Author Topic: Took my new Brasser out for a spin  (Read 3578 times)

Offline Cult

• All for correct sized nipples and lubricated wads
Took my new Brasser out for a spin
« on: September 29, 2011, 09:19:38 PM »
Well today I joined the rest of you who own .36's and got myself a real honest to goodness fake 1851.
Yup, another Sergio and Leone revolver gets added to the collection. ASM is the make, 1989 is the year, Brass framed 1851 with Colts rolled cylinder in .36 (hey at least i got the caliber right this time)

When it arrived it was nice and shiney. Took a couple of looks over it and... no cylinder ring, no nothin... this sucker looks BRAND NEW!!!  I sat there admiring the straight lines, the sharp edges, the lack of residue, the clean brass...... and then reached for the powder!!

Best thing about this is that ALL the stamps are under the barrel hidden by the loading lever, or crammed into a small space where the frame meets barrel.  Very subtle.

Photos show how clean it is...

ASM .36 1851.... still searching for either steel frame or brass frame with no cylinder scene, in .36

Load was 20gr of 777, cork wad, hand cast .375 LB and Cabelas Blackpowder Revolver Lube (very very messy) as icing.

Now i find that i dont have a .38 boresnake and have to actually get the rods out!!

« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 09:22:12 PM by Cult »
Its better collecting Cap n Ball than Milsurp. Although the M1941 Johnson MG is a nice piece of equipment, I would rather get a reputation for sitting around playing with my Remingtons.

Offline Schutzenkette

Re: Took my new Brasser out for a spin
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 10:28:58 PM »
Cult,

Very nice.  Looks like a shooter too.  Congrats on the new revolver.
Schutzenkette

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 10:29:27 PM »
Nice gun, and damn good shooting!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Fingers McGee

• Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 11:01:55 PM »
Nice groups.  I'm guessing the orange dot was your POA to compensate for what you knew to be the true POI.  What distance were you shooting at?  :-*

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS 28564-LTG-Regulator, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Founding member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters.  Member:  The Ozarks Posse, Southern Missouri Rangers, Moniteau Creek River Raiders, Butterfield Trail Cowboys.

Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Cult

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 01:24:58 AM »
yup, took a guess at POA/POI, wasnt much of a guess though, the thing shoots almost the same as my 1860's.  Its a Colt (copy) and therefore shoots high at close ranges.  15 yards is my standard distance out back.

Tomorrow it gets fed Conical and Teardrop.
Its better collecting Cap n Ball than Milsurp. Although the M1941 Johnson MG is a nice piece of equipment, I would rather get a reputation for sitting around playing with my Remingtons.

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 05:30:52 AM »
hey charlie, im quickly becoming a fan of the 36 also! they usually got a smokin deal on the 51s at the cabellas bargain cave!
if yall get this way,drop on by!

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 10:53:29 AM »
Cult, I like it.

Might have to get me one.  ;)
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Cult

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 03:19:37 PM »
                                            ben looking for a 36 a long time , there's no bp anything in my area and I wont give what they want for used ones on the auctions so will probably get a new one when I can , thats a nice gun , let us know about the new loads.

Recently I have been looking around this place and saying to myself "You know what, you dont need 3 mousers, 11 enfields, etc. etc", So, things have been going through Gunbroker both ways.

I have though worked out a 'plan of attack'
Check GunsAmerica, Auctionarms, and GunBroker

GunsAmerica is best for the CHEAP stuff.  I have recently seen replicas going for $99 and $125. These get snapped up FAST, I have also seen those exact guns then appear on GunBroker at DOUBLE the price.  Thing about GunsAmerica is that you can buy straight instead of auction.

Gunbroker and AuctionArms are both straight auctions.  Look for the deals that are just appearing (ie brand new auctions), look at the breaks of "3 days", "5 days", "7 days" and "10 days" as these are the length of the auctions.   If something states 4days 16hrs of a 5 day auction and it has a BIN price of $150 then BUY IT NOW.

My recent paid prices for ".36's"

Navy Arms .44 1851 Brass = $150
ASM .36 1851 Brass = $300 including solid oak presentation box (looks old) and kit for box
EIG ASM S&G .36 Brass engraved = $250
unknown manufac .36 1851 Brass = $125

and

.36 Remington New Model Navy = $750

OK, i am 'trading up' my old military rifles for the new collection of blackpowders..... but.. there ARE good deals out there if you know where to look.

Seeing as you can pay >$200 or MORE for a replica (not counting the Bargain Basements wait 5 months for your revolver sales) then I think that I did rather well on the 'collectables' I got.

As pointed out before, whats the point of something that you aint gonna use??

a 1916 dates DWM P08 with all markings, etc or an AC42 P38 with police markings and correct eagles, etc..... well these looked nice but i was worried that shooting them wouldnt be a good idea.  For a start the 9mm Para that we are buying now is 25%-40% more powerful than the rounds originally used in these weapons... you dont get that prob with Black Powder, ok... well we have 777

Offline Geraldo

• Lead singer and driver of the Winnebago
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 05:30:28 PM »
Cult, I like it.

Might have to get me one.  ;)

The time is now, Sam.  Cabelas has Sergio and Leone .44 brassers for $129.99.

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 09:23:33 PM »
Nice looking Colt Cult. I believe you came out on top of this one. I like a little 51 long as it's a straight shooter. The steel frames are a little more gun if you want to shoot the heaver loads. I don't see no need for a heavy load if you can't hit anything with it. ( some can some can't ). I don't seem to have good luck with heavy loads most of the time there is no grouping, the rd balls hit all over the target looks like the target was hit with buck shot at long range. By the way Cult that is a nice group you have there. watching you guys getting good deals has got me watching gun broker, GunsAmerica and a couple other sites.  :)
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.