1858 remington forum

Author Topic: 1858 Brasser Conversion  (Read 578 times)

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: 1858 Brasser Conversion
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2019, 06:21:50 PM »
While as a purist the design has no appeal to me at all the base plate should alleviate some of the battering to the recoil shield. I've heard of people installing a steel washer to guns that have the cylinder ratchet imprinted on the recoil shield and the guns have been good to go afterwards.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Tinker Pearce

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2019, 06:30:05 PM »
While as a purist the design has no appeal to me at all the base plate should alleviate some of the battering to the recoil shield. I've heard of people installing a steel washer to guns that have the cylinder ratchet imprinted on the recoil shield and the guns have been good to go afterwards.

Thank you- that's an excellent tip (about the washers.) I will keep that in mind against need!

Offline Shootemup

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2019, 09:22:08 PM »
I don't see a problem with a conversion with a brass frame even with smokeless powder if you keep your loads on the low end.

Its your gun you are the one shooting it, probably most of the time.  If something starts to go wrong frame stretching timing is off or what ever you will notice it and do something about it, stop shooting it or whatever. None of my guns are ever shot without me being there I don't loan them out or shoot any reloads but my own. Not to say I wont some day make a reloading mistake but if I do it is entirely on me. I have been reloading for thirty five years or so and never have had a problem.

Offline Tinker Pearce

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2019, 09:33:21 AM »
I don't see a problem with a conversion with a brass frame even with smokeless powder if you keep your loads on the low end.

Its your gun you are the one shooting it, probably most of the time.  If something starts to go wrong frame stretching timing is off or what ever you will notice it and do something about it, stop shooting it or whatever. None of my guns are ever shot without me being there I don't loan them out or shoot any reloads but my own. Not to say I wont some day make a reloading mistake but if I do it is entirely on me. I have been reloading for thirty five years or so and never have had a problem.

Yep- and this gun will never be fired by anyone but me without my direct supervision (until after I am dead, after which they will be left to a knowledgeable person with complete instructions!)  I've only been reloading for a few years, but in that time I've reloaded thousands of smokeless rounds for BP cartridges and guns, and it's never been an issue because I am careful, do my research and err on the side of caution.  One of the great joys of my life is shooting my antique firearms; I have no interest in damaging them!

Offline Tinker Pearce

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2019, 09:01:41 PM »
Here's the finished kit-

Offline Freedom

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2019, 12:58:29 PM »
That sure is a nice looking kit that you have put together!! Really appreciate you bringing us along. (T^

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2019, 01:15:21 PM »
I'm a traditionalist too but can recognize thoughtful and skillful work when I see it.

Great job of work there, Tinker.  Beautifully done!
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2019, 01:17:42 PM »
The work of a real craftsman!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2019, 03:02:10 PM »
I'm a traditionalist too but can recognize thoughtful and skillful work when I see it.

Great job of work there, Tinker.  Beautifully done!

It is nice work.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2019, 05:21:16 PM »
Very nice!

Having a "steampunk" impression, to my eyes, it reminds me of something that Emmet (Doc) Brown, from the Back to the Future series, would carry while stranded in the 19th Century.  It would have made a nice paring to his scoped lever rifle!
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Dave Shooter

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2019, 06:21:38 PM »
Very nice!

Having a "steampunk" impression, to my eyes, it reminds me of something that Emmet (Doc) Brown, from the Back to the Future series, would carry while stranded in the 19th Century.  It would have made a nice paring to his scoped lever rifle!

I was just thinking that would make a nice movie prop.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2019, 02:22:34 PM »
Yep.  Looks to be an ideal pack to town on Saturday night lil numbuh.
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Tinker Pearce

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2019, 08:17:44 PM »
OK, somerthing went wrong with my .44 Colt loads and they were seriously underpowered- but not completely inaccurate as this 7-yard target shows.

The percussion cylinder also worked well, but with balls loaded it was conspicuously less accurate-

The gun shot a bit low in both cases, so I'll be reducing the height of the front sight. Have to say, I'm quite happy with the gun's performance and function!