Photobucket

Author Topic: Forster Tap-O-Cap  (Read 32761 times)

Offline ofitg

• Forum Legend
Re: Forster Tap-O-Cap
« Reply #135 on: November 25, 2013, 08:41:05 PM »
The only way to make home-made caps work is with an explosive that is both sensative to the heat generated by a blow. These just are not obtainable any more.

Johnnie, primer compositions based on potassium chlorate work just fine. In fact, potassium chlorate was the key ingredient when percussion caps were first developed about 200 years ago. My favorite KClO3 recipe is the same mixture that the U.S. Army used for priming .30-40 Krag cartridges. KClO3 compositions leave corrosive residue, but that's somewhat irrelevant if you're shooting blackpowder.

By the way, PETN stands for Pentaerythrite tetranitrate.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #136 on: April 16, 2015, 11:06:23 AM »
BTT
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline CascadianCool

« Reply #137 on: April 18, 2015, 09:46:09 PM »
During the cap shortage there were a couple folks who started making cap dies. Here is one I bookmarked so could easily find.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?244276-Cap-makers-now-ready-for-sale

Videos from this maker

« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 09:58:31 PM by CascadianCool »
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #138 on: April 19, 2015, 06:01:45 AM »
2 great videos there CascadianCool.  {?|

Thanks for posting these up.  ;)
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline celem

« Reply #139 on: April 19, 2015, 09:24:13 AM »
"During the cap shortage" I must have missed its end. I can occasionally find Remington 11s, less often Remington 10s but NEVER what I need for Pietta, CCI 10.

Online jdurand

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Mostly Harmless
    • Company web site
« Reply #140 on: April 19, 2015, 08:58:26 PM »
When I have some spare time I need to make a #10 cap maker.  Got the materials here but up to top of head in work.
Standing on the edge of reality... (me)
Quando omni flunkus moritati (Red Green)
Let no man belong to another that can belong to himself. (Paracelsus)
All things are poison and nothing is without poison; only the dose makes a thing not a poison. (Paracelsus)
NRA Life Member, Gun Owners of California member

Online jdurand

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Mostly Harmless
    • Company web site
« Reply #141 on: June 29, 2015, 01:50:13 PM »
I can't find the thread where we were recently discussing this, but I just received the capper from Manny.  It looks good, he hardened the teeth so it should have good life.  Haven't got an empty can to try it on...yet.

All things are poison and nothing is without poison; only the dose makes a thing not a poison. (Paracelsus)

Online jdurand

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Mostly Harmless
    • Company web site
« Reply #142 on: June 29, 2015, 02:48:47 PM »
I checked if it was ok to list Many's contact info here, he said sure.  So, anyone interested in one-o-these can e-mail him here:

mohave76@att.net

Online jdurand

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Mostly Harmless
    • Company web site
« Reply #143 on: June 29, 2015, 03:12:06 PM »
I just acquired an empty beer can and tried the cap maker.  Works fine, either using multiple taps from a 1/2 pound dead blow hammer or even better with an arbor press.

I put them on stock Pietta nipples, turned the cylinder over and hit it against my hand.  They didn't budge so good fit.  Of course I haven't put any mixture in these yet, but if they fit I can make them go bang.

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
« Reply #144 on: June 29, 2015, 10:30:12 PM »
Good info.
Thank you.
I see he is also developing a musket cap version as well.
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline Prospector

« Reply #145 on: August 08, 2015, 02:49:56 PM »
jdurand,
Keep us posted on how they work for you.  What are you using for priming compound, and how much?  It sounds like you are not using the toy roll caps, like manyca used.   By the way, thanks for posting his email address.  The email address Mazo posted for him on the other thread is incorrect.  He left off one t of att.

Online jdurand

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Mostly Harmless
    • Company web site
« Reply #146 on: August 08, 2015, 03:31:45 PM »
Haven't been to the manufacturing site to try it, but am planning on "30-40 Krag primer (H-48)".  It's corrosive but so is the powder so no big deal there.

Have to figure a good way to measure it into the cap and add the binder.  I have both shellac flakes and red gum powder available.  I was thinking of things like diaper-mix the main ingredients and add to cap, then add glass powder on top with a drip of binder to hold it. I hesitate to use a paper wad behind it, worried about fibers clogging the nipple.  Could use flash paper, but now adding more energetic material to the mix...never a good idea.

Suggestions welcome.

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #147 on: August 08, 2015, 09:57:36 PM »
From what I understand, the glass should be mixed in with the primer compound.  You want the glass to be as hot as possible, because glass does not cool down as much as gas/flame while travelling to the powder.  Maybe that mix is just the commercial way to do it to save assembly steps?  Don't use too much top binder - leave room for the nipples to seat.  Shellac seems to be the binder of choice, it lasting for a very long time without separating from the cap walls.  Shellac seems to be a bit less brittle over time, compared to varnish.  True shellac comes from a bug and is an animal protein, varnish comes from plants and is a vegetable protein.  Too much information?

Online jdurand

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Mostly Harmless
    • Company web site
« Reply #148 on: August 08, 2015, 10:15:13 PM »
Premix seems fine, I was just thinking of being able to measure it out with as little sharp stuff as possible.  Need a really really tiny spoon.  :)

For those who don't know, red gum is a binder that comes from a tree.  I think it only grows in New Zealand or something like that.

I would put the binder on with a 1cc syringe, get really small drops from that.

i have a milligram scale but still have to figure how to carefully dispense the powder without setting it off.  Probably tapped out of the V in folded paper.  Only load a little at a time into the paper and keep the main batch well away.

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #149 on: August 08, 2015, 10:28:55 PM »
Sounds like you are trying to pour in dry primer, then dry glass.
Consider instead: make silly string out of the primer/glass/binder, and while still "wet", use a razor to cut little #10-type circlettes, place those in the cup, and they will tend to stay in place.  Top off with red gum or shellac or other fast-drying water-resistant sealant.

This is why two pre-made cap-gun caps are the preferred source of ignition.  Much simpler.  Not necessarily better, but definitely simpler.