Author Topic: Hell on Wheels - TV series  (Read 11256 times)

Offline Beauhooligan

Hell on Wheels - TV series
« on: December 27, 2011, 10:56:42 PM »
I've been watching the series Hell on Wheels on TNT, and the folks making the show, even the "armorer said that they are being historically correct. One of the items they showed on the "making of" piece said that the pistol that Connor Bohannon carries is a Griswold and Gunnison revolver. I'll admit that I'm not very knowledgeable about all civil war pistols, but from what I've seen, a .44 caliber G&G pistol should have a brass frame, a barrel turned round and a loading lever like an 1851 Colt. The pistol used in the series looks like a brass 1860 Colt Army, with the slender swept barrel and a creeping loading lever. A brass framed 1860. Did G&G ever build such a pistol? I thought that G&Gs looked like the pistol in the photos scobrien put in his Pics of the Griswold & Gunnison thread.

Another thing that is out of whack is that others are carrying brass framed 1851 Navy Colt's with rebated cylinders, and .44 caliber bores. These pistols have octagon barrels and proper loading levers. I don't think anyone produced samples of such in the day. I thought that pistols like these never existed then; just being made in the last 10 years or so, and available from vendors like Cabela's as "Pietta Model 1851 Confederate Navy .44 Caliber Revolver".

The last bit is tiny, but I think it is interesting. Bohannon carries a 1866 Winchester rifle, and the events of the series happen in 1865. Am I just being picky, or am I stupid. :)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 11:03:02 PM by Beauhooligan »
Beauhooligan - Beauregard Hooligan, NRA and NMLRA Life, SASS Life 5674, Founder Mother Lode Shootist Society. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

It may be better to be a live jackal than a dead lion, but it is better still to be a live lion. And usually easier.
    --Lazarus Long

Offline mjcoop

Re: Hell on Wheels - TV series
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 11:06:16 PM »
I'm just as picky and its fun to find the flaws. I haven't caught all the ones you have, but I have caught a few. Was wondering about the Winchester though but haven't got a good enough look to see if it was a Henry.
Just remember, when seconds count the police are just minutes away...........

Offline Pustic

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Proud American Hillbilly Infidel
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 11:15:47 PM »
On the last episode, I thought I saw a Henry Yellow Boy. The gun had a brass frame, a long barrel and ammo tube, with no fore stock.
{?( Be ye not afraid of the truth, for the "Truth Has No Agenda".  :9)
"If they come to take, they also come to die." Pustic 3:16

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Offline Berkley

• International Kukri Research & Historical Society
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 11:47:58 PM »

All of the revolvers used on the show appear to be brass framed, including navy, dragoon, and new model army barrel types. This is apparently a conscious decision designed to make things look "old timey" rather than authentic. If ya want a good laugh, check out AMC's wbsite which features video of the show's armorer, who proudly shows off his "period 1880s blunderbuss". )L$

Don't think I would have wanted to go up against, say, a Mauser 71/84 with a single-shot short-barreled smoothbore flinter, but maybe he's talking about a different 1880s. ->i
(And, yeah, I know the show is set at the end of the Civil War, so his reference to the 1880s is just more evidence of their "whatever" approach to history. ::) )

Offline Smokey

• Domain Adminstrator
  • Administrator
  • Forum Legend
    • 1858Remington.com
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 11:53:32 PM »
So called educated idiots. There are morons out there that will take what they view on tv as PC truth, since they consider these imbeciles to be authorities.  }),
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 11:55:34 PM by Smokey »

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 05:51:53 AM »
it's just entertainment for historical ignorant masses.
 true enough charlie  as a matter of fact i think thats what the tv was made fer  )L$  if ya believe all the reality on tv yer livin in an alternate reality!
if yall get this way,drop on by!

Offline Geraldo

• Lead singer and driver of the Winnebago
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 06:23:32 AM »
I've seen the credentials of a few tv/movie "armorers" and they're not impressive, but nobody in TV cares.  The objective of TV is first and foremost to sell advertising time, if it happens to be entertaining that's good.  If it's informative or accurate that's just a coincidence.  The reason "reality" and "news" shows are so big is that they are much cheaper to make than a show requiring scripts, sets, etc.

