Author Topic: Nice Schneider and Glassick copy... pretty and pic heavy  (Read 7124 times)

Offline Cult

• All for correct sized nipples and lubricated wads
Nice Schneider and Glassick copy... pretty and pic heavy
« on: October 05, 2011, 06:16:23 PM »
I CANT HELP IT... i may need some counseling before my wife completely castrates me.. yes, i got another, and yes its a Colt copy, but I think that I am in love with the 1851.
Dont get me wrong, the Remmie 1858/61/63 whatever is still my prime humpty dumpty but the 1851 is starting to show itself as a true filly of a mistress.  ^>>

When this one appeared on Gunbroker with a BIN of $275 I had to have it before anyone else saw it.  Yeah, its more than I have been paying for the other Colt copies, and its half of what i could get a REAL (signature series) Colt 1851 for offa GB, but there was just something about this that screamed BUY ME

When the mailman delivered it today and I ripped through the packaging like a kid at xmas and then it became apparent to me why i got that ITS MINE feeling.

The engraving is HAND DONE!  In the pictures I considered that it was probably roll engraved, but its real.  (can anyone give me a rough idea of how many $$$$$ that engraving would cost to do??)

Also, the hammer sight is square, as i have read the S&G's were, and it has a Colt style grip, with some modifications that actually make it feel nicer in the hand (didnt think that was possible)
Trigger is slimmer than the 1851, and has the front engraved to aid grip. Break is 2lb and crisp.  The only place that isnt engraved is the barrel wedge!~

EIG Navy, Gardone and PN proof.  Heel of grip shows Italy, EIG and GB or BG (maker)  Any idea of that last marking?

Edit -- From the Jim Davis article i just posted
EIG Cutlery was the first importer of a historically accurate Schneider & Glassick replica.  It was sold as an “1851 Navy with a brass frame”.  Saul Eig was the founder of this company, thus EIG as an importer name.  EIG Cutlery imported goods from several different countries and is best known for the knives they had produced.  The EIG revolvers bear a manufacturer’s logo that I have not been able to identify.  They also imported a nice, fully engraved model as well.

heres the pics, and some comparing it with my Sergio and Leone S&G

I think this new one is about as close as a person can get to a real one... grin

Now that i have photo'd it... where did i put that powder... oh thats right, tis by my feet....  M__

« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 07:25:01 PM by Cult »
Its better collecting Cap n Ball than Milsurp. Although the M1941 Johnson MG is a nice piece of equipment, I would rather get a reputation for sitting around playing with my Remingtons.

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
Re: Nice Schneider and Glassick copy... pretty and pic heavy
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 07:42:00 PM »
Very, very nice! How did I miss that one on Gun Broker?
You learn something every day; today I learned the S&G had a squared trigger notch. Thanks for posting this! Look forward to seeing more here under the S&G topic.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline MuzzleMarc

• Oh-fishul Hot Dog Griller and Peanut Salesman
  • Forum Legend
  • That's a really nice weapon
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 10:29:25 PM »
Really really nice, Cult.
Thank you for the nice pictures.

MuzzleMarc
I was always wondering. Do people in China have things "Made In USA ?"

Offline Cult

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 10:40:58 PM »
Very, very nice! How did I miss that one on Gun Broker?
You learn something every day; today I learned the S&G had a squared trigger notch. Thanks for posting this! Look forward to seeing more here under the S&G topic.

Be careful on the 'learnin', can do some serious harm ;)

Since you know that most of the 'facts' on S&G's are to be taken with the pinch of salt, we could be seeing anything turn up.  What was it? 3 originals, only 2 of the 3 actually matched each other? I suppose interchangeable parts wasn't that much of a worry for Messrs Schneider and Glassick.
Its better collecting Cap n Ball than Milsurp. Although the M1941 Johnson MG is a nice piece of equipment, I would rather get a reputation for sitting around playing with my Remingtons.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 11:15:55 PM »
Very nice Cult.  I'd add a green with envy smilie here; but I don't see one.  Very nice piece and a nice photo essay.  I'd say that much engraving could easily run $300 - $400 - but what do I know? 
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS 28564-LTG-Regulator, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Founding member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters.  Member:  The Ozarks Posse, Southern Missouri Rangers, Moniteau Creek River Raiders, Butterfield Trail Cowboys.

Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Cult

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 11:41:52 PM »
Thanks for the comments. I am getting a little too much into this "confederate {?( revolver" collecting.   As mentioned elsewhere by Dr Davis, there are an awful lot of 'accidental replicas' that came out of Italy, as well as a load of "Sergio and Leone's"

I found the date - XXIV so thats 1968 i believe!

Reason I asked about cost of engraving is, that if this shoots well, then I may just want a twin for it.

Whilst cleaning out the revolver, i found that the front site has been screwed in too far, and with too much force. There is a noticeable little bump just inside the business end, directly under the site post.  Hmm.. dunno how much this could affect safety.

Also, the cylinder is locking up just a few of thous too soon, and the right of the hammer is smacking the right of the nipple cutout. Does anyone know a fix for his? or is it down to the smith?

Offline Fingers McGee

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 02:00:26 PM »
Nothng wrong with 'Confederate' revolver collecting. 

You can use the tun up procedures for a Pietta that Pettifogger published.  The internal workings are the same, no matter who made em.

http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=5659.0
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS 28564-LTG-Regulator, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Founding member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters.  Member:  The Ozarks Posse, Southern Missouri Rangers, Moniteau Creek River Raiders, Butterfield Trail Cowboys.

Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 10:47:19 PM »
All four of Pettifogger's articles are in the library:
http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php?topic=473.0

Fingers is, of course (naturally!) correct; the guts all look the same.

Offline Fingers McGee

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 10:56:05 PM »
All four of Pettifogger's articles are in the library:
http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php?topic=473.0

Guess I should see what's in all the folders on this here site.  Might be surprized at what I might find.  Do I need a library card????? ???

Offline Cult

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 11:09:45 PM »
Thank you thank you thank you

I know I used to have those issues of the Chronicle.  I was elated when I saw that he did the series, I have been trying to dig them up since I got back into the hobby.  Can only find one of the issues...

Now its all coming back to me. Check the wear on the hand, check engagement of bolt, stone side of bolt to get it to fit better, stone the bolt arm to alter engagement.  Its just like back in college, scrabbling around to find the correct textbook for the assignment, only to work out that you had the right idea without needing the book.  Having it all back in writing is a godsend.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 11:24:23 PM »
I printed out all four (with color pix!) and put them in a loose-leaf binder.
Good reference material to have around the house!

No, Fingers, you do NOT need a library card.
Hats off to ET for putting together our superb and diverse library. Spend a few hours in there, guys. Some good stuff.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 11:26:10 PM by Captainkirk »

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 10:06:01 AM »
thanx fer the kudos guys, i look at who's online often and ive determined all the work in putting the library together was pretty much wasted on here )L$ )L$
  it remains the least used column on this forum! (?^
if yall get this way,drop on by!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 11:07:03 AM »
I disagree.
The reference material is all there, labeled so we can find it easily when we need it. I can't tell you how many times I've jumped in there to look something up quickly or check a fact or two.
I think it's one of the highlights of the forum.
Great job, ET! _l

Offline Fingers McGee

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 11:42:59 AM »
Good job ET.  I promise I'll visit there more often  :9)

Offline Lizardo

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2011, 10:41:50 PM »
This is a real score! ET, I use the library quite a bit and excellent job on the material!
Weebles wobble but they won't fall down...