1858 remington forum

Author Topic: .45Colt (LC) Reloaded Too Long  (Read 807 times)

Offline Centurion

Re: .45Colt (LC) Reloaded Too Long
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2019, 06:50:02 AM »
OK, so here's the result of my first go around with the impact bullet puller and 'too long' cartridges. Whatever the powder is , it weighed in at 4.5 grains (at least what I recovered from dumping the bullet puller. Anybody know what the red ring around the bullet is? Picture attached.

Regards

Retreever

Just lubricant. Don't worry.

Offline AntiqueSledMan

« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2019, 02:13:58 PM »
Hello Retreever,

The Red Ring is some type of lubricant. You can just throw them in the melting pot, it will smoke for a little while but will work as a flux and mix everything together.

As far as the powder goes, spread it out on the lawn.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2019, 03:04:37 PM »
Yes, it's bullet lube, should be a waxy substance.

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2019, 03:09:25 PM »
Ok, the consensus is I'm an idiot if I shoot the cartridges in question , so I have opted to err on the side common sense and will pull the buggers apart - ordered a bullet puller this morning.

My next question is what to do with the components, obviously brass can be reloaded but what about the powder - how do I dispose of it safely? And the lead bullets I'm assuming the only thing to do with those is melt them down and recast???

Thanks All
Retreever

Sprinkle the powder in your barbecue pan and throw a lit match on it.....................Job done !

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2019, 05:11:20 AM »
Hi Retreever, it looks like a wax lube.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2019, 02:28:53 PM »
Yeah, most any cast bullet will have a lube groove.  You can toss em in the lead pot with the lube, and it'll be fine, SO LONG AS you don't toss a lubed bullet into an already melted batch of lead.  If you do the latter, the lube could vaporize and spit hot lead out at you.  Put em in at the beginning of the warm-up process and all will be well.  I do it now and than, with recovered bullets, or damaged bullets or various rejects.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Retreever

• Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog!
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2019, 02:46:09 PM »
Yeah, most any cast bullet will have a lube groove.  You can toss em in the lead pot with the lube, and it'll be fine, SO LONG AS you don't toss a lubed bullet into an already melted batch of lead.  If you do the latter, the lube could vaporize and spit hot lead out at you.  Put em in at the beginning of the warm-up process and all will be well.  I do it now and than, with recovered bullets, or damaged bullets or various rejects.

Thanks Omnivore
Management and Ops consulting pro providing tactical sales and business solutions. Gundog Trainer, Power Lifter Wannabe

Offline BeoBill

« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2019, 07:11:56 PM »
I tried an inertia bullet puller and was unsatisfied with the result. I use the "pliers" method instead to fix my mistakes:

Offline Retreever

« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2019, 10:46:43 AM »
I tried an inertia bullet puller and was unsatisfied with the result. I use the "pliers" method instead to fix my mistakes:

Oh yeah, I like that much faster then with the impact puller , here's a Dropbox link to a video of me doing this with a Lee Single Stage Press. Too me about 20 mins to do 80 cartridges.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m7h7yd9dasj3kl4/BulletPulling.mp4?dl=0

Thanks BeoBill for the tip.
Management and Ops consulting pro providing tactical sales and business solutions. Gundog Trainer, Power Lifter Wannabe

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2019, 03:46:34 PM »
The inertial puller works very well, especially for heavy bullets like 45s, but ONLY if you have a very solid, heavy surface to hit with it.  Most home floors or bench tops have too much "give" to them, and you'll beat yourself up (and annoy anyone else in the house) trying to pull just one bullet.  A smooth, concrete floor makes an excellent striking surface, but a heavy vice or anvil will do as well, so long as your aim is OK.  Don’t do it on ceramic tile, as you’ll probably break tiles.  Also; you need to develop a good swing, and a straight-on impact, and not worry about over-doing it.  That takes a bit of practice. Don’t try to force the puller into the striking surface, but rather, develop a high-velocity impact.  Big difference.  The object is to develop the highest peak G-force on impact.  Use a looong swing and a sharp impact, and you’ll the bullet out in one or two whacks, every time.  Wear eye protection.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2019, 10:53:56 AM »
Well, I ain't no rocket syntist cyontest sayontest scientist, but I would say definitely NOT Trail Boss.
Ya done good, pilgrim, by pullin' them that boolits and fertilizing the garden.
Never, never, EVER assume with handloads. Never!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Pustic

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Proud American Hillbilly Infidel & Facebook Felon
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2019, 07:18:12 PM »
Retreever, by looking at the powder, I would say it's not Trail Boss. The best thing to do with it, pour it into a container and then dump it in your garden, or pour it down an ant hill or down a yellow jacket nest and set it on fire. Do not reload with it. Can you get a hold of the guy you got them from and find out what powder it is? If so, you might be able to do something with it. If not, do not reload with it.
{?( Be ye not afraid of the truth, for the "Truth Has No Agenda".  :9)
"If they come to take, they also come to die." Pustic 4:20

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Offline Retreever

« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2019, 03:29:21 AM »
Just to update, powder has been ceremoniously dumped on the lawn.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Regards, Retreever

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2019, 11:10:24 AM »
Yup, and you still got all ten (fingers). Ya done good! ;)
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2019, 01:31:59 PM »
I use the impact "puller" for most mistakes....powder, length, primer, etc. I have used the pliers method for the obstinate, hard to remove bullets. You can probably reload most of the impact-pulled bullets, but the pliers will mark the bullet (usually). For impact pulling, I use a short length of 4" X 4" pressure treated wood stood on end on my concrete basement floor. Once you get the technique down, you should be able to dislodge the bullet with one sharp snap of the wrist.