Photobucket

Author Topic: Forster Tap-O-Cap  (Read 30857 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
Forster Tap-O-Cap
« on: June 28, 2011, 11:33:07 PM »
OK...this comes up on every black powder forum I've ever been on. Is there a way to make your own caps?
In a word....yes. And no.
What? Well what I mean is, yes...there IS a way. You can make caps from old aluminum beverage cans and childrens' roll caps. And, no, you probably won't want to.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=842064

First off, you can see, it has recently been discontinued. There is a reason for this. The childrens' caps you buy today; Made in China,  (unlike the Kilgore caps of my youth) don't work well at all with this (no fault of the Tap-O-Cap's) They suck, in a nutshell. Second, they are corrosive from most accounts I've read. Much more so than modern store-bought percussion caps.

This being said, I'm sure there are still Tap-O-Caps out there for the picking, both in warehouses and unused on peoples' workbenches. But if you are considering buying one for that big Apocalyptic BeBop coming, why not instead just buy a shitload of percussion caps and store them in waterproof containers?

Like I said...yes. And no. And that's the final word. (?L
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 09:57:38 PM by Captainkirk »
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
Re: Forster Tap-O-Cap
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 10:13:53 AM »
I agree with you on the caps. I have tried the kids caps and these caps are very weak. Just not worth it to me.
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 10:02:50 PM »
Sam, that's because they are now all made in China. The caps of my youth were much, much hotter (and non-corrosive, from what I've heard) Not so with the Chinese crap.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 10:50:39 PM »
Now, there are the strike any where matches. The ones that have that white tip on the red. I heard you can get that white off and use that as a primer. Something to look into to.

On a note, the strike any where matches...seems they are hard to find.

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 02:38:53 AM »
phosporus i think and it IS getting hard to find strike anywhere! i use a stove out on the back porch to do summer cookin when it starts to heat up the house too much,and to conserve propane i shut the pilot lights of, so i keep kitchen matches back there and prefer the strike anywhere! but can only find them rarely! i guess were in the age where if something works real good, its done away with! (?^
if yall get this way,drop on by!

chuckr1952

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 06:04:50 AM »
        most young people dont even understand how matches work, matches are not an everyday item nowdays,

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 10:04:49 AM »
chuckr1952, Heh! This reminds me...about a few months ago I was in wal-mart. I ask a young guy where are the matches? He said "You mean watches?" No, matches I said. He didn't even know what matches were. Older guy worker there said "The matches are right here." Heh!

chuckr1952

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 08:36:01 PM »
       I dont have any problem beliving at all, I find myself geting frustrated with young people all the time over simple stupid things, I'm scared about how much they dont know or understand, just everyday common sense things, I blame their parents.

Offline Gatofeo

• A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 11:34:07 AM »
Here in Utah, I can still find strike-anywhere matches by Diamond. I bought three boxes (750 total) about a year ago in a grocery store. They're still sealed in their plastic wrapping.
Of some concern is a notice on the box, "New Look! - Same Great Product!"
I just hope they still work as well as the old strike-anywhere matches I grew up with.
As a kid, I learned to strike such matches on my trouser zipper, if I couldn't find any other dry, rough surface. I wonder how many kids today would think to do that in an emergency?
I grew up with strike-anywhere matches: camping with the family, starting a fire in the Franklin Stove to heat the house, spending summers at the cabin in Canada that had a combination wood and propane-burning stove.
Today, I carry a small butane lighter in my pocket, though I don't smoke, because I believe in being prepared.
The ability to produce a flame for warmth, signalling, light or as a weapon can save your life, and the lives of others. People have died for the lack of a book of matches, or a 39-cent butane lighter.
Life is cheap. Saving it can be cheap too.
"And therein did I see a vast desert. Flying lead. Holes in parchment. Smoke. Brimstone. The old cat is much amused."
-- The Quantrains of Gatodamus (1506-1566)

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 02:52:33 PM »
ditto ugly cat! i hear ya! i have found some strike anywheres around these days but they are NOT as good as the ones we grew up with! they fizzle and go out sometimes, or more likely just self destruct when ya put a little pressure on them  i would never try to strike them like we used to do on your thumbnail anymore! i have a pile of butane lighters stashed up and some zippos with fluid and flint!

Offline Geraldo

• Lead singer and driver of the Winnebago
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 06:55:35 PM »
But if you are considering buying one for that big Apocalyptic BeBop coming, why not instead just buy a shitload of percussion caps and store them in waterproof containers?

most young people dont even understand how matches work, matches are not an everyday item nowdays,

OK, let's look at these two statements.  First, Cap has a good point, why not buy more caps?  Second, chuckr1952 points out why you won't have to.  In a world where people can't figure out how to light a match, you will automatically be king and can have whatever you want.

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 06:57:51 PM »
jerry ya got a strange sense of humor! fits in around here rather well dosent it! (?^

Offline Geraldo

• Lead singer and driver of the Winnebago
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2011, 09:00:06 AM »
jerry ya got a strange sense of humor! fits in around here rather well dosent it! (?^

ET, I know my sense of humor is, shall we say, different, but these match stories just freak me out.  It's not rocket science, it's a small stick with flammable shit on the end of it.  How hard is that?  It's like evolution in reverse.  Man discovers fire, civilization is built, man invents the match which you get for free in small books (the dream of his ancient ancestor), man then forgets how the match works, civilization crumbles.  ???

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2011, 09:42:48 AM »
 (?^ yea wlk in any convience store and ask the for some "gopher matches" and watch the look in their eyes!  and who would remember how to split them and make two matches out of one? well maybe an old time jailbird that can remember when you used to could smoke in jail or anywhere else for that matter ;)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 09:46:15 AM by east texas »

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2011, 09:57:29 AM »
Some of them jailbirds are pretty smart at making stuff.  ;)