Author Topic: Pics of the Griswold & Gunnison  (Read 5107 times)

Offline scobrien

Pics of the Griswold & Gunnison
« on: December 18, 2011, 07:43:11 PM »
Cleaned up the the left over tooling marks in the brass, removed the stamping on the right side of the frame, and took the creep out of the trigger a few days ago. Finally got out and de-virginized it today. Hits 5 inches high at 15 yards but is good to go for windage. While I had it apart for clean up, I deepend the hammer notch to bring POA down some. She works smooth and is a pleasure to shoot. For a load, I opted for 25 gr. of 2F to fill more space in the chambers so the ball would not be seated real deep. Used a felt wad under a .375 cast ball. A perfect ring is shaved off the ball every time. Makes for a nice mild load. Glad I finally got me a brasser.

She is fully loaded and ready for the first firing.

I really like the profile of the round barrel an the smaller frame.

The wedge came out easily right from the box.

A view of her after 24 rounds. I am gonna like the way that the brass will patina up.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: Pics of the Griswold & Gunnison
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 07:46:42 PM »
Check your recoil shield for the cylinder ratchet imprinting on it. 25 grains is too much for a brass frame .36
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline scobrien

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 08:57:47 PM »
Thanks Hawg for the heads up. I was concerned with just that very issue. I saw a few pics if the indents on a couple of brassers posted on this forum. That is why I opted to go with 2F insted of 3F. I checked the recoil shield after cleaning it up, and there is not a single mark. I can still see 100% of the tooling rings left behind from the cutter bit. Course, that was after only 24 rounds.

I can see very, very slight indents on the S & G brasser that I picked up last night. But they are not from the ratchet, rather they are from the cylinder area just beyond/outside the diameter of the ratchet ring. They are on the extruded ring that helps to form the recess grove that the ratchet rides in.

I will drop the charge down to 20 gr. of 2F on your advise and just seat the balls deeper.

Thanks

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 08:59:48 PM »
I agree with Hawg on this one. Brasser .36's should be fed 15-18gr 3f with a max load of 20. You will pound imprints into the ring on the recoil shield from the cylinder ratchet teeth, and shoot the arbor loose.
Sure is a pretty little gun, though!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline scobrien

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 09:10:51 PM »
So do you guys use filler to bring the ball out farther? 

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 09:34:00 PM »
No. I generally load 15 grains and no filler. I'm not much of a target cutter; I'd rather ring the gongs or watch pop cans fly. And if I can hit them without filler, it's all good!

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 09:39:37 PM »
No. I generally load 15 grains and no filler. I'm not much of a target cutter; I'd rather ring the gongs or watch pop cans fly. And if I can hit them without filler, it's all good!

+1
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline scobrien

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 09:58:55 PM »
I understand the way that both of you aproach your shooting. I am more into shooting gongs, cans, rocks, and sticks myself so I wont give the deeper seating another thought. I also just checked the volume on the spout that I was using on my flask today. It throws 22 grs, rather that the 25 that I said it did. I also dug out my 15 gr. spout and loaded a chamber with that charge. I suspected that the rammer was too short to fully seat the wad and ball on top of the powder, but I had about 1/4 inch of play to spare. So from here on out, 15 gr. is what the G & G will get.

Thanks again guys for your input and advise.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 10:03:38 PM »
I might add here, SC, that I use wads over the powder, which takes up some space.

Offline scobrien

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 10:07:25 PM »
I had read in the past that you used them and I do as well.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 10:11:13 PM »
If you're not looking for hair-splitting accuracy, you should do fine with the reduced load and no filler.
The whole filler thing was developed by target shooters who feel that they get the best consistency by bringing the ball right up to the forcing cone while using reduced charges.
I've never had an issue with it.

Offline scobrien

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 10:36:34 PM »
I had read years back that that was the way to load them for best accuracy. In my case, I never had the desire to shoot a reduced load, so I have always just used the three spouts that I have on hand according to what pistol I was shooting. As a result, the balls always ended up close to the mouth of the chamber. I was not really thinking about the best accuracy. The exception was with my Walkers, because I have shot as low as 40ish gr. out of them. I use the 15 gr. spout for my police, '62 pocket of navy caliber, and Paterson. Glad to find out that it will also work for my two brassers.

Offline Kelly Reb

• Banned
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 11:11:22 PM »
Very beautiful revolver Scobrien  ;) Very very very nice pictures  :

My two cents worth one  )L$
Even the brass 58 Remingtons and the Spiller and Burr brassy shouldn't be considered for power-house loads . The Spiller is probably the toughest of all those designs , its thick framed for a .36 and it can take a beating unlike open top designs , or even the brass framed 58's , yet still falls under being a Moderate Charge revolver . I have shot the livin heck out of the Spiller with decent charges and it shows ZERO sign of pounding . I have shot the arbor out of a 51 Colt Repro nickel plated brass frame .44 before I knew enough about them with 22 grain loads , they just can't take it  :) Enjoy your gun , like I said before , REAL NICE lookin revolver .

Dang my hands are big , looks like a Derringer ?

Kelly Reb  {?(

Offline Fingers McGee

• Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 09:44:13 AM »
Lookin good Scobrien  (T^  I was never much for brassers - especially the non-authentic Remington and .44 cal Colt ones - but, if your gonna have a collection of Confederate revolvers, ya gotta have at least 3.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 10:35:13 AM by Fingers McGee »
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS 28564-LTG-Regulator, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Founding member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters.  Member:  The Ozarks Posse, Southern Missouri Rangers, Moniteau Creek River Raiders, Butterfield Trail Cowboys.

Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce