1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Cylinder Loading Press  (Read 155 times)

Offline Retreever

• Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog!
Cylinder Loading Press
« on: June 02, 2019, 09:04:26 AM »
Hi All, I have introduced myself on a newbie forum so I won't waste space repeating it here - just know that I am a complete newbie, got my Remmie back in December and have yet to shoot it in 'blackpowder' mode ( I also have a .45 Colt conversion cylinder).

Anyway over the winter I watched a bunch of videos about loading the Remmie , one of the items that piqued my curiosity was the various cylinder loading presses. I'm a relatively handy sort so here's my project so far.

The mechanical mechanism was bought on Amazon for about $10.00USD, I made a concave pocket at the end of the hanging bolt with my Dremel tool to cup the ball. The mounting frame is just wood scraps from around the shop.

Now I'm working on the cylinder mounting mechanism - what I'm showing in the pics is my template. The yellow pine block will likely be replaced with a piece of steel plate with a pin to hold the cylinder in place - the white ring is a teflon washer which will sit between the steel plate and the cylinder.

Any comment / suggestions are welcome.

Regards
Retreever
Management and Ops consulting pro providing tactical sales and business solutions. Gundog Trainer, Power Lifter Wannabe

Offline Pustic

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Proud American Hillbilly Infidel & Facebook Felon
Re: Cylinder Loading Press
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 01:42:22 PM »
Looks good, and the important thing is, it works. A lot of people have them and use them and I was thinking of getting one, but so far the loader on the gun does a great job.
{?( Be ye not afraid of the truth, for the "Truth Has No Agenda".  :9)
"If they come to take, they also come to die." Pustic 4:20

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 02:36:24 PM »
Hi Retreever - That looks real nice.  Will the plunger be interchangeable with .36?  You may end up shooting a Navy too.  The Teflon washer is a fine idea. 

I load cylinders on the gun.  It’s what that little lever gizmo thing is for  ;) (just funnin‘).  Works good. 
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 05:29:00 PM »
On the one I built, I made 2 different rams. One each for 36 and 44 balls. I made the plate where the cylinder rests movable to accommodate both calibers and also different makers.

Offline Retreever

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 04:10:51 AM »
Hi Retreever - That looks real nice.  Will the plunger be interchangeable with .36?  You may end up shooting a Navy too.  The Teflon washer is a fine idea. 

I load cylinders on the gun.  It’s what that little lever gizmo thing is for  ;) (just funnin‘).  Works good.

Hey GDog, I haven't had the opportunity to do any 'loading' so far , plan is to get to the outdoor range as soon as the weather turns decent :( then will try it with the gun and with the cylinder loader.

As for your plunger question, that's to be worked out - have to wait till I have the first version operational and then tweak as required.

Regards, Retreever
Management and Ops consulting pro providing tactical sales and business solutions. Gundog Trainer, Power Lifter Wannabe

Offline Retreever

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 04:14:30 AM »
On the one I built, I made 2 different rams. One each for 36 and 44 balls. I made the plate where the cylinder rests movable to accommodate both calibers and also different makers.

Hey mk, my plan for the steel plate is to cut (2) slots, one on either side of the cylinder holding pin so I can slide it back and forth for alignment.

Regards

Retreever

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 11:03:39 AM »
Looks good, R.
Better than the cheesy on for sale on line.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"