Author Topic: Community Holster Project  (Read 46083 times)

Offline rdstrain49

Community Holster Project
« on: November 03, 2011, 10:39:03 AM »
Some of you wanted to see how I make holsters.  The votes are in.  You have decided that you want to build a Slim Jim holster for a Remington Army.  I will be starting this project this afternoon and will try to keep up with pictures as the project progresses.

Be sure to ask any questions that you might have, I may not have the right answer, but I'll have some kind of an answer.
"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."
Norman Schwartzkopf

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
Re: Community Holster Project
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 10:40:47 AM »
rd, Great!  ;)
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline rdstrain49

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 04:15:00 PM »
Any idea what is wrong?  I just spent an hour doing the first part of the project, posted it and nothing appeared. ??????????
"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."
Norman Schwartzkopf

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 04:32:51 PM »
Check your settings. Some of these forums' software has a time setting ("Keep me logged in for XX minutes") that you should set for unlimited, otherwise when typing longer articles, you may "time out" by the time you click POST.
I will usually start a technical post, then POST it, and then go back and modify it. That way the original post gets saved.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline rdstrain49

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 04:40:29 PM »
OK here we go.  Using heavy paper, lay out a center line, place the gun sights down on the center line, roll the gun onto it’s side and trace the bottom profile onto the paper.  Leave about 3/4” extra between the gun and the line you are drawing.  A compass makes this much easier.
Norman Schwartzkopf

Offline rdstrain49

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 04:41:03 PM »
Norman Schwartzkopf

Offline rdstrain49

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 04:42:09 PM »
I use a French Curve to finish the outline.  I like the gentle curves rather than the exact outline of the gun.
Norman Schwartzkopf

Offline rdstrain49

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 04:42:49 PM »
Cut out the half pattern, fold it on the center line, trace around the finished half, then cut out the remaining half and you have your rough pattern finished.
Norman Schwartzkopf

Offline rdstrain49

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 04:46:05 PM »
Test fit the pattern to the gun, make any adjustments to the pattern at this time.

Be sure to mark the top or finished side of the pattern.  If you don’t it’s only a matter of time before you make a left hand holster when you were trying to make a right hand holster.  Don’t ask how I know.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 04:48:17 PM by rdstrain49 »
Norman Schwartzkopf

Offline rdstrain49

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 04:49:09 PM »
Trace the pattern onto your leather.  Pencil is probably best, but since I can’t see the pencil lines, I use a pen.  If you use a pen, be careful not to get any ink smudges on the leather.

Norman Schwartzkopf

Offline rdstrain49

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 04:51:36 PM »
Next, leaving quite a bit of room, I cut around the outlined holster blank.  This leaves me with a much smaller and more manageable piece of leather to work with.
Norman Schwartzkopf

Offline rdstrain49

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 04:53:18 PM »
Be advised, a dull knife will hurt you.  Keep all of your cutting instruments very sharp.
Norman Schwartzkopf

Offline rdstrain49

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 04:55:23 PM »
Now we’re ready to cut. 
Norman Schwartzkopf

Offline rdstrain49

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 04:57:52 PM »
You can see a S shaped piece that I already cut out.  This will be sewn into the edge of the holster.  This plug or spine will add rigidity to the finished holster.  Using whatever knife you chose, cut out the holster blank.
Norman Schwartzkopf

Offline rdstrain49

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 05:05:57 PM »
Thanks Cpt. don't know if I understand, but I'll give it a try.
Thanks again.
Norman Schwartzkopf