pattern at about 15 feet.
Jim

Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2012, 01:26:11 PM »
Needles, have you tried any .45LC ammo yet?

Needles

• Email
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2012, 05:15:16 PM »
I haven't tried the .45LC yet. I'll let y'all know when I locate some and go to the range.
Jim

Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2012, 03:26:13 PM »
Hey! You can now get orange grips for these guns.  ;)