Author Topic: Got me a Schneider & Glassick  (Read 5330 times)

Offline scobrien

Got me a Schneider & Glassick
« on: December 18, 2011, 09:30:48 PM »
Well sort of got me one;)  I was up at a buddies last night trading off one of my flintlock rifles for one that he owned and also wanting to check out a brassed framed .36 that he had. Anyway, after I told him that I wanted it, he just handed it to me and said take it home and enjoy. He knows how much I love open topped revolvers.

He had picked this one up used from a local second hand shop here in town 10 years ago or so. I remember seeing it back then, but never paid much attention to it. Got to reading about the S & G on this board and it got my interest up about the pistol that he had. Well the only problem with this one that makes it a "sort of" is that it has the Ormsby navel scene engraved on the cylinder.

It is an ASM and has been shot very little and is still nice and tight. It is in excellent shape but the factory finish/polish on all of the metal parts leaves little to be desired. After I got home with it last night, I stayed up late putting a touch up on the poorly finished frame, trigger guard, and back strap. Hated to remove the patina from all that brass, but hell, there was still casting pits in spots and it looked liked it had been buffed out with 100 grit paper. It sure looks better now. The naval scene on the cylinder is not real deep, and it is gonna be the next thing to go when I get more time.

It looks good setting on the load bench next to the Griswold & Gunnison that I just got. For someone who has never really wanted a brass framed revolver, seems odd that I ended up with two of them in the same week. Thanks to this forum, they have a lot more meaning to me now that I know more historical background on CSA revolvers . Suppose I will have to get a Spiller and Burr next :P

Sorry no pics yet. Did not think about taking a few today when I was snapping pics of the G & G. I will get some posted up down the road.

Online Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
Re: Got me a Schneider & Glassick
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 09:56:22 PM »
Cool!
Like you, a year ago I didn't give a rat's ass about brassers. Now I've got two of 'em and have discovered the beauty behind it all.
For some reason, the action and triggers just seem better, more fluid. And brass is surprisingly easy to care for. Just give 'em a once-over with a little Flitz and they shine like a baby's behind!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline scobrien

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 10:01:59 PM »
Just as someone did on the other board here, I can blame you for having them now:) :) :) :) Cant think of a better reason to be blamed for something than to cause another shooter to own more pistols!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for that. If you had not invited me over here, who knows how long it would have been before getting one.

Online Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 10:27:22 PM »
Yup. I am responsible for the downfall of more than one pilgrim!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline scobrien

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 06:49:30 PM »
Here are three pics after some cosmetics work. Removed all the stamping from the barrel as well as cleaned up all the burs and sharp edges. Removed the roll engraving from the cylinder and cleaned up all the tool marks and burs from the nipple recesses. Used cold blue to refinish both the barrel and cylinder even though it is not the best choice or most durable. It is ok with me if the blue wears fast. It now looks more like an S & G and I was not wanting a "brass framed navy modle" It also now has a clean, well finished look to it. A big improvement from the original state with a bit of extra file work and hand polishing. Hind sight now has me regretting the fact that I never took any prior pics before the refinish/defarb job.

I will shoot it the very first chance I get this week.

Reposted these pics on 12-22-11 to take care of the past fuzzy immages. We will see if they stay clear this time.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 07:22:10 PM by scobrien »

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 06:52:22 PM »
Looks good. Real good.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 12:08:20 PM »
Good looking revolver Scobrien
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS 28564-LTG-Regulator, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Founding member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters.  Member:  The Ozarks Posse, Southern Missouri Rangers, Moniteau Creek River Raiders, Butterfield Trail Cowboys.

Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Boomstik

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 01:44:08 PM »
Sweet looking shooter friend.
Dont ever kick a sleeping dog.

Offline Fingers McGee

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 06:41:46 PM »
Here are three pics after some cosmetics work. Removed all the stamping from the barrel as well as cleaned up all the burs and sharp edges. Removed the roll engraving from the cylinder and cleaned up all the tool marks and burs from the nipple recesses.

How did you remove the roll engraving?
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS 28564-LTG-Regulator, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Founding member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters.  Member:  The Ozarks Posse, Southern Missouri Rangers, Moniteau Creek River Raiders, Butterfield Trail Cowboys.

Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline rdstrain49

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 09:12:46 PM »
with a roll engraving remover of course.
"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."
Norman Schwartzkopf

Offline Fingers McGee

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 11:15:10 PM »
with a roll engraving remover of course.

Veeeeerrrrry funny Roger.   ^y%  The cold getting to you yet ????   :-*

Let me repharase the question:

What specific equipment, materials, and process was used to remove the roll engraving???
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 11:17:13 PM by Fingers McGee »

Offline scobrien

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 11:56:11 PM »
I decided that the best way for me to remove the engraving and still keep the cylinder perfectly round was to chuck it up in my drill press and use progressive grit emery paper rather than do it all by hand. I dug around and found a bolt that was close to the same diameter as the arbor hole and long enough to pass through the arbor hole with enough shank left sticking out to lock into the drill press chuck. To make up for the undersized hole, I wrapped some masking tape around the bolt so that it just fit snug into the hole. The tape served to center the bolt in the arbor hole. I put a brass washer on both ends of the bolt where it passed through the cylinder (one against the cylinder face and one against the ratchet cogs) and tightend up the assembly with a nut on the opposite end of the bolt head. When I chucked the bolt/cylinder up in the press and turned it on, it appeared to be turning quite true. I also wrapped some masking tape around the diameter of the cylinder at the transition between the bolt recesses and where the roll engraving ended. I did this so that I would not remove too much metal from the recesses.

I then found a bastard file that was close to the width of the distance from my masking tape boarder and the face of the cylinder. I wrapped a piece of buckskin around the file and than wrapped the emery cloth around the works. The buckskin was a tip that I learned from an old gun builder to make up for uneven cant and hand pressure when polishing/sanding by hand.

I adjusted the belt on the press to a fairly high speed and the used a two hand old on the file and applied even pressure against the cylinder. I started out with 150 grit, then to 220, 320, 400, and finished off with 600. I shut the press down regularly to check my work and ensure that everything was consistant.

When I had the engraving polished off, I removed the masking tape from the cylinder and diligently polished the upper end of the cylinder over top of the bolt recesses just enough to ensure a feathered in look. For a final finish, I omitted the file and held the 600 against the cylinder with finger pressure working it up and down against the whole length. It worked out very well and with the naked eye, you can never tell that the cylinder ever got touched nor ever had any engraving. It looks like it came plain from the factory and is very clean and consistent from the face to the butt end. I was plumb tickled with the end result :)

Fortunately, the engraving was not too deep, so it was a fairly quick process. Yah, I was a bit nervous when I first started, but once I got going on the process, I soon realized that it was gonna be straight forward deal of using hand/eye coordination. It worked out slick given that I did not use a lathe. Guess that is what you make due with when you are a simple Idaho hill boy. I would do another with this method at the drop of a hat. It is really did not take long to do and took less time to complete than it took to come up with the idea.

All the rest of the polishing on the barrel, frame, and the ratchet end of the cylinder was done by hand with progressive grits of emery paper wrapped around assorted files and flats of wood. There is not a factory tool mark left on the entire exterior of the revolver sans the grip which I did not touch. I like to tinker on guns as it passes the long winter evenings.

I am humbled by everyones compliments. They mean a lot and I do not take them lightly.

THANK YOU

P.S. My pics seem blurry now. They did not look this way when I first posted them. Are they blurry for you guys?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 11:32:33 PM by scobrien »

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 12:00:25 AM »
Scobrien, Very nice work.  (T^
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Smokin_Gun

• Forum Legend
  • "American by Birth, CSA by Choice"
    • SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 12:10:28 AM »
That's  real good lookin' S&G ... nicely done ... pics aren't blurry from here ... R U Drinkin' Bourbon?  ])M or maybe it's me  ;)
Served with the 43rd Virginia Cav Mosby's Rangers...
I favor an 1858 Remington .44 Revolver ... and I Smoke Black Powder

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php

Offline scobrien

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 12:24:42 AM »
Thanks Sam. I went to shoot the damn thing today and oops, I have no .380 ball on hand. Will run up soon and get a couple of pockets full from the buddy that gave me the pistol and then get a mould on order. So Instead, I put 70 rounds through the Griswold & Gunnison. Since it was my birthday, I played hooky from work and stayed home and played.

I am a derelict