Author Topic: Hell on Wheels - TV series  (Read 11305 times)

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
Re: Hell on Wheels - TV series
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2015, 09:44:52 AM »
BTT
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2015, 11:55:24 AM »
Off topic a bit maybe but it's really refreshing to see a current TV series without token homosexuals.

But they did have a pair of homosexuals didn't they. Remember the governors' men? That is the reason the one got so upset over the other's death.

Offline SourMashII

• Forum Legend
  • Smokin'......
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2015, 03:14:15 PM »
I've only watched the first season, we need to re-up the NetFlix, hook up the Wii, and get caught up. Had I to do it over again, my screen name would be Cullen Bohannon..... {L*
Soaking this up like a Parched sponge.

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2015, 10:10:42 PM »
I've only watched the first season, we need to re-up the NetFlix, hook up the Wii, and get caught up. Had I to do it over again, my screen name would be Cullen Bohannon..... {L*

You already had one do-over with the name. That's all you get. M__
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline SourMashII

• Forum Legend
  • Smokin'......
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2015, 10:11:52 PM »
Lol, wasn't asking. If it really mattered... I'd form a new profile...(like couldn't sleep at night and had cold sweats)

But I hate that, I like post continuity.

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2015, 10:30:56 PM »
Lol, wasn't asking. If it really mattered... I'd form a new profile...(like couldn't sleep at night and had cold sweats)

But I hate that, I like post continuity.
I was pullin' yer leg, Kev. But you don't wanna lose your post count anyway, do you? :9)
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline SourMashII

• Forum Legend
  • Smokin'......
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2015, 01:22:25 AM »
I've never been a post count junkie, shy away from post padding threads on various forums, and figured you might have been, but like I said, continuity through out makes the most sense.

Hell, if'n I was gonna change my moniker, Two Dogs Slim makes more sense than anything, as I have two, and I are... lol

All in good fun, but I sure do like the character that the writer wrote into Bohannon's overall screen presence.

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2015, 01:03:58 PM »
Dear Friends,
            I am with 92Wrangler on this one! When one considers the Monumental Screw-Ups that Hollywierd Usually makes, be thankful that most of the Handguns ARE Percussion Revolvers.  Some Directors would want to re-make the show with Uzi's & Glocks! Or slip in a Mod Colt revolver from 1917 with a swing out cylinder!  How many times have you seen on a movie, a fellow blazing away with a Colt Style Percussion Revolver, run out of ammo, then the scene shifts momentarily, and less that five seconds later, the original Gunman or Cowboy is back in action, blazing away at the Indians/Cattle Rustlers/ Bank Robbers, Whatever!!!
            I do agree with Cullen Bohannon's Philosphy!  I especially like the scene, when he is holding at gunpoint the relative of one of the persons he has killed for the attack on his family in Meridian, Miss. He says to the guy, "Is there anything that I can say to you, that will make you change you mind about this? (Meaning the guy's desire to continue to hunt him down and kill him.) The guys says "NO!"  Bohannon nods his heads slightly in understanding of the guys viewpoint, then squeezes the trigger and blows half the guy's head off! I thought that was a very practical thing to do!  Very sensible as well!
            I do not notice as many flaws as some of you do.  I do not have the knowlede to pick out some of the mistakess, like the ones that would stand out like a bandaged Thum to a peson like Hawg for example!  All I knew about the Griswold and Gunnisson, was that it was a Confederate copy of the Colt Navy pistol. I did not know that it had a rounded barrel for example! 
            I very much enjoy watching,"Ride with the Devil," which is all about a bunch of Southern Guerrilla's! There were glaring mistakes in the weaponry there also, mainly in the number of Brass Framed Remington's! But looking at it from a Producers point of view, the brass framed one's were most likely considerably cheaper to buy in bulk!  Present company aside, MOST movie goers would not notice if some of the pistoleero's were carrying nickel plated Webly & Scott revolvers, circa World War One!!! Let us be grateful for Small Mercies, and also for the early makers of Spaghetti Western's!  I believe that mainly because their country was producing Cap & Ball revolvers in large numbers, and that their Armorers could in between takes, easily reload the actors guns with lots of spare loaded (With Blanks!) cylinders, was a contributory factor, in the correctness of most of the weaponry, carried in those early Spaghetti Western!
            I remember wincing, as Anthony Steffan, scurrying about the rooftops of a Spaghetti Western Set, and picking off Bad Guys with an 1866 Remington Revolving Carbine.  He was NOT holding the weapon correctly, for his left hand was grasping the barrel about ten inches in FRONT of the cylinder!  I used to enjoy Anthony Steffan's Movies. He died some years ago now, on one of my Birthdays!  I forget which one though!
            I think we just have to accept, that Hollywierd is going to continue to make AWFUL mistakes, because THEY KNOWN that the VAST majority of Film Goers, know Diddly Squat, about what weapon was, or was not, correct for that time and place in True History!!!  SOME will notice if a Cowboy or Western Gunman, is carrying something like a S & W Mod 19, but not too many will!  Take an otherwise excellent movie with Kevin Costner & Robert Duval, "Open Range." Soon after the Big Fight starts, Kevin Costner fans off either seven or eight rounds from a '73 Colt SA Army!  This blunder could have been avoided quite simply, by him dropping the empty gun, and doing a Border Shift!  In the story line, they already had a lot of extra weapons they had taken from Denton Baxter's men, after they worked them over in the woods the night before!  It was an un-necessarily stupid mistake! Costner has demonstrated in other western's he has been in, (Silverado!) that he has sufficient skill with '73 Colts to have done this bit of gunplay!
                                                                                     Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 01:09:30 PM by Gunslinger9378 »
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2015, 01:36:48 PM »
Hi Johnnie, even when Hollywood uses cap and ball revolvers, most of those revolvers are fitted with conversion cylinders so they can use BP blanks.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2015, 05:42:36 PM »
Hi Johnnie, even when Hollywood uses cap and ball revolvers, most of those revolvers are fitted with conversion cylinders so they can use BP blanks.

