1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Shoulder Stock for 1858?  (Read 129 times)

Offline GrayFox

Shoulder Stock for 1858?
« on: July 10, 2019, 11:54:07 AM »
Was there ever a shoulder stock for the '58 produced?  If so is there a replica made now?  GF

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: Shoulder Stock for 1858?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 12:15:20 PM »
Yes & yes.   There was even a shoulder stock with a canteen built into the stock.    Now the replicas are available through several vendors.

Offline Calibre32

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 04:59:12 PM »
 Sure like to see one............Jim
I was here and you are not, now you are here and I am not

Offline Miguel Loco

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 06:00:05 PM »
Taylor's has them for the '58.....also the 51 and 60 colts. I believe Cabela's sold a brass frame 12" barreled 58 with a stock they called the "Buffalo Gun"..... I'm sure the others can add more.....I also attached a video....

https://www.taylorsfirearms.com/pietta-shoulder-stock-parts.html

-Mick
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando"

Offline GrayFox

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 06:59:12 PM »
I found a link on Old South Firearms to the one made by Pietta, and it looks similar in design to the one for the Colt.  It says that they send a longer double headed bolt to replace the hammer bolt which is what is done with the '51 Navy.  It doesn't specify, but it would seem logical that the longer barreled buffalo '58s have the notch in the pistol butt for the stock clamp like the '60 Army does.  That would seem to rule out using the stock on a normal '58 without the notch.  Anyone know for sure?  GF

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 07:12:30 PM »
I found a link on Old South Firearms to the one made by Pietta, and it looks similar in design to the one for the Colt.  It says that they send a longer double headed bolt to replace the hammer bolt which is what is done with the '51 Navy.  It doesn't specify, but it would seem logical that the longer barreled buffalo '58s have the notch in the pistol butt for the stock clamp like the '60 Army does.  That would seem to rule out using the stock on a normal '58 without the notch.  Anyone know for sure?  GF

From what I found on a quick search some Buffalo's have a notch and some don't and target models apparently have a notch. The stocks won't work without a notch.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 07:18:29 PM »
Up until a few months ago I owned a Buffalo with a shoulder stock.   My Buffalo was steel framed and did not have a notch for the shoulder stock attachment.    It made no difference what so ever.   The stock was secure and never came loose in 5 years of shooting it. 

Offline SourMashII

• Forum Legend
  • Smokin'......
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 07:40:49 PM »
Up until a few months ago I owned a Buffalo with a shoulder stock.   My Buffalo was steel framed and did not have a notch for the shoulder stock attachment.    It made no difference what so ever.   The stock was secure and never came loose in 5 years of shooting it.
Isn't the common take-away from those who shoot the stocked '58, that it puts the "fiery part" too close to the face, and powder burn reports, cap fragmentation, to the whisker bearing surfaces is a common thing?
Soaking this up like a Parched sponge.

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 09:17:16 PM »
Yep,  it's a common complaint but I wouldn't let that influence me too much.      There's a lot of pussies around anymore.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 09:27:31 PM »

Cool  8)
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.