1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Safari Arms, Toronto, Canada import from Italy???  (Read 161 times)

Offline Retreever

• Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog!
Safari Arms, Toronto, Canada import from Italy???
« on: June 07, 2019, 07:29:19 AM »
I am trying to determine who might be the maker of a used 1858 Remington replica I just purchased i.e. Pietta, Uberti or someone else.

The story I have so far is the gun was imported from Italy by a company called Safari Arms based in Toronto, Canada. I found a number references to this company name on the Interweb pretty much all related to used black powder long guns.

I am hoping there is someone on this forum that may know the history and be able to tell me who the actual maker of the gun was?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Retreever
Management and Ops consulting pro providing tactical sales and business solutions. Gundog Trainer, Power Lifter Wannabe

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: Safari Arms, Toronto, Canada import from Italy???
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 09:23:16 AM »
There should be a manufacturers logo on it somewhere along with a date code to tell when it was made. Post clear closeup pics of all the markings on it.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Hellgate

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 09:25:14 AM »
Look on the barrel sides, under the rammer, and even under the cylinder pin on the barrel for the maker’s mark. Tell us what it looks like. Attached is a list of proof marks and Manufacturer's codes.

ASM or SM means Armi San Marco.
ASP means Armi San Poulo which became Euroarms.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 09:40:58 AM by Hellgate »
I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap & ball for having over 15 of them. That's a compliment.
SASS #3302 Life, Regulator,  NRA Life
Wolverton Mtn Peacekeepers
Former Orygun Cowboy Ranger
Posse From Hell (Honorary)
RUCAS#58
DGB#29

Offline Retreever

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 12:09:27 PM »
There should be a manufacturers logo on it somewhere along with a date code to tell when it was made. Post clear closeup pics of all the markings on it.

Thanks Hawg, will post pics as soon as I have the gun it's supposed to be shipped next week.

Regards, Retreever
Management and Ops consulting pro providing tactical sales and business solutions. Gundog Trainer, Power Lifter Wannabe

Offline Retreever

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 12:10:15 PM »
Look on the barrel sides, under the rammer, and even under the cylinder pin on the barrel for the maker’s mark. Tell us what it looks like. Attached is a list of proof marks and Manufacturer's codes.

ASM or SM means Armi San Marco.
ASP means Armi San Poulo which became Euroarms.

Thanks for the proof mark info Hellgate, will post pics as soon as I have the gun it's supposed to be shipped next week.

Regards, Retreever