Author Topic: The Remington New Model Army in Films  (Read 25028 times)

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
Re: The Remington New Model Army in Films
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 08:53:19 AM »
Indian Outlaw, Those are great ones.  ;)
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

chuckr1952

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 04:27:54 PM »
                               I agree.

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 04:29:16 PM »
Speakin' of Indian Outlaw.....ET, go run that boy down. Find out where the hell he is.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

chuckr1952

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 04:31:02 PM »
                                  Looked like an up and comer till he disappered.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2011, 11:05:36 AM »
Don't have any screen captures; but, there were bunches of them used in The Horse Soldiers.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS 28564-LTG-Regulator, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Founding member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters.  Member:  The Ozarks Posse, Southern Missouri Rangers, Moniteau Creek River Raiders, Butterfield Trail Cowboys.

Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Berkley

• International Kukri Research & Historical Society
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2011, 11:29:53 PM »
Dustin Hoffman carries a '58 Remington in Little Big Man:

Offline Berkley

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2011, 11:35:23 PM »
A Yankee officer fires off his Remington on Little Round Top in Gettysburg:

bjmac

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2011, 11:59:42 PM »
how do you guys do this film capture stuff?

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2011, 12:03:21 AM »
Those are good, Berk! Thanks for posting!

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2011, 06:02:57 PM »
Ben and Hoss had them in the early days of Bonanza. Little Joe does a pretty good cartridge reload on a 51 Navy. Ben's may have been a 75 but Hoss's is a converted 58.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 06:03:41 PM by Hawg »
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2011, 10:09:54 PM »
Damn...good eye, Hawg!

Offline Berkley

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2011, 10:20:41 AM »
Well, Pilgrim, here's somethin' ya might not know. The Duke's very first Western movie six-gun was - a '58 Remington New Model Army!

The movie was "The Big Trail", made in 1930. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0020691/

John Wayne played a wagon train scout heading west from Missouri to Oregon. At the start of the talkies, it was the first widescreen western epic.
Wayne’s pay was raised to $75 a week for the film. The studio’s stuntmen coached him in horseback riding and the ways of a cowboy, Wayne’s acting skills seemed instinctive.
“He stepped down off his horse and gave me that lopsided grin which was to become one of his trademarks. How did I do, Mr. Walsh? He was confident in himself by this time and looked as if he knew the answer,” Walsh said.
In the end, “The Big Trail” was a flop and it wasn’t Wayne’s fault.
The Great Depression was nearing. As the first widescreen release, theatres were reluctant to change over. There were only two theatres in the country at the time equipped with larger screens.
After the film and probably because of it, Wayne was demoted to cheap serials and low-budget westerns. It would be another nine years before he got another real break in “Stagecoach.”

The gun is now in the NRA National Firearms Museum. http://www.nrapublications.org/index.php/9689/john-waynes-remington-revolver/
Remington New Army  revolver serial No. 17901 was used extensively by Wayne in "The Big Trail", his first starring western role. The revolver is nickeled, with a 7 1/2" bbl cartridge conversion model that has been sleeved for the use of .38 cal movie blanks. The barrel and grip backstrap are completely covered with diamond pattern file work and the frame bears the Stembridge Gun Rentals identifying seryphed "S" mark. The revolver, because of it's distinctive diamond pattern file work, is identified in freeze frame photos from various scenes in the movies. Additionally, this revolver is annotated in the 1982 Stembridge inventory along with verbal attributes to William S Hart's silent film days as well as a 1959 Paramount Pictures rental for use by Lorne Greene in the fifth episode of Bonanza.

])M
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 10:23:34 AM by Berkley »

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2011, 10:23:38 AM »
Boy! I would love to have a gun like that one.  {?|
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Sheriff Langston

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2011, 01:11:12 PM »
Not a movie I know but.

The TV series of "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" with Jeremy Brett in the Holmes roll.

Specifically the episode where the American Woman is marrying a British Ex Pat who returned to England & is forcing a fake marriage overseen by an unfrocked alcoholic priest. Holmes has an 8" '58 Remmy which threw mew for a loop until I reconciled the Victorian England of Holmes & Watson with the Americas of the times. Hardly the "Pocket pistol" described unless you had really big pockets though.
"In this world there's two kinds of people my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."
“Blondie”

Offline Berkley

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2011, 03:10:33 PM »
Holmes has an 8" '58 Remmy
There's a lot of gunplay with 3 different guns in that scene of "The Adventure of the Solitary Cyclist", so it's easy to get the guns mixed up. &j( Carruthers shoots the pretend groom Woodley with a Webley, the Reverend Williamson grabs the Remington he had concealed in his Bible during the mock wedding, but Holmes disarms Williamson with his own Webley and then points it at Carruthers.

Damn, that was hard enough to write out even after watching it on YouTube.  ^y%

No wonder you remembered Holmes with the Remington. ;)