1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Desert Shootin  (Read 410 times)

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Desert Shootin
« on: March 29, 2019, 08:07:31 PM »
I spent a few days in New Mexico last week visiting my son, daughter in law, and grandkids.    I took the opportunity to bring a few guns along and get some shooting in.   3 rifles and 4 handguns were heated up over 3 days and my ammo reserve was depleted by several hundred rounds.   All the guns functioned perfectly with one minor exception.   Goex Black powder was used for all the loads in all the guns whether metal cartridge, paper cartridge, or loose powder.
I use a 10 inch steel gong target  and estimate distances for the most part so no real range data here,  lots of photos because that's really what most of us want anyway.

Pietta 1860 half fluted cylinder.   The only percussion revolver I brought this time.  Both paper cartridges and loose powder/projectiles were loaded and fired.    Appx. 150 rounds went through this revolver.

1871 Richards/Mason  45 Colt

1860 Thuer Drop-in conversion.    This is the only gun that I had a problem with.   On the first shot the loading lever catch came loose from the dovetail on the barrel.  It happened last time I fired this gun, I thought I had it fixed but I guess not.  I put the lever catch in my pocket and kept loading it up like nothing happened.

1875 Remington  45 Colt    I fired this one more than any of the others.  I am getting to like it more all the time.   Biggest problem is the cylinder pin is small and binds up no matter what you lube with.

1860 Henry Rifle  44 WCF    This old Uberti is just fun to shoot.

1892 Winchester  SR Carbine 44WCF    Also fun to shoot and looks good too.

1872 Sharps Sporting Rifle 45-70 (IAB Marcheno)       This rifle will shoot farther than I can see.  Lots of powder and big heavy bullets.

I don't get many chances to shoot anymore so I try to take advantage of any opportunity I get.

Offline SourMashII

• Forum Legend
  • Smokin'......
Re: Desert Shootin
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 11:39:41 PM »
Looks like a good time for sure, unless you were a target. :-*
Soaking this up like a Parched sponge.

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 09:27:56 AM »
Thanks for the range report, Mike.
Great photos!

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 02:30:30 PM »
I love desert country and New Mexico, too.  There are spots there that seem like Center of Earth.  It’s a vibe thing, you might say.  What a great report, Mike - pictures of great guns, topography -  just arythang. The photos are to study and stare at.  Please move to the head of the class, with our thanks.
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 02:50:56 PM »
Glad you all like the photos.    I don't keep targets or keep track of every load and every shot.   I just load up and shoot for fun so the pics are about all I have to post.

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 05:53:42 PM »
Looks like you had yourself a blast mike. Thanks for posting.
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 04:46:16 AM »
So in New Mexico anybody can just go out into the desert on public land set up and shoot, where safe to do so ?

WOW, I need to move !

Offline SourMashII

• Forum Legend
  • Smokin'......
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2019, 11:13:03 AM »
So in New Mexico anybody can just go out into the desert on public land set up and shoot, where safe to do so ?

WOW, I need to move !
Idaho's the same. It's not a horrible thing out here on the west side of the Mississippi.
Soaking this up like a Parched sponge.

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2019, 11:42:03 AM »

WOW, I need to move !

Yes,  public land is open for shooting unless posted otherwise.     The land I was shooting on is a private ranch.  My son manages a 75 thousand acre piece of the ranch and works with another guy who manages another 80 thousand acre piece.

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2019, 12:27:31 PM »
  It's nice to have those kind of connections to private land for shooting on. When you're on National Forrest or BLM land you always have to be prepared to confront a Ranger, Game Warden, Sheriff or some kind of cop.
Brad Potter, hardware junky.

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2019, 01:08:26 PM »
I wish this ranch were closer,  it's an 8 1/2 hour drive for me.   In Colorado, on the eastern slope anyway it's near impossible to shoot on public land.   If the access areas aren't already filled with trigger happy juveniles playing Rat Patrol then the places are so trashed out that you don't want to be there.   In addition, you will be contacted by someone either opposed to what you are doing or suspicious of your activities.   Shooting on public land here is a no win situation.

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2019, 01:53:12 PM »
  I had a bad experience merely for doing open carry in the national forest. which is totally legal. Even though I had fired no shots, some Sierra Club types had spotted me packing a revolver and reported me as hunting to the Fish Cops. When I came out of the wilderness to the trail head a game warden was waiting for me and really ran me through the ringer. He told me he had already gone through my base camp and run the plates on my vehicle. He took my drivers license number and called that in to check for warrants and also ran the serial numbers on my revolver. He also searched the interior of my truck and questioned why I was wearing some garments that were camo. After my ID and revolver came back clean ( I have no crimminal record and the gun is registered in my name) he still asked me me several times if I had any warrants. This was only a few years ago, so it wasn't like I was a punk kid with tats and piercings. I'm clean cut and in my sixties.
  This is why I say you have to be prepared for a confrontation with Johnny Law if you shoot on public property.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2019, 02:05:06 PM »
Yolla, that sucks Bud!

I mean, I have been in that spot too.

Some of these game wardens, and just about any one with a badge in law...just waste my time on me.
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2019, 04:30:24 PM »
Awesome, Mike!  Thanks for sharing.  It looks like your holster maker knows what he's doing too  :P

Yolla; you were accosted by a Roman.  It's the mindset of Ancient Rome, which is alive and well today, even here.  They see you as committing a heresy (whether it's legal or not makes no difference), and thus you are an enemy.  They take personal offense to citizen armament, as a challenge to their total and infallible authority.  He just wanted to make sure you knew who was bloody well in charge, that he is the authority and not those who pay his salary.  Fighting crime has not a whit to do with it either.

In Idaho the very few times I've been approached by sheriff's deputies were because they were interested in the guns were were using and wanted to know more, and to chat abut shooting and guns, family ties, acquaintances; just regular neighborly stuff and without checking our IDs or any dumb stuff like that.  I'm sure there are exceptions hereabouts, but they are few and I've never run into one except for one city cop in the city of Moscow and he was relatively benign, just a nervous nelly.  In Whitman county Washington (eastern border town) the local cops took it upon themselves to get my last carry permit laminated for me, and hand-delivered it to my house.

There are of course many classifications of federal and state lands, so it help to know where you are.  One area I like is in national forest but it's on lease to a timber company.  That company sells "use permits", for recreational purposes, specifically listing hunting and shooting among the uses.  It's very loosely enforced, and has nothing to do with fed, state or local law per se, but is an agreement between private individuals and the timber company.  Still, I like to pitch in as an acknowledgement and thanks.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• Forum Legend
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2019, 04:46:35 PM »
Mad Dog and Omni,
      I caved in to that warden and allowed him to see my ID and search my vehicle. I figured I had done nothing wrong, had nothing to hide and would just take the path of least resistance by giving him whatever he wanted. However the experience left me feeling violated and since then I have done a lot of studying on how to exercise your 4th and 5th amendment rights. I will never let a LEO jerk me around like that again when I have done nothing wrong. A big part of this is always having a video camera (smart phone) with you so you can record the encounter with the cop. Most officers I've encountered have been cool but you never know when you'll encounter one that is power tripping. I returned to that same place last year and talked to some people that hunt there. I told them about my experience and they said, "oh yes, Warden Smith is aggressive".