Photobucket

Hosted by: 1858Remington.com

Author Topic: Conversion Cylinders  (Read 9603 times)

Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
    • Email
Re: Conversion Cylinders
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 07:29:38 PM »
Do you mean, like putting the .45LC bullets in the BP cylinder?
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Mic214

• Email
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 08:43:35 PM »
Hey Mic214, do you reload your own .45LCs?

Yep, the load I am using for my Ruger NV, Uberti 1873 SAA and my Uberti 1873 Short Rifle is 6 grains of Unique behind a 250 gain lead RNFP.

Dellbert

• VIP Member
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 11:11:15 PM »
Now I like that Mic. That's all the bullet you need right there. I just looked the R&D cylinder up on Midway and there on sale right now for I believe it was $239.99 something close to that till May 31st. Wow!!! now ya done went and done it. 

Howell's Old West Conversions Drop-In Conversion Cylinder 44 Caliber Pietta 1858 Remington Steel Frame Black Powder Revolver 45 Colt (Long Colt) 6-Round Blued.

Was $267.99 On Sale $239.99 Save $28.00
 Sale expires 5/31/2012

Copyed this off there Web site.

Dell
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Wild Ed

• Wild Ed's Texas Outdoors
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2012, 03:18:07 AM »
They are $240.00 from Taylor's website.  ET
Stop by my Texas Outdoors Blog and leave a comment
http://wildedtx.blogspot.com/

fr3db3ar

• Ready, Aim, Breath
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2012, 04:57:56 AM »
Do you mean, like putting the .45LC bullets in the BP cylinder?
Yes, or are people not using cowboy ammo out of these?  Is it strictly roll your own with 100% lead?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Aim small, Miss small
When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first
I have no wish to battle anyone.  Let not desire be confused with ability.

alchemist

• VIP Member
  • Forum Legend
    • black powder times
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2012, 06:21:23 AM »
Anything that is in SAAMI specifications for the caliber are good to go in a conversion. 
"A good plan executed boldly now is better than a perfect plan next week."  My take off on a quote by  General George S. Patton
www.blackpowdertimes.com

Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2012, 06:33:37 AM »
I keep all .45LC loads 1000 fps or less. Never go over 1000 fps, you're asking for trouble.
You can use soft lead or hard lead, which ever you want or can get.  ;)
I use the .7 Lee dipper of Amec. Select Powder myself.

alchemist

• VIP Member
  • Forum Legend
    • black powder times
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2012, 06:41:35 AM »
I have always loved the .45 colt. Of course 210gr and 225 gr vs 250 or 300 at 1000 ft/sec are different animals with different pressures. Sam, you probably mean the 250 under 1000 ft /sec. That's still a mean load that will KO any deer or even black bear, so these loads, still in SAAMI pressure specs are nothing to sneeze at!
"A good plan executed boldly now is better than a perfect plan next week."  My take off on a quote by  General George S. Patton
www.blackpowdertimes.com

Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2012, 06:58:14 AM »
I meant .230gr RN lead bullets. With this load I'm getting 810 fps.

BGRooster1

• Forum Legend
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2012, 09:00:24 AM »
 I use a Kirst in my ASP . I have no problems switching between the percussion and Kirst cylinder . The one I have is made for Uberti revolvers and fits the ASP with a good fit .
Maj.Bull S. Hitter on the CAS forum

Better to ask forgiveness.Than to beg permission

Cap & Ball revolvers are like Lay's potato chips , you can't have just one!!

alchemist

• VIP Member
  • Forum Legend
    • black powder times
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2012, 11:37:22 AM »
Mike Venturino has been really down on the .45 Colt lately for SAAMI loads. He feels the Army abandoned that round for it poor performance once BP was done. Too much space in the case makes for erratic ignition depending on the location of the powder in the case. Certainly Trail Boss powder addresses that.  I do think the schofield case is better for SAAMI .45 Colt smokeless loads.  Kirst also has a 45 acp cylinder too, but of course not as authentic.  I guess there is a 45 cowboy case too being sold that has the same specs as the 45 acp case but has a 45 colt thickness rim.  I haven't tried it yet.
www.blackpowdertimes.com

rbertalotto

• VIP Member
    • RVB Precision Web Page
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2012, 02:46:16 AM »
If you folks are not using "Cowboy 45 Special" brass from Aderondack Jack, you don't know what you are missing.

With Black powder you have half the powder cost with half the recoil but all the noise and smoke and sparks.

With smokeless the case capacity issue is a no issue and accuracy is simply amazing.

I have a brace of Kirst converted Remington 1858 and Colt 1860s. All Cylinders bought from Hoof. I couldn't be more pleased with the performance. I beat the hell out of them during Cowboy Action Shooting with no issues!
Roy B
Massachusetts
www.rvbprecision.com

alchemist

• VIP Member
  • Forum Legend
    • black powder times
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2012, 11:52:38 AM »
Adirondack jack lives around the corner from me and I've been meaning to try his brass, For reduced loads in 45 colt, they gotta be the way to go!! That's the brass I was talking about!
www.blackpowdertimes.com

Wild Ed

• Wild Ed's Texas Outdoors
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2012, 12:00:17 PM »
how much black powder do they hold?
Stop by my Texas Outdoors Blog and leave a comment
http://wildedtx.blogspot.com/

alchemist

• VIP Member
  • Forum Legend
    • black powder times
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2012, 12:17:50 PM »
160                                   Trail Boss          3.8                      520               A winning load from a State Champion

200                                   IMR 700X            4.3                      650                Accurate, POA in 5.5:" Rugers (A favorite)

200                                       Unique            5.2                      580               Dirty, reasonable accuracy, real mouse phart

200                                  Trail Boss            4.0                       ?                  soft shooting, accurate

230                                 Power Pistol         6.2                      750               Snappy 

NON-CAS LOAD DATA

150 EPP-UG BIG LUBE     Power Pistol   8.5                     1130         Fair accuracy.  Fair trade off between                     
                                                                                                                        penetration and initial "shock"in a water jug. 

200                                 Triple Seven       13.2 (weight)      680              A sweetie

230                                 Triple Seven       13.2 (weight)     710               Works good

250                                 Triple Seven       13.2 (weight)     730               Consistent, a snappy load.

200                                    Goex FFG         15.0                     ?                  A minimum load, very soft shooter

250                                    Goex FFG         15.0                     ?                  Slight compression, soft shooter.

200 J/P original  nose      777 FFG      12.0  (weight)    765             Bullet seats deep, this load is very consistent

200 J/P (original)                Red Dot      4.2                      740              shows promise

200 J/P (original)                700X            4.3                       740              NICE!

200 J/P (long nose)           777 FFG     13.2 (weight)     700              Very accurate, good case seal.
                                                                                                          Nice  bullet/powder  combination

160 Shooters choice          777 FFG       15.0 (weight)     ?                 Soft shooting, accurate, guns ran well.

200 Bald Head RNFP           777 FFG      13.0 (weight)    680              Worked well

150 EPP/UG BIG LUBE       777 FFG      12.5 (weight)     675             about as light as I'd go with 777  Fair accuracy

150 EPP/UG BIG LUBE       777 FFG      13.4 (weight)     780             soft shooter, fairly decent accuracy

150 EPP/UG BIG LUBE       777 FFG       14.9 (weight)    830             Nice burn, acccurate, pretty clean cases

http://cowboy45special.com

They also recommend and sell special 130gr hollow core bullets "barnstormer bullets"
www.blackpowdertimes.com