I know one guy who has gotten his own shows on some of the sportsman channels, and he is incredibly knowledgeable about modern weapons, but I see he's gone over to the silly/stupid side with some of the stuff he does on them now.  In the end, it's all about the $$$.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 07:28:03 AM »
They must have studied firearms history out of a Cabela's catalog. )L$
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Berkley

• International Kukri Research & Historical Society
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 07:37:05 AM »
They must have studied firearms history out of a Cabela's catalog. )L$
That's funny as hell - even if it is true! )L$ (?^ ->i

Offline Rock Island

• Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 08:13:07 AM »
You want to learn about the guns of the post civil war period before cartridge guns became common then come here, to be entertained go see the TV  )L$ (?^ ->i
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.  Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Fingers McGee

• Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 11:27:01 AM »
I've been watching the series Hell on Wheels on TNT, and the folks making the show, even the "armorer said that they are being historically correct. One of the items they showed on the "making of" piece said that the pistol that Connor Bohannon carries is a Griswold and Gunnison revolver. I'll admit that I'm not very knowledgeable about all civil war pistols, but from what I've seen, a .44 caliber G&G pistol should have a brass frame, a barrel turned round and a loading lever like an 1851 Colt. The pistol used in the series looks like a brass 1860 Colt Army, with the slender swept barrel and a creeping loading lever. A brass framed 1860. Did G&G ever build such a pistol? I thought that G&Gs looked like the pistol in the photos scobrien put in his Pics of the Griswold & Gunnison thread.

Another thing that is out of whack is that others are carrying brass framed 1851 Navy Colt's with rebated cylinders, and .44 caliber bores. These pistols have octagon barrels and proper loading levers. I don't think anyone produced samples of such in the day. I thought that pistols like these never existed then; just being made in the last 10 years or so, and available from vendors like Cabela's as "Pietta Model 1851 Confederate Navy .44 Caliber Revolver".

The last bit is tiny, but I think it is interesting. Bohannon carries a 1866 Winchester rifle, and the events of the series happen in 1865. Am I just being picky, or am I stupid. :)

You are correct, the Griswold and Gunnison revolver was a .36 caliber, brass framed revolver with a dragoon styled barrel.   The "Griswold" carried by Bohanan (they never call it a Griswold and Gunnison, only 'Griswold) is usually a brass framed 1860 Army; but sometimes it shows up as an octagonal barreled revolver.

There never were any .44 caliber brass framed revolvers made back in the day.  They first appeard on the scene in the 1960s made by G&U, ASP, ASM & Uberti.  Pietta is just the current manufacturer of them.

Yes, you are being picky   ^y%.  Of course, so are many, many others on BP forums  ^y% ^y%.  The weapons used in the show are for the most part about as historically accurate as zippers on loin cloths.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS 28564-LTG-Regulator, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Founding member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters.  Member:  The Ozarks Posse, Southern Missouri Rangers, Moniteau Creek River Raiders, Butterfield Trail Cowboys.

Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 11:34:34 AM »
as historically accurate as zippers on loin cloths.

(?^ Now that's funny right there, I don't care who ya are. )L$ ->i
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

brushhippie

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 11:48:53 AM »
Gotta agree!! (?^ (?^ (?^ How did you know my Griswold had a zipper?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 11:50:08 AM by brushhippie »

Offline Boomstik

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 12:37:41 PM »
 )L$ (?^ ->i Yup ,thats funny.
Dont ever kick a sleeping dog.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 01:08:02 PM »

All of the revolvers used on the show appear to be brass framed, including navy, dragoon, and new model army barrel types. This is apparently a conscious decision designed to make things look "old timey" rather than authentic. If ya want a good laugh, check out AMC's wbsite which features video of the show's armorer, who proudly shows off his "period 1880s blunderbuss". )L$
Don't think I would have wanted to go up against, say, a Mauser 71/84 with a single-shot short-barreled smoothbore flinter, but maybe he's talking about a different 1880s. ->i
(And, yeah, I know the show is set at the end of the Civil War, so his reference to the 1880s is just more evidence of their "whatever" approach to history. ::) )

At best, the armorer is woefully ignorant.  At worst, an idiot, that's for sure.  While holding up the brass framed 1860, he says that there were around 100,000 Griswolds made, then they blew up the factory.  Uh, Uh, I don't think so.......... There were around 3,700 Griswold and Gunnison revolvers made and the Northern troops burned Griswoldville, to include the factory. 

Now, maybe he was mixing up his statistics, there were around 150,000 1860 Armies made, and the G&Gs had brass frames; so......... maybe he was thinking that the Brass framed 1860 he was holding was a .44 Griswold (not G&G) and that there was 100,000 or so of them made.  Ya know, mixing apples and oranges and coming up with fruit salad; being nervous in front of the camera; or, better yet; maybe all of it was just an editing error.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS 28564-LTG-Regulator, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Founding member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters.  Member:  The Ozarks Posse, Southern Missouri Rangers, Moniteau Creek River Raiders, Butterfield Trail Cowboys.

Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce