Author Topic: Whitney Navy  (Read 10101 times)

Offline Berkley

• International Kukri Research & Historical Society
Whitney Navy
« on: October 09, 2011, 08:00:10 PM »
Was just browsin' around the forum, and found an entire section devoted to Whitney revolvers.... with no posts! ^y%

So, I figgered to put up any old pic as a place holder until somebody has somethin' important to say on the subject. :P

WHITNEY NAVY 2ND MODEL 4TH TYPE PERCUSSION REVOLVER.  Cal. 36. Blue finish with 7-1/2" octagonal barrel, 6-shot cylinder with six safety notches and eagle, lion, shield, & sailing ship cylinder roll marking. Brass trigger guard and 2-piece smooth walnut grips. Only about 33,000 of these revolvers were produced, in two models and ten distinctive types, in the period of the late 1850s into the early 1860s. Most saw hard service throughout the Civil War and later on the frontier.

Offline MuzzleMarc

• Oh-fishul Hot Dog Griller and Peanut Salesman
  • Forum Legend
  • That's a really nice weapon
Re: Whitney Navy
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 09:11:42 PM »
Thx Berkley for the information.
We'll see who's posting something.

MuzzleMarc
I was always wondering. Do people in China have things "Made In USA ?"

Offline Pustic

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Proud American Hillbilly Infidel
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 04:21:17 PM »

Whitney .36 Caliber Navy Percussion Revolver with 7 1/2" barrel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Made from the late 1850's to early 1860's. A great many of these saw service in the Civil War with both the Union and Confederacy.  This one is a 2nd Model, 3rd type with the Colt style loading lever instead of the earlier ball/plunger type lever...which is interesting as according to Flayderman's, its in the 2nd type serial range and should have the earlier lever. However, this wouldn't be the first time we've encountered a Whitney Navy with a serial number that has features outside of a range designated by collectors.  Such is the case with this one.  Serial number is in the 6,000 range and everything is 100% matching which includes the cylinder, barrel, frame, trigger guard, loading lever, cylinder pin, and both grips.  Cylinder still shows some areas of original scene...which was extraordinarily lightly rolled. Back of cylinder has the cut-out cylinder stops.  Top of barrel is marked E. Whitney <over> New Haven. 

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A0PDoX9aYJNOOgwALg.JzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBlMTQ4cGxyBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1n?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3DWhitney%2BNavy%26fr2%3Dpiv-web%26b%3D1%26tab%3Dorganic&w=1000&h=667&imgurl=www.antiquearmsinc.com%2Fimages%2Fwhitney-navy-percussion-revolver-2%2Fwhitney-navy-percussion-revolver-2%2520%2810%29.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.antiquearmsinc.com%2Fwhitney-navy-percussion-revolver-2.htm&size=142.9+KB&name=Antique+Arms%2C+Inc.+-+Whitney+.36+Caliber+Navy+Percussion+Revolver+with+...&p=Whitney+Navy&oid=1f313f050a28b4d7b8ea3c7d779ea16b&fr2=piv-web&fr=&tt=Antique+Arms%2C+Inc.+-+Whitney+.36+Caliber+Navy+Percussion+Revolver+with+...&b=0&ni=56&no=1&tab=organic&sigr=1249nql9q&sigb=12nm36mti&sigi=13e93igst&.crumb=7XJCCudRkwg

{?( Be ye not afraid of the truth, for the "Truth Has No Agenda".  :9)
"If they come to take, they also come to die." Pustic 3:16

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Offline Lizardo

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 10:32:14 PM »
I remember for years Dixie offered a Whitney kit as well as the Spiller and Burr. Always said I was gonna get one...
Weebles wobble but they won't fall down...

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 11:09:47 PM »
I find it difficult to believe Rock doesn't have one of these. Rock? {+*
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Battis

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 05:38:38 PM »
Here's a pic of my original Whitney .36 with a Spiller & Burr repro.  I shoot it once a year.
Also, a pic of the two cylinders for comparison (Whitney on right).

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 08:03:54 PM »
Hey, Battis...welcome to the nut house! Hike yourself over to the Welcome Wagon and introduce yourself to the boys!

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 09:37:56 PM »
Nice CK. You go asking for stuff and puff it appears. Nice job.  :)
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline LtDan

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 08:31:29 PM »
Hello all,
I'm new to this forum.  Just doing searches for Whitney revolvers and found a link to this site.  I've been researching Whitney Navy revolvers since 2009, and am working on a reference book for these unique revolvers.  Perhaps I can find more information through this forum. 
Berkley......I'd be interested in the serial # of your revolver and the letters found with those numbers if you would like to share.
Pustic.......You are certainly correct that the "type" characteristics do not always match the serial number ranges currently published for each "type".   For example, the "colt-style" lever and catch you pictured marks the beginning of the Second Model, "3rd Type".  After recording over 300 revolvers in our database, I can say that the 3rd Type began around serial # 6000. 

My interest in the Models & Types by serial # ranges was the original reason I began this research project, which has developed into a research book.  I have developed a real interest in these revolvers, and would appreciate any help I could find through this forum
Thanks........ :)
Dan
www.whitneyrevolver.com

Offline Berkley

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 08:53:33 PM »
Dan,
 (D@ and best wishes on your book. The revolver I posted to open this thread is unfortunately not mine, but one of several shown in James Julia's auction archives, a useful online resource for top quality antique arms. LINK
The description on that one says
FINE WHITNEY NAVY 2ND MODEL 4TH TYPE PERCUSSION REVOLVER. SN 15904g. Cal. 36. Blue finish with 7-1/2" oct bbl, 6-shot cyl with six safety notches an eagle, lion, shield, & sailing ship cyl roll marking. It has brass trigger guard and 2-pc smooth walnut grips numbered to this revolver. This revolver was apparently issued to a New Jersey militia unit as indicated by the "N.J" on left bbl flat at the frame. While this revolver was apparently well cared for it undoubtedly was issued to a New Jersey combat unit during the Civil War.

Offline LtDan

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 11:41:42 AM »
Thank you.  I hope the book will be published in 2012.
I appreciate the information.  I have used James Julia's Auction Archives and have several photographs in my book that were supplied by them.  After checking that serial number....that revolver is already in our database. 
Thanks again,  Dan

Offline dakotamar

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 07:22:14 PM »
Here is a picture of my Whitney.  It hasn't been shot yet, there is a ring of crud 1" from the end of the barrel which needs to be cleaned out.

how do you put a full picture on this forum?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 07:32:42 PM by dakotamar »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 09:33:05 PM »
Like this:
http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php?topic=274.0

And by the way, a warm welcome to 1858Remington.com!
We're glad you found us!
Stop by the Welcome Wagon and say hello!

(D@

Offline Berkley

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 06:58:32 AM »
Here is a picture of my Whitney.  It hasn't been shot yet, there is a ring of crud 1" from the end of the barrel which needs to be cleaned out.

Nice lookin' Whitney. (T^ Would love to hear more about it and see more pics if ya got 'em.