Author Topic: Todays find, a North n South pair o Colts!!  (Read 2555 times)

Offline Cult

• All for correct sized nipples and lubricated wads
Todays find, a North n South pair o Colts!!
« on: November 09, 2011, 11:02:21 PM »
Went and did the rounds of the pawn stores today, coz I just know that there has to be an original Remington, or Lancaster out there just waiting for me to go and rescue it.

After the first few, with nothing to report other than the standard rusted / abused / altered / shout out / etc specimens that just came out of the local barn, I found myself a new store.

This place is about as homely as you can get.  The sign outside says "Antiques, Ideas and Misc Crap" and it is located way off the main road, in an old barn. The only reason I found it is by searching my cellphone for local pawn and antique stores.

Walking through the cutout door you are immediately met with a very large Stars n Bars and a rather rude woodcut proclaiming that "Alabama has the largest".  From then on it got fun.  Although I have to admit that I had no idea as to what most of the farm machinery was, I was drawn to a glass gun cabinet and got talking to the guys behind the counter.  There names were Hick and Dill (I think that's what it sounded like) and I would put heavy money on that someone rather close up that family tree was a moonshiner or equiv.  These two acted as twins, for what i know they may have been, but they had this weird way of finishing each others sentences.  After looking at a few nice older Milsurp's, I asked if they ever got in any black powder stuff.  The one I think was Dill said that yes he did, and that he had a couple of revolvers and a shotgun.  I looked at the shotgun whilst they got the revolvers.  It was probably a really nice percussion SxS at one point, the metal had corroded through a couple of points on the barrel walls and the mechanics were in need of a 6 months bath in ATF fluid to free it so it could open.  A waste of a nice old gun.  Only thing that I could make out was Purdey Proof London, so I guess it was an old Brit bird gun. 
Anyhow, enough on that wreck. Dill came back with these two and explained that he wanted $125 for the brass one, and $75 for the steel framed one, then told me that the reason was that he just couldnt get the steel one to cock or get the cylinder to move.  When he unwrapped them and showed me, well.. I wasnt really interested in the Steel frame one until i bought BOTH just to get them outside.  I completely forgot to haggle and offered him $200 on the spot.  Thats going to make next time I go in there interesting..

The Steel one shows "SM Black Powder Only, Cal .36, Made in Italy" under the barrel, with the rest of the proofs and the date just in front of the trigger guard, all nice and unobtrusive.  There is no makers mark on this one, although the SM may suggest ASM.  I started to pull it apart for a quick look over, and two flat caps fell out of the works. From then on, no problem with the trigger or the cylinder!!  Overall, this one looks nice and clean, look forward to trying it out. BH dated (1996)

The Brasser is the interesting one.  When I was at the store I was just thinking "BLANK CYLINDER" whilst I paid and left.  When I got it home and laid it next to my other brassers, i noticed that this one looks different in a few ways. 
Firstly is the color of the brass.  This one is almost gold and has a nice rose pink tone to it when it catches the light.  It looks much deeper than the other brass frames and packs up the color of the blueing. 
Second, there are very few marks showing on this.  7oclock octagon (from rear) flat has "BLACK POWDER ONLY - .36 CAL - MADE IN ITALY", the only other markings are found on the frame when you take the trigger guard off.  These are very small dap and XIX.  There are NO proof marks anywhere.
Third, the cut out for the ball / loading port is a much different shape than any of the replicas that i have, can anyone id this?
So.. the brasser may well have been defarbed, but its a nice S&G.  The barrel and the cylinder look pristine, the frame looks 'unpolished'

and here hanging with there new friends

Its better collecting Cap n Ball than Milsurp. Although the M1941 Johnson MG is a nice piece of equipment, I would rather get a reputation for sitting around playing with my Remingtons.

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
Re: Todays find, a North n South pair o Colts!!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 11:20:06 PM »
I've seen the "SM" mark on some of the older ASM's. I'm almost 100% certain that's what that one is.
The brass looks like there is a high copper content in the alloy; which should become more apparent as (if) you clean it up.
I have and older EIG Baby Dragoon with no proof marks as well, so it's not unheard of. It may have been defarbed as well.
At any rate, nice catch!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Cult

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 11:34:45 PM »
I may just have to clean it and find out.  I have some old horse brass that cleans up almost pink.  If this one does, well, a pink colt??
Its better collecting Cap n Ball than Milsurp. Although the M1941 Johnson MG is a nice piece of equipment, I would rather get a reputation for sitting around playing with my Remingtons.

bjmac

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 11:35:12 PM »
Now ifin yur lookin ta get rid of the crappy steel .36.... {+*

Offline Cult

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 01:26:52 PM »
Nah.. that crappy steelie is the only one in the bunch.

Hmm... dap? Pedersoli?  I didnt know Pedersoli made 1851's, and XIX would be 1963 if it is the date code.

Offline Kelly Reb

• Banned
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 07:33:53 PM »
Nah.. that crappy steelie is the only one in the bunch.

Hmm... dap? Pedersoli?  I didnt know Pedersoli made 1851's, and XIX would be 1963 if it is the date code.

They make Match Grade 58 Remingtons too .  ;)

Kelly Reb  {?(