Regards,
Richard

Yessiree! Even some CW films use trapdoors so they can load blanks. Or,  probably because they don't want "actors" shooting ramrods at each other? BOOM! ZAAaaaaaawingwingwingwingwing..............

Forgot to add; yes the armorer/historians likely are not. Probably just a "hey!, my buddies cousin knows about guns, and ,uh, well he's not working right now. How's about using him"?
Nothing expresses Liberty more, than the report of a rifle shot fired in the defense of Freedom.

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2015, 11:31:53 AM »
It angers me to see so many brass-framed guns in TV shows. Just about every bad guy on Hell On Wheels has a brass-framed colt-style revolver - despite not only a rarity of those in reality, but the fact that most of these bad guys are Yankees or foreigners.
The BBC show Copper is just as bad on that front and had half the Copperheads running around with Confederate-style guns.

Brass Remmys are unforgiveable under any circumstance. Ok, to save costs, go with the brasser, but you can age brass to make it look like a bronzy case-hardened steel from a distance with certain acids, or you could paint it or blue it, or tarish it to a brownish color, or use a doggone magic marker on it to hide the fact it is brass.

Offline Pustic

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Proud American Hillbilly Infidel
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2015, 12:00:17 PM »
Is this stupid show still on the air?
{?( Be ye not afraid of the truth, for the "Truth Has No Agenda".  :9)
"If they come to take, they also come to die." Pustic 3:16

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2015, 12:19:26 PM »
Kimmy just told me that she hasn't seen any new series on TV lately.

I do still have them saved on my Netflix.
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2015, 02:01:39 PM »
I like Hell on Wheels, and I'm pretty sure it was picked up for another season, but AMC follows something like the British method of seasons where seasons start and stop whenever they feel like it and there may be an entire year (or more in the case of the Brits) from the end of one season to the beginning of the next.

Offline joewolz

« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2015, 02:13:19 PM »
I am saddened by the historical innacuracies in the guns on the show.  However, I dig the show overall.  It's a really good Western. 

Damn good in my opinion.