Well, I got 'er done! I used a 56% silver kit to braze the breech plate to the side plates. I tried to use propane only, but it was taking too long to heat up. So, after about 15 minutes, I switched to MAPP gas and oxygen. That only took a couple of minutes! The silver braze is supposed to be good to 72000 pounds tensile strength. I got a little too much of the braze on the joint, so I had to use needle files on the backside of the breech to square it back out so the hammer would work. Actually, the brazing was about the easiest part of the whole process. The hammer spring has a plunger on top and sits in two slots under the grips. Getting that puppy in there was the toughest part--- you have to pry open the side plates, squeeze the hammer spring and plunger, then put it between the slots and let the sides close over it. That took several tries.
I had to use a rasp to put a slight taper on the grip spacer, so I could get it to slide into place without breaking the little tongue of plastic that covers the bottom area right behind the trigger. Then I had to do more work with the needle files to get the pin on the hammer to clear the hole in the breech plate. The trigger spring straddles the trigger and doubles as the spring for the barrel release, so you have to work it into place, then put the pin through the spring and the trigger. Then there's a flat metal piece that keeps the barrel release from moving unless the safety is pushed in. (I had to file one corner of the safety pin to get this to slide over the safety pin, too--- I did many test fittings before I actually used the C-clips to hold the pins in. We used to call those "Jesus Christ clips," because you usually end up saying, "Jesus Christ, where'd that little clip go?")
Last thing was to use a small screwdriver to push the two loose ends of the trigger spring up past the longer hole for the barrel release, and put the release bar in place. Then you use a hammer to press fit the ends on the barrel release. Someone was asking about putting their trigger back in. If you managed to get the trigger out without taking off the release bar, that's going to be really hard to do. I'd order another bar and ends from Excalibur, and use a dremel tool or something to take the old one off. The PDF with the instructions talks about checking the lockup. Mine was really tight, so I didn't have any problems there.
I apologize for hijacking the thread, and for the quality of the pictures. Maybe y'all can consider this a trailer. Now I've got to test fire it!