Photobucket

Author Topic: Rogers & Spencer or another Remmy??  (Read 5852 times)

Offline Ari24

• Si vis pacem, para bellum ... WWJMBD?
Rogers & Spencer or another Remmy??
« on: May 23, 2012, 01:11:08 PM »
I'm a newbie on the forum and new to BP shooting as well but I've read enough here to know that one gun is not enough.  I've seen some very fine collections put together by all of you who can bid on GunBroker or get sales at Cabelas.  I'm not so lucky but there are compensations.
I'm looking to expand my collection but may not get past two or three examples.  I'm not allowed to carry so   personal defense is not an option , therefore I probably don't need a shorter barrel than the 6 1/2 " that I have... as much as I like the 1858 Sheriff model, SS, 5 1/2" - http://www.beckchasse.com/FicheProduit.asp?NumProduit=186

I had started to think that an Uberti version of my Pietta might be interesting but many of you appear to think that the quality is close enough to say there's no difference.

I've found that there exist still some Euroarms Rogers & Spencer .44s in the gun shops here, at about the same price as the sheriff model mentioned above.
The R&S appears to get good reviews and appears to be interesting in spite of not having a civil war history.
Can anyone suggest a good reason for or against either?
Thanks for your opinion.

Offline toolslinger

Re: Rogers & Spencer or another Remmy??
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 04:33:40 PM »
My friend, if you can get a Rogers and Spencer for the same price as a Remington where you are ,do it.  You owe it to yourself to try out both.
Where I am R&S ARE highly desired and more than twice the price of a Remmie.

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 09:00:13 PM »
If you can get an R&S, snatch it up. Euroarms is out of biz, and the Pedersoli version of that gun is at least three times what you could buy an R&S for. Since Pedersoli bought out Euroarms, there is little hope they will produce a cheaper version of the R&S to compete with themselves.
It's truly a unique gun and would compliment a Remmy rather well, (if I do say so myself!)
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Magnus

• Viking
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 05:16:24 AM »
In line with earlier comments:

Both Remington and Rogers & Spencer share many design qualities and are both solid and reliable guns. The R&S has a slightly larger chamber than the Remington and a grip that I think is better suited if you have large hands. Most new production R&S have the BP shooting community as a target group and has a very good barrel design/quality. At least on this side of the Atlantic, it's quite common to see R&S revolvers in BP competitions.

And when it comes to antique originals the R&S revolvers often have an action and barrel in condition as new. Of course because of the fact that it was produced to late to see action in the war and was instead locked up in storage for a long time. And as mentioned they are expensive!

So if you find a good deal for a R&S go for it. It's an impressive, well built, heavy, and accurate gun!

Just had a thought... -is it ok to suggest other guns than Remmys on this forum...?
   =K* :-[  ;)
Antique C&B guns enthusiast

Offline Ari24

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 08:32:15 AM »
Thanks for the advice.  I've ordered one and expect it within the week.  Just a few euros more than my SS Remington and in .44 cal.
The Euroarms site recommended .451 balls , which I've ordered as well but notice that one reviewer mentioned that .457s worked well also.  Has anyone any experience with either size?
I'm hoping to add a long gun - Ardesa Hawken Woodsman or similar, in .45 cal  - can I use the same balls in both the Woodsman and the Rogers & Spencer?
Excuse me for mixing topics.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 08:54:15 AM »
I'd go with .454's in the R&S. The .451's may do ok and they may move under recoil. No you can't use the same balls in a .45 rifle. You need a .440 patched ball for a rifle.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Ari24

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 02:21:33 PM »
So we need over-size balls for a revolver and under-size for a rifle?

Offline toolslinger

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 03:04:59 PM »
That is correct Ari. Revolvers need to shave a ring of lead all the way around the ball when seating while a rifle needs a cloth patch around the ball.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 06:45:07 PM »
Also the twist rate on the rifle will determine if it will even shoot round balls. A 1:48 is a decent twist for round balls and conicals but isn't ideal for either. A round ball does best with a 1:60 twist or slower.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline toolslinger

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 06:55:23 PM »
Yep  (T^ What Hawg said... It is my understanding though (PLEASE correct me if I am wrong) the original Hawken rifles and bunches o the contemporary makers used 1/48 twist ?  (^h ???

Offline Ari24

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 01:16:40 PM »
The Ardesa ones I've been looking at are 1/66.

Offline Ari24

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 04:22:00 AM »

One Black one, one White one  ....

My Remmy now has a buddy who arrived Saturday.  I suppose must be one of the last Euroarms still available new.  Very nicely put together, crisp  action, timing seems spot on, just the grips were a little disappointing.  I'm looking forward to new Saturday when I can shoot.

Does anyone have a link to a complete disassembly/reassembly description?  I'm sure I saw somewhere the procedure for blocking the main spring but I can't find it now and don't remember whether the hammer should be at full cock or not.  Thx!

Offline Magnus

• Viking
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 05:49:05 AM »
Nice pair of guns!

Disassembly instruction/ manual can be found here (should be the same as for Euroarms I think):
http://www.feinwerkbau.de/ceasy/modules/core/resources/main.php5?id=341-0
Antique C&B guns enthusiast

Offline Ari24

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 11:17:09 AM »
Thanks for that, Magnus - not the one I remember but it should work.

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 11:03:47 PM »
Oh hell....with almost all of my revolvers, I take 'em apart by the seat of my pants and re-assemble in reverse order.
They all work; I must be doing something right!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"