Author Topic: Interesting news print form 1861  (Read 3843 times)

Offline scobrien

Interesting news print form 1861
« on: December 27, 2011, 08:50:36 PM »
Been taking some time each evening to enjoy some reading of my choice. Has made for a nice change of pace considering all the reading of "their" choice that I have been doing to complete this degree that I just finished. Anyway, I came across this tid bit last night concerning the Schneider & Glassick. It comes from the book Firearms Of The Confederacy by Fuller & Stuart. The following was printed in the Memphis Daily Appeal on Dec. 8, 1861.

"Memphis Manufacture.  We were yesterday shown by Messrs. Schneider & Glassic, of Jefferson street, between Front and Main streets, a six shooter Navy pistol of their own manufacture. It is a beautiful weapon, not inferior to the Colt's make in any particular. The finish of the whole, the accuracy of the parts and the excellent working of the mechanism are admirable. Iron, brass works and wood works are all specimens of skill. We are proud that Memphis can turn out such splendid workmanship."

Realizing the opportunities for bias regarding the quality as well as the support of Southern manufacture, I found the printing interesting. Money talked then just as it does today. Just who spoke those words, I do not know and may never. Was it supporters of the S & G boys who were in their pockets for CSA contracts, or just hype put out by the media of the day, I can only speculate?

I seem to recall that only three specimens exist for evaluation today, and I then consider that Memphis was sacked early on by the North (not sure of the exact date). Was the sack by the North the cause for the reason that S & G's were never produced in high numbers or was their an issue in obtaining a government contract?

Regardless, it is way too cool to have a specimen today that resembles an S & G. Thank goodness for the Italian boys that make such revolvers for us men in the U. S. to enjoy. Kind of changes the perspective of having just another "brass framed revolver" that does not resemble an original Colt modle.

Any thoughts or opinions from you more knowledgeable pistoleros?

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
Re: Interesting news print form 1861
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 09:13:21 PM »
I have read that before.....and also the speculation that Memphis was sacked partially to destroy the fledgling arms manufacturing plant, as was done, I believe, to the Dance Bros. manufacturing facility.
This same technique carried forward into WWII with the bombing of Schweinfurt and Hiroshima, both industrial cities providing vital weapons and supplies.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline scobrien

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 09:28:44 PM »
Thanks for the input Capt. I am also seeing documentation of strategic displacement of Southern manufacturing plants to stay one step ahead of Northern aggregation. Several later plants moved multiple times in order to remain in production ahead of Northern advancement. Could it be that S & G was one of the first to be sacked by 1861/62 and were unable to rebuild? Their distruction may have then set the precedence for other firms to be prepared to relocate ahead of advancement.

Will check out the Dance Bros. situation and post findings of any pertinant info.

Thanks again good man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 09:32:36 PM by scobrien »

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 09:34:16 PM »
Yep, I think so. If I'm not mistaken the same fate became of Mssrs Griswold & Gunnison. I don't think it was Yankee Luck nor fate.
I have some links to information on this somewhere...when I find it, I'll post the links for it.

Offline scobrien

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 09:50:54 PM »
Looking forward to the links, The more info the better. Ya G & G definately made the move ahead of the North. Got some additional info from the same book on how many Northern Colts the South purchaced in addition to the Confederate modles produced if your interested. If so, give me the evening to summarize what I got.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 09:52:30 PM by scobrien »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 09:56:49 PM »
That would be a very interesting read. Looking forward to it!

Offline Fingers McGee

• Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 10:57:07 PM »
Prior to the Dec 8 article in the paper, S&G were gunsmiths and firearms retailers.  There is another ad placed in the Memphis Appeal on March 7 1862 by Mssrs Schneider and Glassick encourageing anyone with weapons (rifles, pistols and swords) at their location to pick them up by 15 March or they would be turned over to the Confederate government.  By March 15th Memphis had fallen to the North.  They were never heard from again after that.  [Confederate Revolvers - William A. Gary; 1987]

Historians and  researchers of Confederate firearms regard the Schneider and Glassick as nothing more than a footnote that has to be added cause there are 3 known examples.

