1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Removing safety pins, facing recoil surfaces  (Read 1665 times)

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• Forum Legend
Re: Removing safety pins, facing recoil surfaces
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2019, 01:28:46 PM »
   I do run across the loose pin or missing pin (both pins on a couple of occasions!) now and then and rather than use my good drill bits ( good reason maybe to keep old ones! .  .  .  hmmm) 
Mike

No need to chop up drill bits to make pins Mike. "Drill rod" is available in one to three foot lengths from industrial supply places like McMaster. It's typically soft tool steel precisely ground to drill sizes, (fraction, number, letter or metric). Don't confuse it with drill or reamer blanks, they are harder then Kelsey's nuts.
Brad Potter, hardware junky.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2019, 05:30:03 PM »
Thank you for your responses guys.  I really appreciate your views and help on this. 

I too “feel“ that these guns should be optimized as much as practicality and circumstance will allow.  That - but at the same time not going emo over matters that don‘t necessarily warrant it.  I’ll order a pin or two from VTI just to have available while I think this over.   In the mean time I’ll continue to use the gun.  It’s a smooth shooter and as accurate and fun as any pistol I own.  I used to have real reservations about brassers generally but this Griswold taught me that fifteen grains can sometimes be as much fun as any full-house load.

Many thanks.
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline 45 Dragoon

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2019, 07:39:30 PM »
Thanks Brad. I get a couple of things from McMaster Carr already, I'll have to look into some drill rod next order!

Sounds good G Dog. Main thing is have fun!!

Mike

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2019, 12:09:26 PM »
Thank you for your responses guys.  I really appreciate your views and help on this. 

I too “feel“ that these guns should be optimized as much as practicality and circumstance will allow.  That - but at the same time not going emo over matters that don‘t necessarily warrant it.  I’ll order a pin or two from VTI just to have available while I think this over.   In the mean time I’ll continue to use the gun.  It’s a smooth shooter and as accurate and fun as any pistol I own.  I used to have real reservations about brassers generally but this Griswold taught me that fifteen grains can sometimes be as much fun as any full-house load.

Many thanks.

Ya know, G...my Pietta .44 Navy brasser gets more palm time than any of my other BP guns, even if just while watching westerns on TV. So smooth, perfect timing and lock up, light hammer pull...what's not to like? Full house loads are overrated anyway, IMHO.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2019, 03:50:40 PM »
Full house loads are overrated anyway, IMHO.

No they're not  )L$ I tried to convince myself that 15 grains out of my G&G was the .22 of the bp world  but it didn't work.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2019, 11:41:32 AM »

No they're not  )L$ I tried to convince myself that 15 grains out of my G&G was the .22 of the bp world  but it didn't work.

I think you can do 20gr out of a .44 brasser without over-stressing the frame. I've even shot 25 but not as a steady diet.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2019, 01:52:29 PM »

I think you can do 20gr out of a .44 brasser without over-stressing the frame. I've even shot 25 but not as a steady diet.

I'm gun shy pardon the pun but I almost ruined a .36 Remington with 25 grain loads and it didn't take many of them and of course my G&G is a .36 so I'm scairt.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2019, 02:42:46 PM »
I got a little Oregon bought Goex 3F from a family member and tried 15 grains in a Griswold .36 and it was definitely under-whelming and limp wristed.  I also used the same amount of Pyrodex P and some Black MZ - same result. Then I loaded with 15 grains of T7 and also with some 3F Swiss (from Oregon, again) and learned that such a small charge, with the right powder, really can be quite shootable.  Never thought I’d take to such a light load - but I have, in a brass frame, anyway.

Ima steel frame .44 near to full house load sort of person but damn me if 15 grains of T7 or Swiss in a .36 G&G ain’t a hoot.  Old dogs really can learn something new, if they give it half a chance.  Without a .36 brasser I’d have missed the whole thing.
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2019, 09:14:49 AM »
I got a little Oregon bought Goex 3F from a family member and tried 15 grains in a Griswold .36 and it was definitely under-whelming and limp wristed.  I also used the same amount of Pyrodex P and some Black MZ - same result. Then I loaded with 15 grains of T7 and also with some 3F Swiss (from Oregon, again) and learned that such a small charge, with the right powder, really can be quite shootable.  Never thought I’d take to such a light load - but I have, in a brass frame, anyway.

Ima steel frame .44 near to full house load sort of person but damn me if 15 grains of T7 or Swiss in a .36 G&G ain’t a hoot.  Old dogs really can learn something new, if they give it half a chance.  Without a .36 brasser I’d have missed the whole thing.
Any pressure data on the T7 loads, G?

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2019, 01:06:27 PM »
I have no data.  My thinking is based only upon felt recoil and penetration on pine and redwood lumber pieces.  When talking about Triple 7 the infamous 15% rule comes up and we already know what that can lead to.  In reviewing these discussions I find no consensus whatever on the question of whether safety requires a 15% reduction or whether that reduction is only meant to replicate the shooting characteristics of an equal amount of BP.

A 15% reduction of 15 grains means one should actually pour 12.75 grains.  Without that reduction I suppose the same 15 grains of T7 is equivalent to 17.25 grains of Black. 

I may have overstated the case when I called 15 grains of Black or some subs ‘limp- wristed’.  I’ve never not had fun with that.  T7 and Swiss does nicely up the game, though.

Regarding the actual topic - Cylinder Pins, Removal: I have a  ‘96 [BH] Pietta 1851 that came with no cylinder pins at all.  The area for the pins was marked but not drilled.  I don’t use Colt ‘safety’ pins or Remington notches anyway, so no real loss. 

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2019, 09:26:05 PM »
I have no data.  My thinking is based only upon felt recoil and penetration on pine and redwood lumber pieces.  When talking about Triple 7 the infamous 15% rule comes up and we already know what that can lead to.  In reviewing these discussions I find no consensus whatever on the question of whether safety requires a 15% reduction or whether that reduction is only meant to replicate the shooting characteristics of an equal amount of BP.

It's not a safety issue. It is 15% stronger than an equal amount of bp by volume but with a 15 grain charge you're only talking about 17 grains or so equivalent.