1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Santa Barbara  (Read 343 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
Santa Barbara
« on: March 28, 2019, 11:52:53 AM »
Came across a well-used Santa Barbara at the LGS yesterday, the price is right but I really don't need another Remmy. While lock-up, cylinder gap and action are very crisp and tight, there is some light surface rust, bluing worn thin and "ring around the collar" (cylinder drag line) present. It's not pristine by any means and again, don't really need another Remmy. But...would I be passing on a collectible if I let it slip on by?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Santa Barbara
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 01:32:50 PM »
The price being right and that you like it are the operative considerations here.  Whether you need it is irrelevant.          (?^

Surface rust can be dealt with.  Bolt drag on the cylinder can be a buzz-kill, sure, but maybe we’ve seen worse.  You’d best just buy it, take it home and work out the collateral details later on.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 01:37:20 PM by G Dog »
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 08:20:19 AM »
I say, if ya got the money...go on and buy it. You can always sell it on here.
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 09:35:56 AM »
I'd gopherit. Santa Barbara's from what I hear are better than Uberti or Pietta.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline LonesomePigeon

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 10:18:39 AM »
Yes! If the price was right, the bore & chambers good and the action good I would absolutely buy it. I would not worry about light surface rust, thin bluing or drag line unless you just want a pristine collector piece. These guns are very sought after by match Shooter's in Spain, and often mentioned in the same vein as Hege and Pedersoli match grade guns. The chambers are correctly sized to the bore yet the chamber walls are still thick. Take a close look at the cylinder, much thicker walls than a Pietta Shooter's Model for sure.

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 12:28:58 PM »
I'll take a closer look next time I'm up that way and maybe even get some pix. Still paying off my Winchester '66, so I'd have to wait 'til that deal is done.

Offline Bishop Creek

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 04:35:09 PM »
Isn't that a Santa Barbara in the photo posted at the top of this forum?

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 05:30:17 PM »
Yes.  One of the late Smokin Gun's guns with the Mojave Desert reflected.  He owned a serious collection.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 05:34:37 PM by G Dog »
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Bishop Creek

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 07:05:52 PM »
Thanks for the original pics G Dog. I had forgotten that it belonged to Smokin Gun. I was very sorry to hear the news when he passed.

Offline sltm1

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 09:38:47 AM »
I can't hear the words "Santa Barbara", without thinkin about ole SG
Life's tough...it's tougher when yer stupid !!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2019, 12:39:37 PM »
Isn't that a Santa Barbara in the photo posted at the top of this forum?

Pretty sure the banner photo is SG's 'Rattlesnake' Remmy.

FWIW, I put some earnest money down on the Santa Barbara today. I got a pretty good deal IMHO, so as G said, whether I need it or not is irrelevant. M__

In no hurry to pay it off as I got plenty of Remmies to play with in the interim. One thing that's puzzling, though...I looked everywhere I could without disassembly but could find no date code anywhere. Do the SB's use a different dating system than the Italian repros? (^h

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2019, 01:01:09 PM »
Well they're made in Spain so they wouldn't use Italian date codes. I did a quick search and none of the typical Spanish dating systems seem to work on SB's.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2019, 02:22:05 PM »
Info on Santa Barbara revolvers.     http://www.santa-barbara-1858.org/index.php/en/project-1858

The revolver in the banner photo is an Engraved Santa Barbara that SG owned.  It's not the Rattle Snake model.   He owned both.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2019, 01:42:44 PM »
Hmm...the more I read about the Santa Barbara, the more I think I got a real steal on this one!
I think it will clean up nicely once I get it home, and all the buzz on the 'net is that these were designed more for accuracy (i.e."shooters") than dead-nuts replica accuracy. And the steel is supposedly a far better grade than the Italian replicas.