Other references you might want to check that reference the S&G are:
Civil War Guns - William B. Edwards - 1962
Confederate Handguns - William A. Albaugh III, Hugh Benet Jr, Edward B Simmons -1958

While you're at it, check out the books on the other Confederate revolvers:
Col. Burton's Spiller and Burr Revolver - Mathew W. Norman - 1996
The Original Confederate Colt, the story of the Leech and Rigdon and Rigdon-Ansley Revolver - William A. Albaugh III and Richard B. Steuart - 1953
The Confederate Brass Framed Colt and Whitney - William A. Albaugh III - 1993
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 12:28:46 PM by Fingers McGee »
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS 28564-LTG-Regulator, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Founding member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters.  Member:  The Ozarks Posse, Southern Missouri Rangers, Moniteau Creek River Raiders, Butterfield Trail Cowboys.

Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Berkley

• International Kukri Research & Historical Society
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 11:22:18 PM »
Thousands of old newspapers, including that issue of the Memphis Daily Appeal, are available for viewing online at the Library of Congress - Chronicling America website. The link for that issue is here.
The story on Schneider & Glassick is on page four, two-thirds of the way down the column headed "Local Matters".
Other items of interest covered there included:
- lists of preachers for Sunday:  Rev. High at Beal Street Baptist, Rev. Dr. Glover at Forest Chapel at 11 o'clock and to the colored people at 3 o'clock ;
-Fort Sumter will be taken again at Odd Fellows Hall Thursday for the benefit of the sick and wounded soldiers;
-Captain Klink of the police informs us that it is his intention to break up the lewd and disgraceful dancing parties that are too common in the city;
-Mr. Passmore's military school is going on successfully;
-a visitor to the Mayor's house yesterday was found to have left behind a "shocking bad hat" of his own and made off with a fine homberg belonging to the Mayor's nephew;
-news in the case of  Selby, charged with the murder of a woman in a house of ill fame, seeking his discharge on grounds of insanity;
-P.H. Heinrich & Co. have an excellent stock of all kinds of confectionary, splendid candy of their own manufacture, and fine quality cigars, wines and liquors;
-Memphis Manufacture - We were yesterday shown by Messrs Schneider & Glassic a six shooter navy pistol of their manufacture....;
-Christmas Pies - Our friend Specht, one of the best fellows in the city, has fresh hot mince pies daily at his establishment. Give him a call, he deserves your patronage;
-The Chaplain of the Fourth Tennessee Regiment is now receiving donations for this regiment stationed at Cumberland Gap, and acknowledges receipt of blankets and articles of clothing from generous ladies and gentlemen in Memphis;
-A grand concert will be given tomorrow evening under the direction of Prof. Katzenbach, on behalf of Southern Mothers, including a variety of overtures, choruses and duets; "Hail Ye Free" and "The Flag of the South" are among the pieces selected;
-Another shooting at Jake Spears' - in addition to the murder of a man a few days ago during a dance, another man was shot at the same infamous den, which was kept open without a license. On Friday night a dance was going on, and the women present were, of course, of the worst character. A quarrel arose, in which some of the city police were participants, when a most outrageous strife ensued and several pistol shots were fired. George Penn, formerly captain of the chain gang, was arrested on charge of firing the shot which inflicted the wound. Policeman Johnson, for participating in the disturbance, was fined twenty-five dollars.
------------
A couple of interesting ads from the same issue:

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 05:14:11 AM »
very interestin readin here boys ! (T^
if yall get this way,drop on by!

Offline scobrien

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 11:07:47 AM »
Thanks a lot Fingers and Berkley for the additional sources. Here is a bit of info concerning Colt revolvers in the South taken from the same source used for my first post. Not as detailed as I first thought during my initial read, but still some interesting points concerning Southern possesion of Northern built Colts.

Just prior to the April conflict at Fort Sumter that got the ball rolling, North Carolina purchased 500 Navy revolvers in March for the sum of $8,454.

Also in March, a C. Leonard of Petersburg VA. advertised that he just received Colt pistols, "army, navy and belt size for sale."

It seems that the South initially had no trouble making business deals with Northern manufacturers. Early on the Secretary of War sent Col. James Cameron to major cities like Baltimore, New York, New Haven, and Hartford to "investigate the sale of arms to the South."

On Christmas Eve, 1863, newspapers reported the seizure of the steamer George Cromwell that was about to leave New York. Found amongst the cargo were 50 kegs labled lard, but when opened, each keg was filled with Navy revolvers.

That same year, CSA General Bee reported that pistols could be bought in New York and shipped to Brownsville, Texas with ease. He was offered "5,000 Colt's revolvers at $25 for the Navy and $38 for the Army size."

The book also reports that the South captured some 45,000 small arms from the North. No doubt many of them Colts, given that by June of 1862, the North had already purchased more than 54,000 holster and belt modle Colt revolvers.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 03:27:12 PM by scobrien »