1858 remington forum

Author Topic: NAA Super Companion Chrono Test  (Read 86 times)

Offline WECSOG

NAA Super Companion Chrono Test
« on: July 08, 2019, 05:35:00 PM »
I haven't been able to find any actual chronograph data on any of the NAA Companion series. Even NAA makes no velocity claims.  Today I got around to doing a very rudimentary test; just a cylinderful across my F1 Chrony. Not exhaustive I know, but it's better than nothing.  :-*

This is from my Super Companion (the one with the Magnum frame) with 1-5/8" barrel. The load consists of the factory 30 grain bullet over one (factory supplied) scoop of 4Fg Swiss powder and a Remington No. 10 cap. Velocity was pretty variable, with a low of about 533 and a high of about 632. Mostly on the upper end of that scale. 

I know it's not much data, but it's more than we had before.  ])M

I'm actually pleased with it. It's a useful power level. I was expecting sub-500 fps velocities. As it is, energy is in the 18-27 fpe range. As an airgun hunter, I can certainly live with that. My favorite hunting airguns are the .22 caliber Benjamin and .20 caliber Sheridan pumpers, both of which generate about 15 fpe. And I know how well they will kill all manner of small game and pests.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
Re: NAA Super Companion Chrono Test
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 06:32:56 AM »
WECSOG, Thanks for posting this up.
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 04:09:50 PM »
Interesting.  Thanks for that.  I've wondered about it myself.  Does that load you described fill the chamber?

So now; does it shoot to point of aim?  For small game that would be important.  My self-imposed standard for a gun like that is "golf balls at ten yards".  I have one small percussion pistol which meets that standard of consistently being able to hit golf balls at ten yards, and that's a Uberti Colt Police with the 5.5" barrel and a custom, dovetailed front sight.

I have the NAA "Earl" (22LR & 22WRM cylinders) and the sights are so far off that the combination of vertical and horizontal offset required to hit anything, even at ten yards, is far too much to make it a useable game pistol.  It's around two feet off at that distance, so hitting a small target is a matter of luck.  The only way it'll ever be worth anything is if I fabricate and dovetail a new front sight into it, same as the Uberti 36.  Until then it's just a little belly gun.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline WECSOG

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 10:47:40 PM »
WECSOG, Thanks for posting this up.

You're welcome!

Offline WECSOG

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 10:57:45 PM »
Interesting.  Thanks for that.  I've wondered about it myself.  Does that load you described fill the chamber?

So now; does it shoot to point of aim?  For small game that would be important.  My self-imposed standard for a gun like that is "golf balls at ten yards".  I have one small percussion pistol which meets that standard of consistently being able to hit golf balls at ten yards, and that's a Uberti Colt Police with the 5.5" barrel and a custom, dovetailed front sight.

I have the NAA "Earl" (22LR & 22WRM cylinders) and the sights are so far off that the combination of vertical and horizontal offset required to hit anything, even at ten yards, is far too much to make it a useable game pistol.  It's around two feet off at that distance, so hitting a small target is a matter of luck.  The only way it'll ever be worth anything is if I fabricate and dovetail a new front sight into it, same as the Uberti 36.  Until then it's just a little belly gun.

With a heaping scoop, it fills it to the step in the chamber. I don't think there's any compression, though.

It definitely doesn't hit point of aim. At 7 yards if I keep the sighting plane flat and set the bullseye atop the blade, it hits probably 8 inches low. It is spot on for windage though, and puts them all in an acceptable group.
I can definitely understand why busyhands94 built a rear sight for his. I may do the same.

That's interesting about the Earl. I've thought about getting an Earl Companion. Too bad they don't make a Black Widow Companion! I have a Black Widow with LR and Mag cylinders, and it is very usable both in terms of grips and sights.