1858 remington forum

Author Topic: cylinder loader  (Read 489 times)

Offline Fred78

• Blackpowder shooter for 58 years
cylinder loader
« on: January 16, 2019, 01:08:48 PM »
Does anyone know if Dick Dastardly is still making the tower of power?

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: cylinder loader
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 02:00:09 PM »
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 05:30:30 PM »
Hawg;  Linky no worky, but anyone can go to biglube.com and go from there.  It's listed under "Bullet Extras".

They don't appear to address the issue of rammer tips, which they call "jags", matching any particular bullet nose profiles.  The concept is the same as having a correct "top punch" for a lube sizer press, or a "seating stem" in a seating die for modern cartridge reloading, except that load pressure is often greater than the pressure required for sizing or seating, and the pure lead bullets are generally more easily deformed.

Other than the above it looks to be a well concieved machine.

One could always custom form-fit any number of rammers for it, by hollowing out the rammer tip and using JB Weld epoxy with a release agent on the bullet, and thus have a perfect fit to any bullet nose profile.  That is in fact precisely what a number of metal cartridge reloaders have done with their seating stems and such, or for a custom top punch for sizing, and I've done a number of them for the on-the-gun loading rammers for various bullets in 36 and 44 calibers.  It's fairly quick and easy once you unserstand the order of operations, and how to manage the epoxy.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Capnball

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 04:27:00 AM »
There I see a tower of power on ebay right now for $200. Should be able to get two at that price!

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 05:42:07 AM »
Hi Fred, welcome to the group. A few years ago I purchased the Tower of Power from biglube, <$100. I was looking for loading nose sizes not with the kit. Dick at biglube offered to make me any sizes I wanted for ~$5/item. Another lower cost path to take is to buy an arbor press and make your own noses, see:

http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php/topic,10614.msg181294.html#msg181294

The arbor press can also load harder projectiles than the Tower of Power.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 07:19:17 AM »
Hi Fred78, jump on over to the "Welcome Wagon" and tell us a few things about yourself.

How did you find this Great forum?
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Pustic

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Proud American Hillbilly Infidel & Facebook Felon
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 10:12:42 AM »
For the price of the Tower of Power, I'll just keep loading with the loader that's on the gun itself. I can save that money and use it for buying ham equipment.
{?( Be ye not afraid of the truth, for the "Truth Has No Agenda".  :9)
"If they come to take, they also come to die." Pustic 4:20

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.