Author Topic: Griswold & Gunison heading my way  (Read 4665 times)

Offline scobrien

Re: Griswold & Gunison heading my way
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 09:12:51 PM »
I am now part of the brasser group as this is my first one. The G&G showed up a day earlier than expected. Overall, I am well pleased with this one. I have owned 4 Pietta's in the past and all of them went down the road. Had two remmys, an 1860, and an 1861. I gave them all away to friends cuz I was not pleased with the quality. I now have the 1861 back now cuz the friend I gave it to returned it in a trade along with another gun in the swap. It is the same one that I posted in the Colt board a few weeks ago. After a lot of cosmetic and mechanical work, it has turned out to be a fully serviceable pistol and shoots very well.

I was hesitant to ever order another Pietta but wanted a G&G so I went ahead with the order. I have also been reading on the web that Pietta has improved their quality. Well I can say that they definitely have. This gun has no issues except for creep in the trigger which will be an easy fix. The brass is nicely finished. The iron is crisp and clean. Timing is spot on. Metal to metal fit is crisp. Hand & spring, cylinder bolt and all screws are well made. It really is good to go as is.

One thing Pietta could do is flush the metal fines away from the milling process. Man I cleaned a lot of metal shavings out of the internals and screw holes. My only other issue is the stamping on the Barrel. "BLACK POWDER ONLY 36 CAL" bugs the hell out of me. I could tolerate the name and made in Italy on the other side if it were not for the black powder warning. I understand legalities and all, but Uberti does not put the warning on theirs. If Pietta put their name under the load lever, they would have a clean looking product.

I am in the process of defarbing the frame tonight to remove the proof marks. I am pretty sure that the stamping on the barrel is going to go as well before too long. Gonna leave the case coloring on the load lever and hammer after my research efforts and confirmation from Fingers. I will re- blue the barrel after I defarb it.

I will get a couple of pics taken this weekend and post them up as well as run some rounds through it. I am tickled to finally have a brasser and it makes a nice addition to my group of percussion revolvers.

Offline Bill

• Aurora Ouisconsin Outdoor Club
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 05:36:02 PM »
I heard they charged exorbitant prices (40 bucks, Colts were about 14). I also heard that sometimes they cast the things, not to mention an excess of copper in the brass. They rusted faster that way. ])M

100%NRA

Offline scobrien

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2011, 09:07:33 PM »
Ya Bill, I recall recently reading that they were getting $40 for the CSA contract price!!!!

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2011, 10:19:58 PM »
Well happy birthday Scobrion. Glad you got you something nice for for your b-day. Hope you have world of fun with it. Pietta has really come a long way. I would rather stay with them cause of it.   ;) 
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline scobrien

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2011, 10:37:30 PM »
Thanks there Delbert!!!!!!! Pietta has in fact come a long way and I appreciate an outfit that strives to make improvements. Getting better from day one is a major factor that creates loyal customers. Then there are those that do just the opposite and go down hill in quality from their earlier products. I will pop a few rounds off this weekend in your honor.

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2011, 11:27:03 PM »
Thank you scobrien. Don't be supprized if it shoots high. I'll wait and let you tell me how high.  ;)  Oh I love the history on these revolvers and rifles. I hate to see it disappear. A lot of the young folks today wouldn't know what to do with one or who Sam Colt was or the Remington brothers. At the sme time I don't want to sell them short either. Kids are smart so I'll leave it at that plus there are some that have dads and moms that teach them what to do. I don't think we have any weman around here but I'm sure we have some of the fellas on this foruum that teach thair family members how it works.  :)
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.